Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Cummins was one of the best, for sure, with Maxwell and Short.
My post was a gripe about the players who failed but, yes, Stoinis is worth perseverance just not as an opener.
The issue was we had 2 set batsmen cruising to victory & 1 should have batted to the end. That wa Short as he set himself to play a more controlled innings whilst Maxwell kept the run rate in check. Problem is Hanscomb ran Short out, then panic set in as it often does in the subcontinent as wickets fall in quick succession.

Random off topic cricket question but whatever happened to wicket keepers standing up to the stumps in the final overs of limited over cricket?
For a while 10 years ago you'd see it regularly to stop the quick single. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't but it was often a necessary risk to take that you never see anymore.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

With the bigger bats and shorter boundaries and specific training, players are better at hitting 4s and 6s now, so that there is more risk to teams of leaking boundaries than leaking singles. Having the keeper back allows the bowler more variations and wider margin of error, nothing worse than bowling the perfect ball that beats the batsman all ends up, but then ends up beating the keeper (who is up to the stumps) as well and leaking a boundary off a good ball.

Off the last 4 overs in T20 teams are generally looking for 40 to 50 runs at a minimum now (if wickets in hand). Once you get to the 16th over, start taking risks earlier in the over, if you hit a 4 or 6 off of first ball, it really puts the pressure on the bowler to get it right. If they miss their line the ball is generally getting to the boundary. Having the keeper up would make your line and length more predictable.

I'd also say that the increase in the skill of ramp/scoop/reverse/lifted shots would be a consideration. There is a risk of getting those shots wrong and getting a glove or nick through to the keeper who is back and offers some protection. Players would likely play more of those types of shots with the keeper up, with less risk of getting out.

Having the keeper back also gives them a chance at collecting the ball and getting a direct hit to effect a run out off a quick single (usually in the last over if players are missing a fast bowler and running anyway).

Love Whiteball Cricket ......Love the techniques .......hardly any gap between bat & pad, and he wonders why he can't get a Test Call up :rolleyes:

SSmith cleared that up, remember? It's about his behaviours when training ...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Match-winning 113* off 55 (MOTM too) won't help him, until he "trains" better!

Edit: Stoinis still doesn't look like a T20 opener, and
Finch's miserable form continues. How long will they carry a T20 Captain who doesn't make runs?

A couple of wins to the Aus t20 side is only due to our major tournament just finishing. You hope the players would be in form and used to the format. They clearly are and hence putting wins on the board.

A couple of wins to the Aus t20 side is only due to our major tournament just finishing. You hope the players would be in form and used to the format. They clearly are and hence putting wins on the board.

Not really. India barely made a score in the 1st T20, and Australia only just managed to win off the last ball. Only Short and Maxwell contributed with the bat, with Stoinis, Finch, Turner, NCN and Handscomb getting 13 off 15. All the bowlers played a roll with low economy rates.

In the 2nd T20, India made a big score, Rahul, Kohli and Dhoni smashed most of our bowlers except for Behrendorff and Zampa. Again Stoinis and Finch failed and Short, Maxwell and Handscomb got the runs. Maxwell played one of his best, and they still only just got there.

So really across both games, only 4 players were really in good form the whole time: Maxwell, Short, Behrendorff and Zampa.
Stoinis didn't even bowl an over across both games, and failed with the bat twice. Is not an opener. Better off having Finch there if you are going to make him Captain and play him, with him failing twice at 3, and put Stoinis in at 3-6. Turner could probably come in above Handscomb too.

Really beating India is getting past Rahul, Kohli and Dhoni, they damage you badly, the rest don't as much.
Alot of the Australians have played multiple IPL seasons, so are getting more comfortable playing limited overs cricket over there. Our batsman can't play spin for extended periods, so test matches over there we still struggle.

From ABC News:
"Australian captain Aaron Finch says the batsmen should have done better.
"I think we were 20 or 30 runs short," he said."
Easy for him (3-ball duck) to say. :rolleyes:
Since his huge dig (172 vs Zimbabwe) in T20 in July 2018, his T20 avge has fallen from nearly 48 to 37. Similarly, his ODI batting has fallen away.
OK, he's the Captain, but his batting form is dismal and his confidence must be low. His continued selection must be in some doubt, surely?

