Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Finch they won't drop as captain, but out form against the new ball, need to drop him down the order to 4/5. Any of Khawaja, Stoinis or Maxwell can open, then shuffle the batting order.
2) We need wicket takers to win, so Zampa needs to come in, probably for Lyon.
3) Finch's form at the top of the order will be a concern against the swinging ball in England, but who else can captain?
4) Batting wise Smith returns (pending injury), but does Warner? Both Short & Head offer useful part-time bowling options & we need more explosive batsmen.
5) Assume our 3 test bowlers will be in the squad, but are they the best option?
1) Khawaja has only played 20 ODIs since 2013, 4/year on average! However, he's opened 10 times and averages 40 in that poz, but only 32 @ #3. Maxwell has opened once, for 51n.o. His best results are at #5 (32 digs, nearly 34 avge @S.R. 122) but the 9 times he's batted at #7 he averages 49 @ 125 S.R. Maybe Langer is right ...? :huh:
2) and 5) Starc s-h-o-u-l-d be deadly in English conditions with a Max. of 10 overs to bowl provided he gets his line right with the swinging ball. Starc's fast, swinging yorkers will often remove 1 or 2 top-order batsmen and 2 or 3 of the tail. Cummins and Hazelwood are second- and third-best options for pace and accuracy. I like Zampa for Lyon, too, but Maxwell is useful for 4-6 overs as batting all-rounder. How's Pattinson coming along?
3) Who's the keeper for the World Cup, Carey? So, not Carey as Captain. Options: Finch (totally out of form with the bat, he's gotta close that gate), Khawaja (captains Qld), maybe Shaun Marsh :rolleyes:, even Head? Tbh, I'm still not a fan of Khawaja as a ODI option, especially in England where he's often overlooked altogether) preferring Short or Head (as you say, both can bowl a bit and are explosive batsmen when IN).
4) Is Warner still on the nose, suspension served? He's a ODI match-winner, but will Langer welcome him without several tight behavioural conditions? Hard to ignore his record as ODI opener (43 @ 96 S.R. http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerPositions_ODI.asp?PlayerID=3637).
Smith's an automatic choice for #3 (avges nearly 53 @ 85 S.R. in that poz in 53/94 games), hope his elbow's going to be OK.

Khawaja struggles against seam and swing of which he could expect a lot in England. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make the World Cup squad. Any of Maxwell/Short/Head are better options imo.

You compared me to the one guy in the media you've heard of and dislike, which is a very lazy insult, especially from someone who hadn't heard of one of the most famous cricket writers in the world.
+
Isn't there a "Hard Rock for Retirees" radio station you should be listening to?
= hypocrisy.
Speaking of lazy insults, which you dish out randomly iced with personal abuse ... :rolleyes:.
This is a discussion Forum, not "Can-you-top-this?" by name-calling. By all means, disagree with the message, but without cutting crook at the messenger.
Can you not see that nobody in here appreciates or respects your cheap shots?

1) Khawaja has only played 20 ODIs since 2013, 4/year on average! However, he's opened 10 times and averages 40 in that poz, but only 32 @ #3. Maxwell has opened once, for 51n.o. His best results are at #5 (32 digs, nearly 34 avge @S.R. 122) but the 9 times he's batted at #7 he averages 49 @ 125 S.R. Maybe Langer is right ...? :huh:
2) and 5) Starc s-h-o-u-l-d be deadly in English conditions with a Max. of 10 overs to bowl provided he gets his line right with the swinging ball. Starc's fast, swinging yorkers will often remove 1 or 2 top-order batsmen and 2 or 3 of the tail. Cummins and Hazelwood are second- and third-best options for pace and accuracy. I like Zampa for Lyon, too, but Maxwell is useful for 4-6 overs as batting all-rounder. How's Pattinson coming along?
3) Who's the keeper for the World Cup, Carey? So, not Carey as Captain. Options: Finch (totally out of form with the bat, he's gotta close that gate), Khawaja (captains Qld), maybe Shaun Marsh :rolleyes:, even Head? Tbh, I'm still not a fan of Khawaja as a ODI option, especially in England where he's often overlooked altogether) preferring Short or Head (as you say, both can bowl a bit and are explosive batsmen when IN).
4) Is Warner still on the nose, suspension served? He's a ODI match-winner, but will Langer welcome him without several tight behavioural conditions? Hard to ignore his record as ODI opener (43 @ 96 S.R. http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerPositions_ODI.asp?PlayerID=3637).
Smith's an automatic choice for #3 (avges nearly 53 @ 85 S.R. in that poz in 53/94 games), hope his elbow's going to be OK.

