Summer of cricket Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

The new UK strain started in Kent during their outbreak. I live in South East London (bordering Kent) and know people who have COVID.

Since March 2020 I have hardly left the house, with 14 weeks where I didn’t leave the house at all. We went to dinner for my wife’s birthday in October and sat in a plastic box and felt petrified. Grabbed a couple of takeaway coffees but that’s all in 9 months!

It’s a tough life here at the mo. We are all at home as I was made redundant in October and school is online for my kids.

Had a doctor I know on the edge of tears describing how two of his colleagues have died and how young people are dying and NHS staff are in tears after every shift.

DO NOT TAKE ANY RISKS- THIS STRAIN IS HIGHLY TRANSMISSIBLE AND KILLS!
I hope you and your wife are ok and our thoughts are with you and your neighbours. I lived in London for ten years and around 60% of those I know and communicate with now have had the Rona and have explained that it is not a @$%$ great experience at all. I don't see any significant international sport happening this year, even with the vaccine due to the vast number of people required to run a significant event.

I hope you and your wife are ok and our thoughts are with you and your neighbours. I lived in London for ten years and around 60% of those I know and communicate with now have had the Rona and have explained that it is not a @$%$ great experience at all. I don't see any significant international sport happening this year, even with the vaccine due to the vast number of people required to run a significant event.

Thanks so much for your concern. I talk about our tough year but we are lucky compared to many.

I live in a nice house in a nice area, with a garden. I feel for the people we know in high rise flats.

My kids and I have Australian passports and my wife has a partner visa application.

There is a wave of returning Aussies coming as there are 100k partner visa applications being processed at the moment.

This is good for Australia as many are experienced professionals from Britain, Europe and the US. Many own properties in those countries that will fund their new lives.

Gotta stay positive or this will kill you. Also gotta realise many people have suffered worse in the past. Elderly family friend used to tell me his Gallipoli experiences. Makes me feel lucky!

Tim Paine: I was not the leader I should have been in Sydney

I don’t know if everyone does this, but when I do get a quiet moment in life – they are few and far between these days – I like to sit alone with my thoughts and review recent events.

That, as I explained, is how I came to realise I had let myself down, the team down and let Australian fans down by losing composure on that last day at the SCG.

I was not the leader I should be. I pride myself on being the cool, calm, clear captain who has a positive effect on the mood of his teammates, not a negative one.

People get agitated and angry in sport and I’ve always seen my role as the one who defuses that and gets them focused on what they need to do or what the team needs them to do.

For a moment there I was that one. I wasn’t as focused or as happy playing cricket as I usually am.

I didn’t make our team better and that’s my job. I can’t remember that happening to me before and I am determined it will not happen again.

I’ll often seek advice from captains who have been here before me and I’ll give Ricky Ponting and maybe Steve Waugh a call at some stage to get their take on it.

Do I have anything to add? I don’t think so, my motivation was to address the issue, acknowledge what I did and move on.

Some of the criticism has been pretty strong and when it came to Steve Smith’s ‘incident’ just over the top.

Poor Smithy, he was horrified when he saw how that had been received. We are constantly amused by his mannerisms and obsessions, others might find them annoying, but I can assure you this is something he does all the time, it’s harmless, it does not change anything for the batsmen and maybe his critics need to get a bit of a grip.

In no way has any of this turned me off the stump mic.

I love the stump mic, it allows people an insight into the way we play and what is going on.

There can be a lot of inane chatter when you’ve got Marnus and Wadey and me hanging around together for five days, but I imagine most workplaces are the same.

Sometimes you see the best of us, occasionally we’re not at our best, but it brings people closer to the game and I think that is gold.

I have to be better with my language when I’m talking to Blocker Wilson, Boony has made that clear by fining me.

We’re in Brisbane now and on the last leg of what is a fantastic cricket series. The three matches have been as good as any I have been involved in.