From ABC News:
"Australian captain Aaron Finch says the batsmen should have done better.
"I think we were 20 or 30 runs short," he said."
Easy for him (3-ball duck) to say. :rolleyes:
Since his huge dig (172 vs Zimbabwe) in T20 in July 2018, his T20 avge has fallen from nearly 48 to 37. Similarly, his ODI batting has fallen away.
OK, he's the Captain, but his batting form is dismal and his confidence must be low. His continued selection must be in some doubt, surely?

Needs to be sent back home to work on his game. Horribly out of form, too much pressure to perform with the Captaincy. Failures just increasing the pressue on him. Short needs to take his place in the next short form series, although feel like Finch is just warming a spot until Warner and Smith inevitably come back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please read the post again .....my comment had zero to do about winning a worthless T20 game .....it was about his Test Career prospects
How the heck does a stroke he's playing to try and get Australia a win in a T20 game have any relevance to getting picked for Test matches? That's just a completely idiotic statement as his T20 performances don't get taken into consideration when they pick the Test team.

It's like suggesting that a footballer kicking a torp after the siren from 65m out to try and win the game has poor decision making because a drop punt is more accurate and reliable (yet almost certain to not make the distance).

How the heck does a stroke he's playing to try and get Australia a win in a T20 game have any relevance to getting picked for Test matches? That's just a completely idiotic statement as his T20 performances don't get taken into consideration when they pick the Test team.

It's like suggesting that a footballer kicking a torp after the siren from 65m out to try and win the game has poor decision making because a drop punt is more accurate and reliable (yet almost certain to not make the distance).
If you think it's easy to change techniques from format to format, when you have split seconds to make a shot selection ......then I can't help explain any further why good T20 Players will struggle to play "good" Test Cricket

If you think it's easy to change techniques from format to format, when you have split seconds to make a shot selection ......then I can't help explain any further why good T20 Players will struggle to play "good" Test Cricket
Virat Kohli, David Warner, AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla and Brendon McCullum are the names of a few cricketers who have excelled at both levels.

Virat Kohli, David Warner, AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla and Brendon McCullum are the names of a few cricketers who have excelled at both levels.
5 Players named ......exceptions rather than the rule .....now run off fella, you're late for a Qooty Match

5 Players named ......exceptions rather than the rule .....now run off fella, you're late for a Qooty Match
Kane Williamson, K.L Rahul, Faf du Plessis, Jos Buttler, Babar Azam and Chris Gayle have also shown to be more than capable at both levels. Also, the SFA is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Ah, he's gone with the ol' "Condescendingly state to your opponent that your knowledge is so superior that you don't need to bother coming up with a counter-argument" strategy.

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

Ah, he's gone with the ol' "Condescendingly state to your opponent that your knowledge is so superior that you don't need to bother coming up with a counter-argument" strategy.

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.
You've said that, i haven't .....they're opinions, don't like them then don't participate

In Test Cricket your mentality "should" be different ....value your wicket, occupy the crease ......In T20 beacuse of the nothingness of the format, no-one values their wicket, becuase who cares !

One of the big things about T20 is not having the fear of getting out," McCullum told Knight during that session. "You've got to be brave enough to make decisions and make plays that carry levels of risk with them."

Batsmen have always had the choice of being philosophical about dismissal. Yet for the two centuries or so that batsmanship had been ingraining itself into the collective psyche, the philosophy of dismissal was built around responsibility. And responsibility was about the reduction of risk, and especially deliberate risk. T20, with its relative abundance of resources - the same number of wickets in a radically shortened innings - demanded a redefinition of that responsibility.

As a batsman it's easy to tell yourself to hit out or get out, to see ball, hit ball. It's much harder to actually do it when your psychic wiring is geared towards the preservation of your wicket, your ego and your sense of self.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/970867/what-is-t20-s-greatest-effect

You've said that, i haven't .....they're opinions, don't like them then don't participate

You've previously admitted to hating the game and not watching the game, so any of your opinions on any of the subjects in this thread are worth about 2 tenths of 1 perecnt of sweet f*** all.

India have the premier T20 competition, yet are ranked the #1 cricket nation.

Go figure their players can adjust between the different forms of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back