Khawaja struggles against seam and swing of which he could expect a lot in England. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make the World Cup squad. Any of Maxwell/Short/Head are better options imo.
The following team for the World Cup (assuming no Warner) gives us plenty of bowling options & more batting depth:

1. Carey
2. Short (Warner)
3. Smith
4. S Marsh
5. Stoinis
6. Head (c)
7. Maxwell
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazelwood

Reserves:
Handscomb, Khawaja (Short), M Marsh, J Richardson/Berredorff

@ Kristof, here's is a great example of how to disagree with someone without cursing at them, or putting them down, or using ""Hard Rock for Retirees" radio station" pejoratives:
Disagree, he's actually a very good short form bowler but has been accustomed to the long form game due to being largely ignored.
It has actually been to the benefit of his game Test game, it's a pity selectors haven't done similar with some batsmen.
Kudos, treeman ! :thumbsu:

The following team for the World Cup (assuming no Warner) gives us plenty of bowling options & more batting depth:

1. Carey
2. Short (Warner)
3. Smith
4. S Marsh
5. Stoinis
6. Head (c)
7. Maxwell
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazelwood

Reserves:
So, no Finch at all? I agree but the Selectors won't.
Head-Maxwell-Cummins @ 6-7-8 could pile on the runs, but no MMarsh :poo:, please.

1. Carey
2. Short (Warner)
3. Smith
4. S Marsh
5. Stoinis
6. Head (c)
7. Maxwell
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazelwood

Reserves:
Geez, that team really is horrible. It really does show just how badly CA has run the game into the ground in this country.

At least we know we're not going to be winning the WC this year. We won't even make the semi-finals. The big question is whether or not we can beat Bangladesh and the two qualifiers (Windies & Afghanistan)?

It's no wonder Australia has lost its last 6 consecutive ODI tournaments. It really is a horrible team, which will genuinely struggle to beat almost anyone. It's also, very probably, the best team Australia can field at present. :$

Geez, that team really is horrible. It really does show just how badly CA has run the game into the ground in this country.

At least we know we're not going to be winning the WC this year. We won't even make the semi-finals. The big question is whether or not we can beat Bangladesh and the two qualifiers (Windies & Afghanistan)?

It's no wonder Australia has lost its last 6 consecutive ODI tournaments. It really is a horrible team, which will genuinely struggle to beat almost anyone. It's also, very probably, the best team Australia can field at present. :$
The thing is can you come up with a better team?

IMO we really need separate selectors for ODI/T20 as they often confuse ODI/T20 form with Test form. eg. S Marsh is a decent ODI player but not up to Test standard. Same for Finch until recently, where selecting him for Tests has completely destroyed his confidence in ODI's, where he was one of our best.

The thing is can you come up with a better team?

IMO we really need separate selectors for ODI/T20 as they often confuse ODI/T20 form with Test form. eg. S Marsh is a decent ODI player but not up to Test standard. Same for Finch until recently, where selecting him for Tests has completely destroyed his confidence in ODI's, where he was one of our best.
Like I said.. it's horrible - but it's still the best Australia can field at present.

I certainly wasn't mocking your selection, only how poor the selectors' options are at present.

