Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the dumber points raised about the Big Bash. Many of the new games added to the Big Bash calendar this year were played in regional venues. Obviously, their maximum attendance is much lower than those in capital cities.

If you want to make a point that is comparing apples with apples, you should compare percentage of capacity sold in previous years to what percentage of capacity was sold this year. But I'm not even sure where someone would find those statistics.

I'm also not sure how something goes pie shaped, but whatever.
Average crowds were well down at the major venues. Only 41,000 turned out to see the BBL final - a derby between the two Melbourne teams. In January 2016 the Melbourne derby attracted 80,000. Now it barely gets half that, for the season decider.

.... and it was only 72,000 extra spectators for the BBL season - for 37% more games.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...mbled-and-too-long-where-now-for-the-big-bash

I never thought I'd find a fan of the Marsh selection policy but here it is!
You keep finding ways to dump on my inoffensive posts, and there's another (above).
Nice try, but you're absolutely wrong :).
Nowhere did I say, suggest or imply that I was a fan of "the Marsh selection policy". It was just a harmless example of players being selected again after being dropped which happened also to Ponting and Clarke and many others.
You're just stirring s**t, having as go at something I didn't even say.
I remember saying to you some time ago under different circumstances that what you tolerate, you'll get more of. I'm not going to tolerate your potshots, but go for it if you need to be right. Please, just be right about what I did say, fair enough? :)
In fact, I was astonished and dismayed by the Marshes' re-selection :mad:, often posting facts which supported MMarsh being close to the worst-ever #6 in Test cricket history. I hated his being given so many chances in spite of his utterly miserable record, bolstered by one good dig (181 vs the Poms 2017/18). Take that innings out and he is absolute shite, the worst ever. I think Vader or Elite Crow were on the same track at the time.

Btw, re: Wade, Mark Waugh agrees strongly with you (https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...s/news-story/f06efd8f609a554d93ff3b2fb3a999fd) and to be frank, I don't give a rat's if Wade's selected or not (he doesn't strike me as a very happy bloke, somewhat like Warner). Probably not, with Warner and Smith to return and the selectors looking at Pucovski and Patterson for the future.
Wade is not a part of Aussie cricket's future, but he might have been handy as a batsman vs India when he was making runs --- during and after that series --- while Australia's top 6 were crap.
Meh; we'll never know.

Last edited:
Average crowds were well down at the major venues. Only 41,000 turned out to see the BBL final - a derby between the two Melbourne teams. In January 2016 the Melbourne derby attracted 80,000. Now it barely gets half that, for the season decider.

.... and it was only 72,000 extra spectators for the BBL season - for 37% more games.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...mbled-and-too-long-where-now-for-the-big-bash
Fact is the game was aimed at families & non traditional cricket watchers ......ok they turned out to see the "show" .....now they're moving on to the next show

BBL never had longevity .....it is a fashion product, with little traditional cricket skills ....basically backyard cricket

It's got it's niche ....but it won't grow from here

Fact is the game was aimed at families & non traditional cricket watchers ......ok they turned out to see the "show" .....now they're moving on to the next show

BBL never had longevity .....it is a fashion product, with little traditional cricket skills ....basically backyard cricket

Possibly... but overexposure has ensured that it's death will be faster than it otherwise would have been. CA has done a very good job of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Possibly... but overexposure has ensured that it's death will be faster than it otherwise would have been. CA has done a very good job of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
just a comparison .....so many people used to bring back Krispy Kreme Donuts by the box from Sydney, then became available in Melbourne .....then the company rolled out outlets everywhere

It went from being a treat, to being available everywhere ......the red ink on the Company's Books was too great and they closed all the stores

So your point is correct ......but IMHO the product itself isn't sustainable "longterm

just a comparison .....so many people used to bring back Krispy Kreme Donuts by the box from Sydney, then became available in Melbourne .....then the company rolled out outlets everywhere

It went from being a treat, to being available everywhere ......the red ink on the Company's Books was too great and they closed all the stores

So your point is correct ......but IMHO the product itself isn't sustainable "longterm
Theyve opened a stack of stores here

Melb was a failure .....in fact all donut stores struggling thesedays .....unhealthy perceptions, plus Donuts are a treat, not an everyday staple
The Shahins are behind the stores here, theyll do ok but you're right.... donut stores are a waste of time.

