holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
NSW and Canberra have sealed the deal to launch the international men’s summer with six white-ball matches against India, saving Virat Kohli from the threat of a Queensland boarding school.

Cricket Australia is still awaiting a final sign-off on their schedule from the all-powerful BCCI, but sources said on Thursday night that the NSW Government had given their approval for the Indians to quarantine and train in Sydney, which is a major breakthrough in ensuring the $300 million summer gets off the ground.

On Sunday night cricket officials were left blindsided by revelations that the Queensland Government were baulking at their quarantining requests – and had gone cold on allowing the Indians to train while serving their two weeks of isolation, unless they were prepared to potentially bunker down at a boarding school.

The stunning development was a deal breaker with potentially monumental consequences, but CA officials have scrambled quickly and fast-tracked a better deal with the NSW Government within 72 hours.

NSW Government officials did not return calls on Thursday night, but it’s understood Cricket Australia received final ministerial approval following a meeting on Thursday afternoon.

After being strung along for six weeks by Queensland, the NSW Government moved at lightning speed with police approving the measures proposed by CA.

It means Kohli’s Indians and Australia’s returning IPL stars such as Steve Smith and David Warner will be allowed to train while in quarantine in Sydney when it’s expected they will arrive from Dubai on either November 11 or 12, and will be permitted to operate in conditions similar to the NRL’s New Zealand Warriors and the Argentinian rugby union team.

Cricket Australia must receive a final green-light from Indian officials before they can release a summer schedule, which as revealed by News Corp previously, will feature a first day-night Test in Adelaide starting on December 17, a Boxing Day Test at the MCG, a later than usual Sydney Test starting on January 7, and a final Test in Brisbane from January 15.

NSW’s rescue package means the preceding limited overs series will be split between Canberra and the SCG – who would host three matches each from November 26 or 27 through to December 8.

There has been some conjecture out of India over whether or not the tourists will be allowed to bring their families into quarantine with them, however, Cricket Australia sources indicated they were not aware of any roadblocks.

Sources out of India say players would want the ability to bring family members given the time they will be spending away from home in a bubble, immediately following an exhaustive eight-week IPL.

No indications have come out of India to suggest anything other than Kohli’s team honouring their $300 commitment to save the Australian summer in the midst of COVID-19.

The relative luxury of quarantining and training in Sydney is a huge improvement on what India might have been offered by Queensland.

Queensland Health officials discussed the prospect of sending superstar Kohli and his men back to boarding school as a desperate measure to save the cricket summer.

Queensland hit an insurmountable roadblock to hosting the Indian team due to a government demand that the team must train at the same hotel at which it stays.

One option discussed by the Queensland government and cricket officials was to send the Indians to a GPS boarding school — Nudgee College was one option — where they could stay and train in quarantine before playing the six white-ball games that now seem destined for NSW.

Kohli was at times described as behaving like a naughty schoolboy on his early tours yet no-one expected him to land in a boarding house on an Australian tour.

The option never got off the ground for a multitude of reasons including the fact that children would still be in school when the Indians arrive and boarding house facilities would be unpalatable to the Indians used to five star luxury on the road.

But it does show how desperate things became in the protracted negotiations between the Queensland Government and Cricket Australia, which seems to have hit a terminal stalemate.

ROBERT CRADDOCK
SENIOR SPORTS JOURNALIST

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Be very interesting to see how many spectators are allowed into the MCG on Boxing Day.

IMHO, speculation on spectators is pretty premature -- we are still barely allowed out of the house, and it's mid-October. Pandemics typically go in 3 waves, and we've only just got through the second.

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
IMHO, speculation on spectators is pretty premature -- we are still barely allowed out of the house, and it's mid-October. Pandemics typically go in 3 waves, and we've only just got through the second.

Nothing is surer than a third wave in Victoria after we’ve had a couple of weeks of freedom.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Just saw the schedule my word, I know Mark McGowan is partly to blame but I thought WA could have had potentially a couple of fixtures in there somewhere.

Canberra, Sydney seem to be the big winners out of the fixturing.

WA seems to be the big loser with no ODI, T20 or Test match this summer. Originally they had the Afghanistan test on their plate but that too has been cancelled.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just saw the schedule my word, I know Mark McGowan is partly to blame but I thought WA could have had potentially a couple of fixtures in there somewhere.

Canberra, Sydney seem to be the big winners out of the fixturing.

WA seems to be the big loser with no ODI, T20 or Test match this summer. Originally they had the Afghanistan test on their plate but that too has been cancelled.

WA can't have their cake and eat it i suppose. There happy to have a hard border but the price is its harder to have professional sport go over and play there. Just look at AFL and a-league.

I am not complaining might go to one of the one dayers at the SCG.

Also interesting they pushed the sydney test back to the 7th january normally starts the 3rd January. Which means its a thursday to monday test match. And jane mcgrath day which i go to every year is on Saturday.

Which is better as if it started on the 3rd it would have started on a sunday and finished thursday. Which wasn't ideal. 4 days of the test being on a week day.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
You're telling me a city with 5 million people and a game when everyone is on holidays every year gets a bigger crowd than Brisbane?! Hot scoop

No, I’m saying even with a cap on crowds it will still be bigger than Brisbane!

I do look forward to the excuses this summer now you have a test during the holidays...

Too hot? Too wet? Too humid?

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
WA can't have their cake and eat it i suppose. There happy to have a hard border but the price is its harder to have professional sport go over and play there. Just look at AFL and a-league.

I am not complaining might go to one of the one dayers at the SCG.

Also interesting they pushed the sydney test back to the 7th january normally starts the 3rd January. Which means its a thursday to monday test match. And jane mcgrath day which i go to every year is on Saturday.

Which is better as if it started on the 3rd it would have started on a sunday and finished thursday. Which wasn't ideal. 4 days of the test being on a week day.
I wont be complaining but Id take it if you were from WA, you would be teed off.

I'll make an effort to attend all games in Canberra in Sydney.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I wont be complaining but Id take it if you were from WA, you would be teed off.

I'll make an effort to attend all games in Canberra in Sydney.

I fully understand why WA has been left in the cold over the next summer. Remember we are hosting India, who have made a lot of demands, which will be satisfied by the ACB.

BUT, will this be a negative for getting youngsters involved in the game in WA. It’s a point that has been raised by people involved with junior sport.

Back