Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Breaking: Gabba Test in doubt as India declare they will NOT fly to Brisbane

So, what happens now?
What happens if we are at the Gabba for the last test and they don’t rock up. It would have to be a forfeit. It is an important test to win in Sydney because if we are up 2-1 it will make India look weak not going up there.

We storm the SCG and demand they fly to Brisbane?
Surely we storm their hotel, kidnap them and force them onto planes bound for Brisbane...

So the players and fans want it?

Yeah better not bother then

Don't you know it's more important what the BCCI & Indian players want than what the Aussie players & home fans want from a home series

All indication so far is that the Aussies want to play in Brisbane - at the conclusion of this match we should fly north to Brisbane and if India want to sulk in Sydney let them forfeit the match

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Don't you know it's more important what the BCCI & Indian players want than what the Aussie players & home fans want from a home series

All indication so far is that the Aussies want to play in Brisbane - at the conclusion of this match we should fly north to Brisbane and if India want to sulk in Sydney let them forfeit the match
That would be amazing. I doubt we'll do it though, we generally cave to the BCCI, but I'd love to see us just say lul we win, you forfeited.

I guess that would just result in an abandoned series, leaving no one as the official winner of the series, no?

Perth bloke

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Fox news is reporting this tour is worth $300million to CA so they'll happily play the fourth test in Brad Haddins backyard if India want it

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
image (4).jpg

Gideon proving again why he's the Country's best cricket writer

India are a bunch of sooks. I don't get the being treated differently/worse than the public argument that's being pushed in the media. Qld have locked the borders to NSW, so to play in Brisbane certain things need to be sacrificed, things they would have signed off on as part of the decision to play this test in Sydney.

Like the last tour (no day/night test, no Brisbane test) it seems that India are attempting to handpick venues that suit their batsmen. I would have said team, but I reckon Bumrah would love bowling at the Gabba.

When sides play in India it's on wickets of India's choosing. Bugger them, it's our home series they should play where we say. I hope CA don't pander to the mighty $, but with their history of doing that recently anything is possible.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
India are a bunch of sooks. I don't get the being treated differently/worse than the public argument that's being pushed in the media. Qld have locked the borders to NSW, so to play in Brisbane certain things need to be sacrificed, things they would have signed off on as part of the decision to play this test in Sydney.

Like the last tour (no day/night test, no Brisbane test) it seems that India are attempting to handpick venues that suit their batsmen. I would have said team, but I reckon Bumrah would love bowling at the Gabba.

When sides play in India it's on wickets of India's choosing. Bugger them, it's our home series they should play where we say. I hope CA don't pander to the mighty $, but with their history of doing that recently anything is possible.

Rahane saying that life in Sydney is going on like normal indicates to me they are delusional

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars

Even more delusional seeing as Starc said it’ll be under pretty much the same conditions as Sydney, where ever they play it will be the same protocols. What will the players actually want to do they’re at the ground for more than 10 hours a day, during a test it is playing and recovery. There is only 3 days in between the tests, it’s not like they are locked down. They can move around the hotel/resort like what Collingwood had to do twice this year and other teams when travelling to WA this year.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
This is amateur hour, run ups weren’t covered and now water has pooled on the edge of the pitch. Ground staff You had one job.

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I didn’t say it had to be in Melbourne.

I know let’s play it in the one city in the country where COVID is rife and potentially risk the health of thousands because we are more of a chance of winning a sporting contest 🤦‍♂️
Just read a report that Ravi Shastri (Indian coach) was walking around the SCG without a mask and telling people that the indian side does not want to go to Brisbane because they would have to go into hotel quarantine because Cricket Australia decided to play this test in Sydney.
Fits with watching the cricket and when they cut to crowd pics there are non drinking non eating people in the crowd not wearing masks. NSW Health Minister had publicly said people who didn't wear masks would be fined!

mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham

Every country tries to maximise advantage in a home series using pitch type, test venue choice, order of tests in series and tour game venue choice:
- India produce turners when the opposition have poor spinners and flat pitches when the opposition have good spinners (e.g. when England came with Swann and Panesar)
- England produce seamers to suit Anderson and Broad and produced dry and dusty in 2013 Ashes to suit Swann. Oz have a good record at Lords and Oval as flattest pitches. England give Oz tour games at non test grounds.
- Australia generally produce flat roads to allow their batsmen to trust the pitch and bat and bowl aggressively (especially against England because seamers play to England’s strengths e.g. 2010/11 Ashes), order the tests to have Brisbane and Perth early in the series and give tour games at non test grounds

Today’s batting performance shows how important roads are as most Oz batsmen play hard at the ball, walk across and flick off the stumps and charge spinners as little turn. They also grew up playing a power game so bowlers use pace and bounce to get wickets on roads.

The first 2 tests show how much better cricket is on a sporting pitch. Lived in Oz and England over my life and watched and played a lot of cricket. England conditions produce a more entertaining balance between bat and ball with Oz a slow grind like India.

South African wickets are a often good too.

- Australia generally produce flat roads to allow their batsmen to trust the pitch and bat and bowl aggressively (especially against England because seamers play to England’s strengths e.g. 2010/11 Ashes), order the tests to have Brisbane and Perth early in the series and give tour games at non test grounds

Australian pitches have always maintained there own characteristics.

Even Perth's stadium mirrors the WACA

The only pitch that has change is Adelaide which was a real featherbed back in the day.

The roads aren't an instruction from CA - more a fiscal imperative for the host state to ensure the game goes 5 days to maximise the hospitality receipts

Back