Summer of cricket Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for being the one who does ‘Remember the good ol days’ but how good was it when teams would visit once every 4 years, (some might play an extra tri-series), but man I loved a schedule release back then. A shame that windies lost their way and Zimbabwe who had some decent players never kicked on. It’s all a bit meh

Apologies for being the one who does ‘Remember the good ol days’ but how good was it when teams would visit once every 4 years, (some might play an extra tri-series), but man I loved a schedule release back then. A shame that windies lost their way and Zimbabwe who had some decent players never kicked on. It’s all a bit meh
I don't know. Every time there's a team playing here that isn't England or India, the Australian public and media just seem to say they're s**t and shouldn't tour here until they're good enough.

Look at how we responded to NZ who beat both England and India at home either side of getting beaten in Australia. The general casual cricket public were talking about how boring it was and how we need to get India back to play again.

I don't understand why CA are persisting on Afghanatan touring, who will likely need to quarrantine for 2 weeks upon arrival to play for 1 test? Hardly seems worth it. Surely it's smarter to get India to quarrantine for 2 weeks, then stay in the country for a few months for 5 tests, ODI's and T20's. I think this is all in the BCCI's best interest too as I can't see any cricket being played in India this year.

I don't understand why CA are persisting on Afghanatan touring, who will likely need to quarrantine for 2 weeks upon arrival to play for 1 test? Hardly seems worth it. Surely it's smarter to get India to quarrantine for 2 weeks, then stay in the country for a few months for 5 tests, ODI's and T20's. I think this is all in the BCCI's best interest too as I can't see any cricket being played in India this year.

India said no to an extra test

India said no to an extra test
Did they give a reason why though? As I said I think it's in their best interest to play 5 tests, I don't think we'll see any cricket in India this year with how COVID is going over there, surely it's better to play more away than not at all?

Did they give a reason why though? As I said I think it's in their best interest to play 5 tests, I don't think we'll see any cricket in India this year with how COVID is going over there, surely it's better to play more away than not at all?

Not sure. I’ll ring Sourav and get back to you

Bit boring having India and NZ back again so soon, but that seems to be the way things are done now.

2000/01: West Indies (Tests and ODIs) & Zimbabwe (ODIs)
2001/02: New Zealand (Tests and ODIs) & South Africa (Tests & ODIs)
2002: Pakistan (ODIs)
2002/03: England (Tests and ODIs) & Sri Lanka (ODIs)
2003: Bangladesh (Tests and ODIs)
2003/04: India (Tests and ODIs) & Zimbabwe (Tests and ODIs)
2004: Sri Lanka (Tests)
2004/05: New Zealand (Tests), Pakistan (Tests and ODIs) & West Indies (ODIs)
2005/06: ICC (Tests & ODI), South Africa (Tests & ODIs), Sri Lanka (ODIs) & West Indies (Tests)
2006/07: England (Tests and ODIs) & New Zealand (ODIs)
2007/08: India (Tests and ODIs) & Sri Lanka (Tests and ODIs)
2008: Bangladesh (ODIs)
2008/09: New Zealand (Tests and ODIs) & South Africa (Tests and ODIs)
2009/10: Pakistan (Tests, ODIs and T20Is) & West Indies (Tests, ODIs and T20Is)
2010/11: England (Tests, ODIs and T20Is) & Sri Lanka (ODIs and T20Is)
2011/12: India (Tests, ODIs and T20Is), New Zealand (Tests) & Sri Lanka (ODIs)
2012/13: South Africa (Tests), Sri Lanka (Tests, ODIs and T20Is) & West Indies (ODIs and T20Is)
2013/14: England (Tests, ODIs and T20Is)
2014/15: England (ODIs), India (Tests and ODIs) & South Africa (ODIs and T20Is)
2015/16: India (ODIs and T20Is), New Zealand (Tests) & West Indies (Tests)
2016/17: New Zealand (ODIs), Pakistan (Tests and ODIs), South Africa (Tests) & Sri Lanka (T20Is)
2017/18: England (Tests, ODIs and T20Is) & New Zealand (T20Is)
2018/19: India (Tests, ODIs and T20Is), South Africa (ODIs and T20Is) & Sri Lanka (Tests)
2019/20: New Zealand (Tests and ODIs), Pakistan (Tests and T20Is) & Sri Lanka (T20Is)
2020/21: Zimbabwe (?) (ODIs), Afghanistan (Tests), India (Tests, ODIs and T20Is), New Zealand (ODIs and T20Is)

Four of the seven summers with India, five out of six with New Zealand. It's getting very messy now as well.

