Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it is strange that some players got selected on no form while others did not

However if you were correctly picking a side on form, Renshaw wouldn't be there, neither would Mitch Marsh, Labuschagne, Handscomb, or Head
The point is we dropped a player who was not out of form at Test level, because he lost in domestically... yet pick those who in poor form in both.

We may as well pick players that may have a future like Renshaw, Head, Labuschagne, etc as we need to rebuild... rather than persisting with older players who we already know are average & won't improve. It's akin to persisting a younger player like Milera or Gallucci in footy as you take the long term view of getting games into them.

The point is we dropped a player who was not out of form at Test level, because he lost in domestically... yet pick those who in poor form in both.

We may as well pick players that may have a future like Renshaw, Head, Labuschagne, etc as we need to rebuild... rather than persisting with older players who we already know are average & won't improve. It's akin to persisting a younger player like Milera or Gallucci in footy as you take the long term view of getting games into them.

The Australian national side is not a development side, it's about picking the best players to win

I'd only consider selecting players on 'potential' like Head or Renshaw (if they aren't performing at domestic level) if our side is utterly dominant

When was the last time Australia had a Test series, let alone at home, where not 1 player averaged over 40?
37 Harris
34 Head
28 Khawaja
27 Cummins
26 S Marsh
25 Paine
24 Hanscomb
16 Finch
10 M Marsh

The new guys have been our best 2 performers, with our experienced 2 really disappointing only scoring 1 50 in 7 innings.

India have 4 batsmen averaging 40+. & have 9 of the top 10 innings, including the top 7 scores.

Yeah, the real embarrassing part there is the fact the 2 least experienced batters are probably the only 2 with half respectable averages. Khawaja and S Marsh proving that they really don’t deserve to be even in our short term plans, whilst Paine proving that he’s really a keeper who can bat a bit in the Ian Healy mould, as opposed to a true wicketkeeper batsman.

Labuachagne impressed me enough yesterday to say he probably deserves to be persisted with, looked very comfortable from the get go, unlike some of his more experienced colleagues, and was out to a very good catch.

Quite frankly I think Handscombe needs to go away and play domestic for a year or 2, get some consistency at the crease and just score a heap of runs. Mitch Marsh similar, Renshaw too, coming in and out of the side like a yo-yo, failing time after time is just ruining their confidence.

When it comes to the next 12 months of Test Cricket, the powers that be need to work out what our goal is and what we’re standing for. Winning the Ashes will be a tall order no matter what happens, but if our goal is winning the Ashes at all costs, then Warner and Smith come straight back in, Khawaja stays and we probably need to be looking at brining in Wade +/- Burns to strengthen the line up. If our focus is more so setting culture and developing for the future, then thats a little different.

I agree with the article from Robert Craddock that we need to set the team prior to Sri Lanka, not after. Just because guys hit runs against Sri Lanka, doesn’t mean they can do it against a top 4 test nation.

His Test form was not awful though. How do you then explain us picking most of the Australian team, including the Marsh boys on no form. At least Renshaw has shown he has mental toughness to bat a long innings. Some players lift at a higher level... whereas others are forever ordinary, despite selectors giving them a gazillion chances to finally show their potential..

Is it that good though?

His test average is 33.4 from 20 innings, but take away his 1 century of 184 and suddenly his average is 23.8 from 19 innings. His recent shield form mirrors this, 1 half century from 10 starts this season, with only 3 innings making the 20’s and 4 single figures.

He’s been given a solid chance at it, however he’s still very young and I think he needs to go away and just score buckets of runs for a a year or 2 at domestic level prior to rushing him back into Test cricket. He’s still only 22, there’s no rush.

I really like the look of Renshaw, but he doesnt look ready for mine, to bring him back at presentnis just setting him up for failure IMO. But that seems to be our current MO, we’ve been doing it with Mitch Marsh and Handscome too.

If Warner’s not coming back, Id rather see us go with Khawaja or Burns to partner Harris, than being back Renshaw before he’s ready.

The Australian national side is not a development side, it's about picking the best players to win

I'd only consider selecting players on 'potential' like Head or Renshaw (if they aren't performing at domestic level) if our side is utterly dominant

Or if you're going so badly that you're staring at 15 players all averaging mid 30's at shield level to fill your top 6, then you might as well go with the guys in their early/mid 20's. You're getting smoked anyway, might as well see if there's some youth that will rise to the occasion and perhaps be a part of a decent 11.

Normally yes, but right now we are better off picking the younger underperforming player with potential to improve, rather than the older underperforming player who we know won't.

It's a joke he didn't get a look in this series. Should have been brought back in when clear Finch is not a Test opener. Same with Burns.

Selectors playing favourites when we can least afford to, given the lack of batting talent.
It's really not. Renshaw's form has been awful this year. Burns should have been selected, Renshaw not so much.

