spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
Do you think we will be able to go to the cricket this summer, in November after the Coronavirus?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only team that seems likely, as things stand, to be in a position to saend a team that would be accepted by Australian authorities is New Zealand.
But, its too early to say for sure. I certainly expect the T20WC to be cancelled, whether any bilateral games occur is doubtful but possible. Whether the domestic season goes ahead is still in doubt. We just don't know what wintyer will do, whether treatments or vaccines wil be available, etc.

At least its not a contact sport, so on-field distancing is mostly possible.

It's difficult to see international restrictions lifted enough to allow an Indian team into the country. We might have got going a bit by then but I don't think we'll see a Test series this summer.

if the T20 World Cup is cancelled/postponed, the BCCI wants to schedule the IPL in that gap. It might not get rescheduled considering there's another T20 World Cup scheduled for Oct/Nov 2021 in India, which would put CA in a deeper financial hole.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
It's difficult to see international restrictions lifted enough to allow an Indian team into the country. We might have got going a bit by then but I don't think we'll see a Test series this summer.
Considering India would be in Australia for 4 months for a series anyway, couldn't we have them in quarantine for 2 weeks when they arrive in say Sept/October, and then play the season? To get crowds into a game, I wouldn't be against people attending would be temperature tested so everyone knows that people who do attend would feel safe.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
what about the afghanistan test match ?

zimbabwe, bangladesh and ireland series last year and bangladesh series this year.

it seems all scheduled series against the minnows get cancelled for one reason or another - although this is a bit more legit.

i'd rather play an international series (eg. kiwi's) than almost another summer full of domestic short form cricket.

CA has dwindling cash reserves and will be in deep trouble as broadcasters are withholding rights fees payments if the India tour doesn't go ahead.

Langer also demoted to part time coach.

EDIT: article added

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
CA has dwindling cash reserves and will be in deep trouble as broadcasters are withholding rights fees payments if the India tour doesn't go ahead.

part time coach ? never went to india for the brief tour.

it's not as if we are playing cricket for the next 6 months at a minimum, what was he going to be doing anyways?

time will tell whether india tour , what about afghanistan ?

might be hard to get the 20/20 world cup going. there's 15 countries that would need to fly in as
there are 8 teams effectively playing qualifiers for the remaining 2 spots to make it 10 teams.

and if the 20/20 world cup doesn't go ahead, australia aint hosting it for a very long time. it will effectively be cancelled because there's another one not too long after that.

cricket along with other sports in a bit of a hole at the moment. i mean the world test championship is in disarray now, even though it already had its flaws.

time will tell whether india tour , what about afghanistan ?

might be hard to get the 20/20 world cup going. there's 15 countries that would need to fly in as
there are 8 teams effectively playing qualifiers for the remaining 2 spots to make it 10 teams.

and if the 20/20 world cup doesn't go ahead, australia aint hosting it for a very long time. it will effectively be cancelled because there's another one not too long after that.

cricket along with other sports in a bit of a hole at the moment. i mean the world test championship is in disarray now, even though it already had its flaws.

and potentially playing in front of no crowds on top of that?

expecting the Afghanistan tour to be postponed

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
we have oh ten months of nothing before we need to worry about what has to be done and what should be administered..

let everyone get a good time of perspective and training and leaving everything alone..

it doesn't seem that long in terms of everything.. well we are in four months of lockdown and we are all doing Okay..

keep on talking and joking and loving and sputtering with the realitylll.... ???!!!!

yah gormless dudes.. we will be over it soon...

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

CA gets a lot of crap and a lot of it is boring and dumb and a bit try hardy, but this is absolutely terrible from CA. A few years ago, they built up cash reverses + revamped the BBL to help protect the game from emergencies, such as a tour being cancelled (ie, an India 2008 situation) which was a good idea (which they got crap for, in regards to the BBL). For the cash reserves to be almost all gone (when they were once close to 200M) when the emergency has actually come. s**t's gonna hit the fan.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I couldn't believe it when I heard it tbh. They are lucky that they are not even missing out on revenue atm, at least not to the extent of the AFL/NRL. Makes sense though that the broadcasters who would be in a bit of bother will withhold the Indian series money until it happens. I think since the Ponting generation retired the revenue sharing model saw a lot of centrally contracted players earn a shitload more than they were worth. The current players will end up paying for that.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs

Does that mean when cricket starts up again they can bring in a new full-time coach?

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
CA gets a lot of crap and a lot of it is boring and dumb and a bit try hardy, but this is absolutely terrible from CA. A few years ago, they built up cash reverses + revamped the BBL to help protect the game from emergencies, such as a tour being cancelled (ie, an India 2008 situation) which was a good idea (which they got crap for, in regards to the BBL). For the cash reserves to be almost all gone (when they were once close to 200M) when the emergency has actually come. s**t's gonna hit the fan.

No it isn't dumb and try hardy. Lots of self interested people on inflated salaries who consistently make commercial decisons at the expense of a well run game.

Gilchrist also said Cricket Australia's apparent lack of a rainy-day fund was "a real shame and very concerning".

"Right in the sort of peak of my period of time in the Australian team, or in the middle sort of range of my time there, I remember hearing that Cricket Australia had tens and tens of millions, upwards [of] $80 or $90 million in real estate. And I remember thinking, what's it doing in real estate? Get it into the game, get it into the players, get it into staff, get it into the stakeholders. And I kept getting told by administrators that it's sort of a rainy-day fund, and that was the first time I'd ever really learnt of that term," he said.

---------------
investing in real estate?

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Well whatever they had in real estate is long gone, the recent annual reports state there's just over a million in real estate investments. I found the 2003/04 report which has 2 million bucks in cash and 34 million in investments, which I suppose covers both stocks and property, plus 7 million in property, plant & equipment. the more recent reports divide the two. 18/19 had 90 million in investments and 1.5 in investment property, plus 39 million in property, plant & equipment.

Back