TESTS:

79/80 WI (3) Eng (3)
80/81 NZ (3) Ind (3)
81/82 Pak (3) WI (3)
82/83 Eng (5)
83/84 Pak (5)
84/85 WI (5)
85/86 NZ (3) Ind (3)
86/87 Eng (5)
87/88 NZ (3) Eng (1) SL (1)
88/89 WI (5)
89/90 NZ (1) SL (2) Pak (3)
90/91 Eng (5)
91/92 Ind (5) & World Cup
92/93 WI (5)
93/94 NZ (3) SA (3)
94/95 Eng (5)
95/96 Pak (3) SL (3)
96/97 WI (5)
97/98 NZ (3) SA (3)
98/99 Eng (5)
99/00 Pak (3) Ind (3)
00/01 WI (5)
01/02 NZ (3) SA (3)
02/03 Eng (5)
***03 WINTER : Bang (2)***
03/04 Zim (2) Ind (4)
***04 WINTER SL (2)***
04/05 NZ (2) Pak (3)
05/06 ICC XI (1) WI (3) SA (3)
06/07 Eng (5)
07/08 SL (2) Ind (4)
08/09 NZ (2) SA (3)
09/10 WI (3) Pak (3)
10/11 Eng (5)
11/12 NZ (2) Ind (4)
12/13 SA (3) SL (3)
13/14 Eng (5)
14/15 Ind (4) & World Cup
15/16 NZ (3) WI (3)
16/17 SA (3) Pak (3)
17/18 Eng (5)
18/19 Ind (4) SL (2)
19/20 Pak (2) NZ (3)

- not fussed too much about the white ball stuff.
- if only they had a full tour tests/odi's/T20I's, it would make more sense
- loved back in the day the old tri-series
it seems Australia want Eng, Ind & SA out here as the drawcards in seperate summers (since the demise of WI), so that 3 out of every 4 summers involves a big gun.

pretty lopsided:
54 eng (12 tours)
40 wi (10)
34 ind (9)
31 nz (12)
28 pak (9)
21 sa (7)
15 sl (7)

2 zim (1)
2 bang (1)
1 icc xi
0 afg
0 ire

Last edited:
I don't understand why CA are persisting on Afghanatan touring, who will likely need to quarrantine for 2 weeks upon arrival to play for 1 test? Hardly seems worth it.
It'll be a huge moment for Afghani cricket. It's worth it for that alone.

I don't know. Every time there's a team playing here that isn't England or India, the Australian public and media just seem to say they're s**t and shouldn't tour here until they're good enough.

Look at how we responded to NZ who beat both England and India at home either side of getting beaten in Australia. The general casual cricket public were talking about how boring it was and how we need to get India back to play again.

I think this is learned behaviour to some extent. CA have pushed the big three bandwagon in the public space, so the public hears that and thinks that they must be the only teams worth our time.

Plus people tend not to pay attention to our tours overseas, Ashes aside, so aren't aware that we lose away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

should've got the afghani's for 2 tests then :)

nothing wrong with a 6 test summer.

There does seem to be a lot of that.
For every one of us that want to see the variety, and have the schedule made a lot more even generally, there seem to be many others who just write off a summer before irs started if it isn't England, India or (when at their best) South Africa.

should've got the afghani's for 2 tests then :)

nothing wrong with a 6 test summer.
CA have decided "never again" on anything more than five Tests.
Personally, I'd love to see seven each summer with a 5-2 or 4-3 split depending on the teams. Sixth and seventh rotated between Hobart, Gold Coast, Canberra, maybe Geelong if the necessary facility upgrades were made; and if they ever get a capable oval, Newcastle.

CA have decided "never again" on anything more than five Tests.
Personally, I'd love to see seven each summer with a 5-2 or 4-3 split depending on the teams. Sixth and seventh rotated between Hobart, Gold Coast, Canberra, maybe Geelong if the necessary facility upgrades were made; and if they ever get a capable oval, Newcastle.

never say 'never' mate.

i've always been an advocate of a 7 test summer with a 4/3 split (and yes that'd mean no more 5 test series) - let the cricket boards decide who plays the 3 and who plays the 4 test series. it could still be fixtured so that eng, ind, sa visit in different summers.

You could even throw in Marvel on that rotating list for a test - at least it would never be rain affected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back