The only store in SA that's 'closed' is the Gouger St store (though that was more a rebadge than a closure with it being rebadged an OTR instead of a standalone Krispy Kreme).

Oh please.

T20 is succeeding the world over.

The biggest issue is test cricket. Indians in Australia were the only ones turning up.

The idea that a game take five days to play is ludicrous, and this form of cricket will probably just be a novelty within 20 years.

Big Bash has issues. Personally, I think it should have NZ teams and be eleven sides, so everyone plays each other once and we have a longer finals series.

It probably won't ever be what it can be until the comp has some priority with access to players, like the IPL does. There should be no international short form while it's on, and test cricket should be limited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The IPL sides will never allow their local players to play anywhere else.

Oh please.

T20 is succeeding the world over.
Because of gambling

The biggest issue is test cricket. Indians in Australia were the only ones turning up.

The idea that a game take five days to play is ludicrous, and this form of cricket will probably just be a novelty within 20 years.
I've said 10 years ago that Cricket will go the same way as Tennis & die a slow death .....you'll point out the success of the Australian Open ....but apart from that there's nothing at grass roots ....all the tennis courts that use to proliferate every park have disappeared

If Test Cricket dies, then the game is gone .....it is the only form of the game, the public talks about, remembers the results ....and holds a place in our hearts of great performances

But the younger audience is bored with anything that lasts more than 2 hours .....so a 5 day test is challenging to Cricket Administrators ....it's the lifeblood of the sport, but not favored by the younger generation

Big Bash has issues. Personally, I think it should have NZ teams and be eleven sides, so everyone plays each other once and we have a longer finals series.

It probably won't ever be what it can be until the comp has some priority with access to players, like the IPL does. There should be no international short form while it's on, and test cricket should be limited
The problem with Big Bash is the novelty factor of the game & the fact most people don't know most of the players ......if the Test Cricketers could play Big Bash, then yes, it would give the game a jolt ....but as we've seen techique wise, T20 stuffs up Test Cricketers !

Interesting question though ....pride of the Baggy Green versus the Lure of IPL Money ?

15 years ago the answer was clearcut ! .......nowdays I think it's "follow the $$$$"

I do agree if Test cricket does then the game will suffer greatly, T20 is fine for a while but it becomes largely predictable.

Winning the Ashes 5-0 is the biggest deal weve seen in the game for a long time.... biggest good news story anyway

Because of gambling

I've said 10 years ago that Cricket will go the same way as Tennis & die a slow death .....you'll point out the success of the Australian Open ....but apart from that there's nothing at grass roots ....all the tennis courts that use to proliferate every park have disappeared

If Test Cricket dies, then the game is gone .....it is the only form of the game, the public talks about, remembers the results ....and holds a place in our hearts of great performances

But the younger audience is bored with anything that lasts more than 2 hours .....so a 5 day test is challenging to Cricket Administrators ....it's the lifeblood of the sport, but not favored by the younger generation

The problem with Big Bash is the novelty factor of the game & the fact most people don't know most of the players ......if the Test Cricketers could play Big Bash, then yes, it would give the game a jolt ....but as we've seen techique wise, T20 stuffs up Test Cricketers !

Interesting question though ....pride of the Baggy Green versus the Lure of IPL Money ?

15 years ago the answer was clearcut ! .......nowdays I think it's "follow the $$$$"
Cricket isn't going to die. Whilst the Indians love to gamble the everyday Indian is fanatical about Cricket. All forms of cricket.

