Summer of Cricket

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I smell bullshit in this:
"“If Matthew wants to be considered as a straight-out batsman it would be nice to see him batting a little higher up for Tasmania and that conversation has been had,” Hohns said. "
(https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-message-as-marshes-axed-20190109-p50qeo.html).
In-form Wade could bat at #6 and bat well with any of the remaining Top 5 batsmen, or Tim Paine at 7, and/or the tailenders if necessary. Vader said above:
I think Wade is being omitted because of his connection to the old cricket culture. They just don't think he's capable of being part of the new culture, where they actually play the game according to the rules.
I don't recall Wade being a personally abusive line-crosser or rule-stretcher, but Vader might be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Adelaide
o_O ... say what now?
Emojis are your friend and would help to explain your intention behind such a weird question.
My birth-surname has 12 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in Oz to post-WW2 European parents.
I'm Australian and am ferociously pro-Australian and patriotic to the core.
Pucovski was born in Oz, too, so your question edited should be:
"Is Will Pucovski the first Australian to play for Australia?", to which the answer is clearly NO.
I was born in the 20th century and I don't live with mother, hence I don't use 'emojis'

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
They were pretty much swinging the bat around looking for quick runs as they probably should have followed on.
8-100 meant bugger all.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
Exactly, they didn’t have a care factor and it was their only poor innings of the series.

Kristof

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Why are you sick of the media praising India? That’s something Rowey would say.
Because we were incredibly bad, and still the toss of the coin a couple of times could have changed results.

Keep up, you've got to get better at reading. I'd start with Gideon Haigh.

Kristof

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
They were pretty much swinging the bat around looking for quick runs as they probably should have followed on.
8-100 meant bugger all.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
Bull.

Shit.

Pant was the only batsmen who swung the bat that innings. The rest struggled with the ball doing more and having inconsistent bounce.

They were 5-86 in Adelaide and 8-100 in Melbourne. Both if those tests were very winnable, except we ****** it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deaneus

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Caps
Moderator #2,537
Is Will Pucovski the first Pole to play for Australia?
o_O ... say what now?
Emojis are your friend and would help to explain your intention behind such a weird question.
My birth-surname has 12 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in Oz to post-WW2 European parents.
I'm Australian and am ferociously pro-Australian and patriotic to the core.
Pucovski was born in Oz, too, so your question edited should be:
"Is Will Pucovski the first Australian to play for Australia?", to which the answer is clearly NO.
My birth-surname has 10 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in NZ to post-WW2 first generation parents.

Michael Kasprowicz, Adam Zampa... he's the first ski i can think of though.

Last edited:

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I was born in the 20th century and I don't live with mother, hence I don't use 'emojis'
Having been born in the 20thC, you might be old enough to know that is an ethnic slur and a derogatory term in modern English usage, somewhat like referring to a Chinese person as a ****, or similar. Not just that, Will Pucovski was born in Australia and is an Australian citizen. His Polish heritage is irrelevant.
As am I, and Deaneus:
My birth-surname has 10 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in NZ to post-WW2 first generation parents. Michael Kasprowicz, Adam Zampa... he's the first ski i can think of though.
As for not living with your mother, I'd guess she's a happy woman. Lucky, certainly. ;):p
deaneus, are you going to let the ***** jibe stand?

Last edited by a moderator:

deaneus

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Caps
Moderator #2,540
I've just looked it up and it is a slur, so i'll go through and change them, but ***** has never bothered me.

I used to work with an Italian bloke who would give me crap, and tell me how we got our asses kicked in WW2. I would tell him, sure we did, but at least we didn't change sides when we were losing. So i much prefer to give it back.

Last edited:

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Is Pucovski name of Polish origi? I suspect it's more Baltic or Russian. There is no "v" in the polish alphabet. They use a "w" and pronounce it "v".
Exactly. :thumbsu:
Most likely it was Pucowski, but they got tired of people saying "Pu-cow-ski".
Puh-cov-ski is how it's pronounced.
Monica Lewinsky (Levinski) and Lisa Kudrow (kuh-drov) are similarly mispronounced.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Because we were incredibly bad, and still the toss of the coin a couple of times could have changed results.

Keep up, you've got to get better at reading. I'd start with Gideon Haigh.
India completely outplayed us for most of the series.

It was the first time in decades where no batsman scored a century for the whole series. I think the Indians had 9/10 top scores, including the top 7.

India winning was a fair reflection of their dominance which was not mainly due to winning the toss.

Vader

Sith Lord
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It was the first time in decades where no batsman scored a century for the whole series. I think the Indians had 9/10 top scores, including the top 7.
It wasn't the "first time in decades", it was the first time ever that no Australian batsman scored a century in a 4+ test series in Australia.

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
I don't recall Wade being a personally abusive line-crosser or rule-stretcher, but Vader might be right.
I posted from the Shield final that he got narky with somebody in the crowd. Then there was the ' ball tampering ' in the same game

A player ''accidentally'' stepped on the ball

Vader

Sith Lord
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
The appointment of Justin Langer as Senior Coach of the Australian Cricket Team seems to have significantly disturbed one of the time honoured traditions...

Players used to be given their Baggy Green, hidden away in a brown paper bag, the day they received their Baggy Blue (NSW cap). Today, playing for NSW is no longer the ticket to automatic selection that it used to be. Now, if you want to play for Australia, one must first represent the Sandgropers!

In other news... Mitch Marsh has gone to hospital, and won't be available for the first ODI. Australia's chances of winning just rose from 0.3% to 5%. Marsh's replacement, naturally, is another West Australian (Ashton Turner).

** Turner does actually have the form to suggest that this isn't just another of Langer's nepotism selections.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Having been born in the 20thC, you might be old enough to know that is an ethnic slur and a derogatory term in modern English usage, somewhat like referring to a Chinese person as a ****, or similar. Not just that, Will Pucovski was born in Australia and is an Australian citizen. His Polish heritage is irrelevant.
As am I, and Deaneus:

As for not living with your mother, I'd guess she's a happy woman. Lucky, certainly. ;):p
I didn't know it was a slur and didn't have that intent. Calm down mate. I meant it in the vein of 'Polish heritage'

Watch this great clip of my hero, Norm, standing up for the Polish people

AFL Club
Adelaide
It wasn't the "first time in decades", it was the first time ever that no Australian batsman scored a century in a 4+ test series in Australia.
Pretty damning stat isn't it - could have sworn it happened in the mid 80s but I guess AB and Boonie were there to cover up the cracks

Top Bottom