Summer of Cricket

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Yours, or mine? ;)

Calm down, KM, it's OK if I say he's lost cred with me. Why? Shit shot/dismissal today, plus in 15 Tests I don't remember a single one where he led or inspired or played us to a win.
You don't think so? No worries *shrug* :).

Ponting said on Ch. 7 that Paine's the best keeper in the world and he's a muchmuch better judge than me.
I just don't think he's Australian Test Captain material. Nice bloke, but too bland imo. A pigeon is more animated than him.
You were the one who made the outlandish statement... so its you who is making the massive overreaction. ;)

Your reasoning on leadership qualities is even funnier..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
I don't follow Cricket these days ....but what are the test averages of our test batsman now compared to other decades ?
Very similar to the early to mid 80s. Lots of late 20s (seeing our openers then were hitting around 26 to 29 average)-early 40s in the mix with a shining light above 50.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Very similar to the early to mid 80s. Lots of late 20s (seeing our openers then were hitting around 26 to 29 average)-early 40s in the mix with a shining light above 50.
I'm not disputing, but I would have thought the average would have been in the 40's ......where's the stats when you need them

hey shorty

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yours, or mine? ;)

Calm down, KM, it's OK if I say he's lost cred with me. Why? Shit shot/dismissal today, plus in 15 Tests I don't remember a single one where he led or inspired or played us to a win.

Ponting said on Ch. 7 that Paine's the best keeper in the world and he's a muchmuch better judge than me.
I just don't think he's Australian Test Captain material. Nice bloke, but too bland imo. A pigeon is more animated than him.
He doesnt lose anything with his shot today, nothing at all.

Kristof

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Yours, or mine? ;)

Paine was a good keeper a few years ago.

He's a good bloke and he's in for that reason. Had about a billion byes in the second innings.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
I'm not disputing, but I would have thought the average would have been in the 40's ......where's the stats when you need them
Australian cricket in the 80s wasn't solid, though it didn't help that they got a lot of match ups against the Windes.

But picking on the side we took to England in 1985 our team (and all it's options) with their averages at the end of their career were (worth noting a couple of players were banned due to some drama in South Africa, and of course you have players like Boon who were just establishing at this point):

Border: 50.56
Boon: 43.65
Matthews: 41.08
Wessels: 41.00
Ritche: 35.20
Phillips: 32.28
Wood: 31.83
Hilditch: 31.55
O'Donnell: 25.83
Bennett: 23.66

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Australian cricket in the 80s wasn't solid, though it didn't help that they got a lot of match ups against the Windes.

But picking on the side we took to England in 1985 our team (and all it's options) with their averages at the end of their career were (worth noting a couple of players were banned due to some drama in South Africa, and of course you have players like Boon who were just establishing at this point):

Border: 50.56
Boon: 43.65
Matthews: 41.08
Wessels: 41.00
Ritche: 35.20
Phillips: 32.28
Wood: 31.83
Hilditch: 31.55
O'Donnell: 25.83
Bennett: 23.66
Using a minimum of 15 tests played
Chappell 80's ....53.8
Yallop 80's .....41.38
Hughes 80's ....37.42
Hilditch 80's .....31.56
Wessels 80's ......41.0
Dean Jones 80's ..46.55
David Boon 80's ...43.66
Geoff Marsh 80/90..33.19
Steve Waugh 90's ...51.06
Mark Taylor 90's .....43.50
Mark Waugh 90's .....41.82

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK, productivity has been shelved for the day.

Firing up the stream, if we get to 10 runs to go I am going to the Crown for a beer to watch the rest..

Edit: well that's shit, I was looking forward to a beer grrrr

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schulzycrow

Vale Walshy..Gone too soon.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NorwoodFC, Chic Bulls, Gldn State
Leave it to the bowlers to make the runs...top six need a rocket. Only Head's dismissal was due to good bowling. The rest were poor shot selection and playing balls that they should have left. Finch isn't the answer opening, Handscomb should go and Finch should be in his spot if at all. Renshaw should be playing.
Had them on toast day 1 and let them slip out of it.
Going to be a long summer.

When is footy back?

hey shorty

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Leave it to the bowlers to make the runs...top six need a rocket. Only Head's dismissal was due to good bowling. The rest were poor shot selection and playing balls that they should have left. Finch isn't the answer opening, Handscomb should go and Finch should be in his spot if at all. Renshaw should be playing.
Had them on toast day 1 and let them slip out of it.
Going to be a long summer.

When is footy back?
Renshaw is on horrid nick though, Khawaja should open.

hey shorty

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Paine was a good keeper a few years ago.

He's a good bloke and he's in for that reason. Had about a billion byes in the second innings.
Most of them were from Starcs horrible bouncer attempts.

John Who

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Even though we lost, it appears to have been a thrilling finish judging from the online scores and radio news on 5AA. The game needed this kind of tight finishes in a Test match. Been awhile since we had a result go down to literally the last session of day 5!

I worked all day today and envy you buggers with time on your hands to watch today's cricket!

Last edited:

John Who

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
I felt we played ok, but India have a couple of gears to go that we simply dont have.

Kohli wont bat that poorly again, but we probably will.
I'm just happy it was a tight tussle. Would give a few new inclusions some confidence. Did anyone of us actually expected a win before the start of the 1st Test?

Top Bottom