Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Problem is Marsh is woeful as a #6. He should have played in Siddle's role if we wanted to replace Starc, kept Head & swapped out our openers... & we could have won the series.

We need a new coach.
To be fair, Marsh bowled pretty well for a 5 for in the first innings. If he does that per match then he can be excused from not getting many runs.

The problem in the past was that his batting average was low AND his bowling was mediocre. If he can add more pace and swing to his repertoire then I think he’s going to be of good value as a bowler/batter.

earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
Who’s that Victorian kid that’s had a few mental health issues?
Does he open?
Is he close to selection?
He’ll be our next superstar. Pucovski.
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Pucovski is fast tracked into our test team this summer, he’s a freak.
Also Sangha from NSW.
Both are will be absolute jets.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
23180F67-8BDB-4E51-958C-3C5F39AE0B5E.png

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We misread the pitch badly

Not just reflected in the coin toss but in selection - hence we went Siddle over Starc.

We must have thought it would nibble around and offer some seam movement.

Bowl first, pick an extra line and length trundler.

Whoops.

Cost us the series.

Agreed, s**t selection. But it should have been Pattinson.

What sucks is its likely the last time we'll see Head in the test team.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Ashes all star 11

Burns
Denley
Lampshade
Smith
Stokes
Wade
Bairstow
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon
Broad
Wade forced his way in, ahead of Root, with his century in the last innings of the series. Other than that, you've named exactly the same side I came up with before the start of the 5th Test.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wade forced his way in, ahead of Root, with his century in the last innings of the series. Other than that, you've named exactly the same side I came up with before the start of the 5th Test.
Agree Root unlucky, made a couple of 70’s. Tried to keep it to the position so Lampshade edges him out of the 3 spot.

Archer also could easily find a spot - just thought Hazelwood a bit more consistent. Wouldn’t die on a hill over it.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I often enjoy Geoff Lemon's articles, but he got it way wrong here:
"All of this on one of those golden afternoons, the same as each afternoon during this final Test. A London that comes to life, reaching its flanks of ancient buildings to a blue sky. Four days of glory, sitting outside in the perfect temperatures that make you think that in this aspect, England is the best place to watch cricket in the world. "
(https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-16/the-ashes-ends-all-square-are-you-not-entertained/11515182)
Nah, mate --- Adelaide is the place.
For footy, as well. :)

They have been in Pommieland for a long time. Don't forget they played the World Cup before The Ashes.
Yes I knew they’d played the 50 over games... but they normally do 20/20 too. I’ll have nothing to watch when I’m wide awake at 3 in the morning! 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Don’t they? There’s normally never ending cricket when they are out here... but maybe they 20/20 with other teams rather than the POMS?
It’s a tri series out here.
In England I’m not sure. A 20/20 would seem so trivial after the ashes.
The women certainly do all formats.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Do they normally do 20/20’s with the ashes?
Here's the Wiki page for the 2015 Ashes Tour. The tour included 1x T20I, 5x ODI, and 5x Ashes Tests, plus a few tour matches.

I suspect that having a 6-week ODI World Cup immediately before The Ashes may have changed the equation this time around. There's definitely no bi-lateral ODI competition, and there doesn't appear to be a T20 competition either. I can't say that I blame them - the players have been in Old Blighty for 3-4 months.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
There's always a dead spot in the sporting calendar from the AFL grand final until the 1st test.

I'm amazed some (good) sport hasn't tried to fill the void, at least with some Friday night and Saturday night stuff. Heck even some domestic one dayers would be interesting if the Aussie players were around.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here's the Wiki page for the 2015 Ashes Tour. The tour included 1x T20I, 5x ODI, and 5x Ashes Tests, plus a few tour matches.

I suspect that having a 6-week ODI World Cup immediately before The Ashes may have changed the equation this time around. There's definitely no bi-lateral ODI competition, and there doesn't appear to be a T20 competition either. I can't say that I blame them - the players have been in Old Blighty for 3-4 months.
Also Oz fans probably have had enough of seeing the Poms, and the booing.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
There's always a dead spot in the sporting calendar from the AFL grand final until the 1st test.

I'm amazed some (good) sport hasn't tried to fill the void, at least with some Friday night and Saturday night stuff. Heck even some domestic one dayers would be interesting if the Aussie players were around.

There's a new field hockey competition taking place in October - Hockey One.

Each state has a mens and women's team, with 3 home double-headers for each team.

Among other rule innovations will be an ice hockey style penalty shot to be taken after each goal (something the FIH have been trialing for penalty shootouts for a few years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back