Like I said.. it's horrible - but it's still the best Australia can field at present.

I certainly wasn't mocking your selection, only how poor the selectors' options are at present.
Rashid Khan could just about single-handedly beat us.

+

= hypocrisy.
Speaking of lazy insults, which you dish out randomly iced with personal abuse ... :rolleyes:.
This is a discussion Forum, not "Can-you-top-this?" by name-calling. By all means, disagree with the message, but without cutting crook at the messenger.
Can you not see that nobody in here appreciates or respects your cheap shots?
Did you miss the fact that he was called 'Special' for being a Star Wars fan?

Personal abuse begets personal abuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you miss the fact that he was called 'Special' for being a Star Wars fan?

Personal abuse begets personal abuse.

I should clarify that by 'special' I meant 'mentally challenged' or the 'R word' which I'm sure is banned on here. That's personal abuse - not calling someone 'special'. This dork Kristof couldn't personally abuse me if his life depended on it.

Anyway, back to the cricket

Was Head just rested or is he not in contention for the World Cup?
Head was our most consistent middle order player, then the idiot selectors make him an opener for the South African ODI's, then drop him rather than reverting him back down the order.

The selectors are deadset clueless!

Apart from their newbie on debut, they were good yesterday in bloody hot conditions keeping us under 300, particularly at the end of the innings.

Kumar IMO should have been man of the match.
People are bagging Lyon, but he bowled a lot better than Kuldeep who got carted for 65. Do you think they keep us under 300 with Warner and Smith playing?

People are bagging Lyon, but he bowled a lot better than Kuldeep who got carted for 65. Do you think they keep us under 300 with Warner and Smith playing?
You do realise the conditions were atrocious for fielding with the heat...

1) Did you miss the fact that he was called 'Special' for being a Star Wars fan?
2) Personal abuse begets personal abuse.
1) Yes, I did not see that. It did not come from me, but I've been on the receiving end of his unwarranted abuse. Others have been ridiculed and outright sworn at. Are you saying that because someone called him "special" it's ok for him to attack me? There's not only one other poster involved.
2) Let deaneus be our guide --- he laughs it off, responds with humour, or ignores it altogether. Something we could all emulate.

It was an absolutely disgraceful decision by CA to go with Foxtel/7 instead of Channel 10.

They had seen with the Big Bash how stark the difference was in capturing the hearts and minds of the public when it was on Foxtel compared to FTA.

Ignored history. Middle-classing the game.

Lack of integrity. Far, far worse than sandpapergate

The problem is always the same, it's not Foxtel that's to blame, it's Channel 7.

The same thing has happened with the football, Channel 7 are only interested in the content that is going to rate highly and the rest they flog off to Foxtel.

People always blame Foxtel for taking "their sport away" whereas the reality is that the FTA networks are the ones that are electing not to telecast it.

The problem is always the same, it's not Foxtel that's to blame, it's Channel 7.

The same thing has happened with the football, Channel 7 are only interested in the content that is going to rate highly and the rest they flog off to Foxtel.

People always blame Foxtel for taking "their sport away" whereas the reality is that the FTA networks are the ones that are electing not to telecast it.
Channel 10 gave CA a better coverage deal... but then CA allowed channel 7 to add another $2m & take it away from channel 10, with dodgy tendering process involving mates.

So India’s bowlers are allowed excuses but ours aren’t?
Which set of bowlers bowled during the day in 40+ degree heat.

If you were at the ground, you would have known how tough conditions were & that Kumar was exceptional.

It's unbelievable you are persisting...

Pucovski to make a solid 50+ and carry the drinks for the test then.

"Lack of GABBA experience"
So far so good... he's 6no, having just hit his first boundary. He's already survived more balls than Burns & Lampshade.

Patterson is the only batsman to have made it to double-digits so far.

** I share your cynicism regarding his likely selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back