Or if you're going so badly that you're staring at 15 players all averaging mid 30's at shield level to fill your top 6, then you might as well go with the guys in their early/mid 20's. You're getting smoked anyway, might as well see if there's some youth that will rise to the occasion and perhaps be a part of a decent 11.
That's the thing - they don't have to be choosing players who are averaging mid 30's at shield level. They're actively choosing to do so, ignoring players with higher averages in the process.

Here are the Shield batting averages from the last 2 seasons:

That list goes down as far as Aaron Finch, as the lowest ranked player to have been selected for Test Match duties. Finch is #24 on the list. Only Khawaja, SMarsh, and Harris are inside the top-10. The top 14 players on that list are all averaging 40+, but only 4 of them are (or were) in the test team.

The selectors could pick a team which has much better shield form than the current test players. They are actively choosing not to.

I have read his autobiography. Hard worker but not the smartest person in the team. There was a reason he wasn't captain... so now we make him coach of our national team. He would be more suited to an assistant role in the national setup.

Imo, Gillespie is our best national team prospect. Would like to see Ponting more involved as an assistant.

Remember reading an article saying that Dizzy was earning more coaching county cricket than he would as Aussie coach...and the travel would be far better if it was just in one country. He makes about half as much more than Langer who is on 7 figures. As for Ponting, once again, on a big time deal with 7, is happy to help out where and when he can but to commit to the role would cost him a bucket of money.

In a perfect world though, they would be our coaches

Langer reminds me of some of the loopy posters on here
You can only do as much with the cattle you have, the bowlers have kept us in the first 2 Tests but after bowling on nearly 2 days on a flat MCG pitch, it has taken a lot out on the bowlers with the amount of work they had to do before it. Harris is showing promise but that is all this summer, this was always the outcome once CA choose to banned Smith and Warner for 1 year and set a "precedence" for ball tampering on world cricket.
Let's just say if this was the Ashes this summer, they wouldn't have done it and the Prime Minister "I am trying to please the public" wouldn't have gotten involved.

You can only do as much with the cattle you have, the bowlers have kept us in the first 2 Tests but after bowling on nearly 2 days on a flat MCG pitch, it has taken a lot out on the bowlers with the amount of work they had to do before it. Harris is showing promise but that is all this summer, this was always the outcome once CA choose to banned Smith and Warner for 1 year and set a "precedence" for ball tampering on world cricket.
Let's just say if this was the Ashes this summer, they wouldn't have done it and the Prime Minister "I am trying to please the public" wouldn't have gotten involved.
I’m not referring to his coaching ability but he comes across as an odd character, we have some of those on here who post as if they are on mushies.

As for your PM quip, seriously? Have you also indulged?

I’m not referring to his coaching ability but he comes across as an odd character, we have some of those on here who post as if they are on mushies.

As for your PM quip, seriously? Have you also indulged?
The ex-PM would have done anything to appease the public, if it was the Ashes series, he wouldn't have been so vocal which added fuel to the fire which I believe play a part in CA decision to hand such a harsh ban. He should have just kept quiet when asked at a PM press conference and just say it's up to CA, would he have of been so vocal if it was the Ashes series this summer......I doubt it and he doesn't even follow cricket!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ex-PM would have done anything to appease the public, if it was the Ashes series, he wouldn't have been so vocal which added fuel to the fire which I believe play a part in CA decision to hand such a harsh ban. He should have just kept quiet when asked at a PM press conference and just say it's up to CA, would he have of been so vocal if it was the Ashes series this summer......I doubt it and he doesn't even follow cricket!!!!
You are clutching

Have said before, that if Renshaw tweaked a hamstring at the beginning of last season he would be our current test opener and averaging 40 plus. Instead he had to play three Shield game before the first test, didn't make any runs in them and got dropped. Despite his test performances being fine.

12 months later he dominated county cricket in England (with an away Ashes series coming up, what fantastic news for Australia, right?) - makes the most first class runs of any player in the world in 2018 and gets selected to go to the UAE to play Pakistan. Then gets hit in the head at training, misses a warm up game as a result and is frozen out again. Back to Shield cricket wilderness..

Asking players who have proven themselves to prove themselves again is pointless, especially when we're not exactly flush with good options.

Have said before, that if Renshaw tweaked a hamstring at the beginning of last season he would be our current test opener and averaging 40 plus. Instead he had to play three Shield game before the first test, didn't make any runs in them and got dropped. Despite his test performances being fine.

12 months later he dominated county cricket in England (with an away Ashes series coming up, what fantastic news for Australia, right?) - makes the most first class runs of any player in the world in 2018 and gets selected to go to the UAE to play Pakistan. Then gets hit in the head at training, misses a warm up game as a result and is frozen out again. Back to Shield cricket wilderness..

Asking players who have proven themselves to prove themselves again is pointless, especially when we're not exactly flush with good options.
What are you talking about, Warnie thinks Finch is the person to open in all 3 formats.

Renshaw and Harris have the makings of a really solid opening partnership. Both young and have differing styles, but let's waste time with others instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back