It's true that CA is struggling at the moment to balance T20 with other forms of the game. They have overloaded on T20 this year, which has been to the overall detriment of the game. However, cricket isn't dieing as overall numbers are still strong... but the schedule needs rebalancing, particularly with the domestic competition supporting the international season.

If CA want to make BBL a sustainable product, then they need to fix the scheduling. Ideally, it should look like this:

Sep-Oct - One-day cup
Oct - Start Sheffield Shield
Nov - ODI/T20I - not a fan of T20Is but they're inevitable
Late Nov/Early Dec-Jan - Test series
Jan-Feb - BBL
Feb-Mar - Finish Sheffield Shield

By having all of the ODIs out of the way early and then having the last test as the New Year test, then the BBL can start later and can run for 8-10 matches with an extended finals series. 1 vs 2 with the winner going straight to the final and the loser playing the winner of 3 vs 4. Test players will be available and, with the Bangladesh League being played in November (only played in Jan-Feb this year due to elections) it opens the door for better internationals. Could you imagine AB in the BBL? There is a slight disadvantage with it going until after school starts but having it clash with ODIs and tests muddles teams up too much constantly chopping and changing line-ups by finding replacements.

Random off topic cricket question but whatever happened to wicket keepers standing up to the stumps in the final overs of limited over cricket?
For a while 10 years ago you'd see it regularly to stop the quick single. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't but it was often a necessary risk to take that you never see anymore.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Random off topic cricket question but whatever happened to wicket keepers standing up to the stumps in the final overs of limited over cricket?
For a while 10 years ago you'd see it regularly to stop the quick single. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't but it was often a necessary risk to take that you never see anymore.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
Not as good as Gilly.

Risk v reward

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last-ball win over India poses more questions than it answers.
Pre-game, Kohli talked up Stoinis who was promoted to open and scored 1 off 5, run out. I'll bet Virat slept well.
Finch, golden duck, lbw AGAIN.
Handscomb-as-wicketkeeper 13 off 15, Turner (batting at #6) 0 off 5, C-Nile 4 off 8.
Edit: I asked previously if Dan Christian was a better option; clearly not, at nearly 36yo, even if his T20 numbers are so much better.

Thanks only to Maxwell and Short the Aussies chased down a modest 126.

Will Warner be rushed back in to open, when fit?
Is Finch past his use-by date?
Can Australia have Paine and another wicketkeeper in the side? Yes, just not Wade. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Last-ball win over India poses more questions than it answers.
Pre-game, Kohli talked up Stoinis who was promoted to open and scored 1 off 5, run out. I'll bet Virat slept well.
Finch, golden duck, lbw AGAIN.
Handscomb-as-wicketkeeper 13 off 15, Turner (batting at #6) 0 off 5, C-Nile 4 off 8.
Edit: I asked previously if Dan Christian was a better option; clearly not, at nearly 36yo, even if his T20 numbers are so much better.

Thanks only to Maxwell and Short the Aussies chased down a modest 126.

Will Warner be rushed back in to open, when fit?
Is Finch past his use-by date?
Can Australia have Paine and another wicketkeeper in the side? Yes, just not Wade. :rolleyes:
You forgot about Cummins who not only was our most economical bowler but stayed calm to hit the winning runs when the pressure was on.

Finch is the biggest concern as he has lost his mojo & is captain. You can blame the idiot selectors for thinking he was a test opener despite all evidence to the contrary. Now they have destroyed his confidence in the shorter form of the game.

Paine is not suited to the shorter form & has an Ashes to prepare for, so is not a option to take over for the world cup. Problem is I'm not sure there is anyone obvious.

Ps. Need to persist with Stoinis, but not necessarily as an opener.

You forgot about Cummins who not only was our most economical bowler but stayed calm to hit the winning runs when the pressure was on.
I thought Cummins was one of the best, for sure, with Maxwell and Short.
My post was a gripe about the players who failed but, yes, Stoinis is worth perseverance just not as an opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back