We’ve got some injury concerns, some I’ll tell you about and others I won’t be mentioning anywhere near here or a stump mic. Just quietly, however, you would be amazed at what some of our blokes put themselves through just to get out on the park or stay on it.

They don’t complain and they wouldn’t be listened to if they did, but some of the courage to push through pain that I witness at first hand is quite remarkable.

The privilege of playing Test cricket means people are willing to put up with a hell of a lot of discomfort.

The best part about Sydney for us was finally getting that Baggy Green on Will Pucovski’s head. He’s a great kid. I’ve found myself drawn to him and Cameron Green and while I’m not sure what that says about me I know it says that they’re two very mature young men who love playing Test cricket and their love of the game is infectious.

Most of us are terrified when we make our debut, but these two took to Test cricket like they’d been born to play it. Now that I say it, I’m not sure they weren’t born to play it.

Will has had to have a scan on his shoulder and we’ll be watching his progress closely. Davey Warner is very sore but would do anything to play for his country.

People are asking about our quicks but they are absolute professionals, they’re seasoned, they have hard bodies and they will be ready to go. You have to respect them for that.

It’s Gazza’s 100th Test and I’m pumped for him. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have a bloke like Nathan Lyon in my cricket team. It’s a privilege to stand behind the stumps to his bowling, it is one of the joys of the job.

I let him down the other day, but I will bounce back and get him that 400th wicket. His family are in quarantine up here in Brisbane so they can see him.

He is our song master, our friend, and an exceptional cricketer.

Series is destined to be tied, against a second rate Indian team. At home. It is honestly embarrassing!
I’d say second string, not second rate. They’ve played too well to be called second rate.

Its a real worry how soft this team is right after big games where everything should be going our way, we followed up our great escape in uae with an awful display same in the ashes where the team acted like the series was won before the fifth test and now in this series rolling india was forgotten soon after with such a limp boxing day test performance.

You don't want to get too down over a loss but not getting carried away with big wins matters as well and i think there are some real concerns that langer and paine don't keep our guys focused enough after big results go our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in case anyone is wondering, it's 14 days since the start of the SCG test, and it did not cause a death wave.
Shame on greedy CA for costing us the series by not scheduling back-to-back Tests in our fortress that is Sydney. The only Australian state capital we haven't lost a Test in during the last 18 years (or 10, whatever it is).

Given all the doom-sayers disappeared without a trace, someone has to remind them! besides, it's hardly hindsight to know that NSW would comfortably test, trace & isolate their way to safety without resorting to a city-wide lock down, given we'd done it before.

it was always an insanely stupid conversation. Weirder still was QLD hosting a test match only days after they saw fit to lock down an entire city and barely any eye lids being raised.

hopefully we've all learnt something from this and the next time it happens, the conversation is a bit more sensible.

Given all the doom-sayers disappeared without a trace, someone has to remind them! besides, it's hardly hindsight to know that NSW would comfortably test, trace & isolate their way to safety without resorting to a city-wide lock down, given we'd done it before.

it was always an insanely stupid conversation. Weirder still was QLD hosting a test match only days after they saw fit to lock down an entire city and barely any eye lids being raised.

hopefully we've all learnt something from this and the next time it happens, the conversation is a bit more sensible.

It's also interesting to note that the initial requirement was the team coming from Sydney had to complete 14 days quarantine in Brisbane, so they'd be stuck in quarantine after the test. Obviously that changed!

Looks like they are going to play the Afghanistan Test in Hobart.

Also Ireland could be playing 1 Test in Hobart in the following summer.

Looks like they are going to play the Afghanistan Test in Hobart.

Also Ireland could be playing 1 Test in Hobart in the following summer.

A welcome surprise, CA look committed to five Tests a summer and no more given both the media deals and what got into the FTP. It seemed Hobart and Canberra had seen their last Tests.

Really happy with CA finally greenlighting these Test matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back