Summer of cricket Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose you could compare the forms of cricket to federal politics

Tests are like the LNP, supported by the majority, still the no1 form and hated by the younger generation for being old

ODIs are like the ALP, have some support, liked by people who like to work less and get a quick fix but despite some good years, will never be no1.

T20s are the Greens, for the people who can’t commit to one cause for more than 10 seconds, think they’re cool, popular and relevant but everyone else thinks they’re nothing but a novelty act.

Liberal Party would burn Australia to the ground if it meant they controlled the ashes (lower case).

latest is that the India ODIs will take place before the Tests. That probably kills off the Afghanistan Test (in addition to the WA Govt quarantine demands as noted above).

just another excuse of australia not playing these minor test nations.

covid stopping afghanistan coming to perth - play it in adelaide etc then.
covid stopped zimbabwe touring over winter
covid stopped our tour to bangladesh
covid stopped our odi to scotland but could manage to play england
yet we can go play IPL etc.

the list goes on with not playing these nations:

-we chose to can the ireland test prior to the ashes for aussies to play aussies
-cancelled a handful of zimbabwe test tours in the last 20 years claiming security reasons - no worse in india or south africa
-cancelled bang tour of 2015 and aussie tour of bang in 08 - the excuse - it was the same time of the olympics - the olympics must have just crept up on the calendar i guess.

india, england, south africa series go ahead rain hail or shine.

just another excuse of australia not playing these minor test nations.

covid stopping afghanistan coming to perth - play it in adelaide etc then.
covid stopped zimbabwe touring over winter
covid stopped our tour to bangladesh
covid stopped our odi to scotland but could manage to play england
yet we can go play IPL etc.

the list goes on with not playing these nations:

-we chose to can the ireland test prior to the ashes for aussies to play aussies
-cancelled a handful of zimbabwe test tours in the last 20 years claiming security reasons - no worse in india or south africa
-cancelled bang tour of 2015 and aussie tour of bang in 08 - the excuse - it was the same time of the olympics - the olympics must have just crept up on the calendar i guess.

india, england, south africa series go ahead rain hail or shine.
I like seeing us play these nations and it would be cool to see them come over here for a test or two but I think this year it is too logistically hard. Zimbabwe coming over for 3 ODI’s in the winter probably wouldn’t have been worth it and at that time Darwin was being used for AFL at that time anyway. I hope Afghanistan can still come over but once again I don’t think there will be enough time between the end of the IPL and the start of the India white ball series, considering India will ask for one or two tour matches and teams will have to quarantine for two weeks. Maybe there could be a chance at the end of the summer but it’ll probably just be canned unfortunately.

I like seeing us play these nations and it would be cool to see them come over here for a test or two but I think this year it is too logistically hard. Zimbabwe coming over for 3 ODI’s in the winter probably wouldn’t have been worth it and at that time Darwin was being used for AFL at that time anyway. I hope Afghanistan can still come over but once again I don’t think there will be enough time between the end of the IPL and the start of the India white ball series, considering India will ask for one or two tour matches and teams will have to quarantine for two weeks. Maybe there could be a chance at the end of the summer but it’ll probably just be canned unfortunately.

you're right , coming for just 3 odi's in meaningless , but the ICC fixture it this way, afterall the aussies just come off a white ball tour to england. i personally prefer each nation had 2 fully fledged winter tours and host 2 teams in their summer with a test component and 3 odi's and 3 T20's.

logistically too hard is just an excuse and the AFL being in Darwin is another excuse. AFL was only in Darwin on one weekend this season (friday night and a saturday night) and the AFL could have fixtured around that had the Zimbabwe gone ahead as these dates were proposed first up.

So according to reports there are eleven Shield games to be played in Adelaide between October 10 and November 11. Four of these are Redbacks games. Has it been officially announced yet?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They ought to play the 2019/20 Shield Final first. NSW v Victoria. Just like in 1983 when the one day domestic final was washed out and then played early the following season.
Given they have both NSW v Vic games early season in the SA hub, that would make some sense.
The problem is, (presumably) due to Vic needing to quarantine they don't start until later.

Now, this leaves India as the only touring side to Australia this summer with the four Vodafone Tests, three Gillette ODIs, and the three Gillette T20s

any other corporate partners we need to plug?
They did today announce Cadbury have come on board as a partner of the Australian Women's Cricket team ahead of the Commonwealth Bank International Series starting tomorrow with matches on the Seven Network, Fox Cricket and on ABC Grandstand!

so they're going to slot it (the Afghanistan Test) in between the T20 WC in India and before the start of the Ashes Test series? good luck with that, it will probably get postponed again.

Afghanistan might end up coming to Australia to play against England in a tour match effectively.

what about the afghanistan test match ?

zimbabwe, bangladesh and ireland series last year and bangladesh series this year.

it seems all scheduled series against the minnows get cancelled for one reason or another - although this is a bit more legit.

said it 6 months ago.

looks like covid (is the reason) for the afghanistan test to be cancelled.

india series will go ahead no doubt.

Afghanistan might end up coming to Australia to play against England in a tour match effectively.

Maybe this is an idea for any minnows where countries only want to play one test, get them to play the other touring side in a test match as well, then Afghanistan at least get 2 tests for their troubles and its probably a better warmup for tourists than playing the CA XI

Same with Ireland, should play each team who tours England and when it's only one, they play England that year as well.

No surprise that CA want India here all the time for the money. I’m tired of seeing the same teams here year after year. Ffs India just left here, I want a true test championship not the bs we have now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back