Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we were incredibly bad, and still the toss of the coin a couple of times could have changed results.

Keep up, you've got to get better at reading. I'd start with Gideon Haigh.
But why does it bother you if India are being praised?

Is Will Pucovski the first Pole to play for Australia?
o_O ... say what now?
Emojis are your friend and would help to explain your intention behind such a weird question.
My birth-surname has 12 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in Oz to post-WW2 European parents.
I'm Australian and am ferociously pro-Australian and patriotic to the core.
Pucovski was born in Oz, too, so your question edited should be:
"Is Will Pucovski the first Australian to play for Australia?", to which the answer is clearly NO.

My birth-surname has 10 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in NZ to post-WW2 first generation parents.

Michael Kasprowicz, Adam Zampa... he's the first ski i can think of though.

Flag_of_Poland.jpg

Last edited:

I was born in the 20th century and I don't live with mother, hence I don't use 'emojis'
Having been born in the 20thC, you might be old enough to know that is an ethnic slur and a derogatory term in modern English usage, somewhat like referring to a Chinese person as a ****, or similar. Not just that, Will Pucovski was born in Australia and is an Australian citizen. His Polish heritage is irrelevant.
As am I, and Deaneus:
My birth-surname has 10 letters and ends in -ski, but I was born in NZ to post-WW2 first generation parents. Michael Kasprowicz, Adam Zampa... he's the first ski i can think of though.

As for not living with your mother, I'd guess she's a happy woman. Lucky, certainly. ;):p
deaneus, are you going to let the ***** jibe stand?

Last edited by a moderator:

I've just looked it up and it is a slur, so i'll go through and change them, but ***** has never bothered me.

I used to work with an Italian bloke who would give me crap, and tell me how we got our asses kicked in WW2. I would tell him, sure we did, but at least we didn't change sides when we were losing. So i much prefer to give it back.

Last edited:
Is Pucovski name of Polish origi? I suspect it's more Baltic or Russian. There is no "v" in the polish alphabet. They use a "w" and pronounce it "v".
Exactly. :thumbsu:
Most likely it was Pucowski, but they got tired of people saying "Pu-cow-ski".
Puh-cov-ski is how it's pronounced.
Monica Lewinsky (Levinski) and Lisa Kudrow (kuh-drov) are similarly mispronounced.

Last edited:
Because we were incredibly bad, and still the toss of the coin a couple of times could have changed results.

Keep up, you've got to get better at reading. I'd start with Gideon Haigh.
India completely outplayed us for most of the series.

It was the first time in decades where no batsman scored a century for the whole series. I think the Indians had 9/10 top scores, including the top 7.

India winning was a fair reflection of their dominance which was not mainly due to winning the toss.

It was the first time in decades where no batsman scored a century for the whole series. I think the Indians had 9/10 top scores, including the top 7.
It wasn't the "first time in decades", it was the first time ever that no Australian batsman scored a century in a 4+ test series in Australia.

I don't recall Wade being a personally abusive line-crosser or rule-stretcher, but Vader might be right.
I posted from the Shield final that he got narky with somebody in the crowd. Then there was the ' ball tampering ' in the same game

A player ''accidentally'' stepped on the ball

The appointment of Justin Langer as Senior Coach of the Australian Cricket Team seems to have significantly disturbed one of the time honoured traditions...

Players used to be given their Baggy Green, hidden away in a brown paper bag, the day they received their Baggy Blue (NSW cap). Today, playing for NSW is no longer the ticket to automatic selection that it used to be. Now, if you want to play for Australia, one must first represent the Sandgropers!

In other news... Mitch Marsh has gone to hospital, and won't be available for the first ODI. Australia's chances of winning just rose from 0.3% to 5%. Marsh's replacement, naturally, is another West Australian (Ashton Turner).

** Turner does actually have the form to suggest that this isn't just another of Langer's nepotism selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having been born in the 20thC, you might be old enough to know that is an ethnic slur and a derogatory term in modern English usage, somewhat like referring to a Chinese person as a ****, or similar. Not just that, Will Pucovski was born in Australia and is an Australian citizen. His Polish heritage is irrelevant.
As am I, and Deaneus:

As for not living with your mother, I'd guess she's a happy woman. Lucky, certainly. ;):p

I didn't know it was a slur and didn't have that intent. Calm down mate. I meant it in the vein of 'Polish heritage'

Watch this great clip of my hero, Norm, standing up for the Polish people

It wasn't the "first time in decades", it was the first time ever that no Australian batsman scored a century in a 4+ test series in Australia.

Pretty damning stat isn't it - could have sworn it happened in the mid 80s but I guess AB and Boonie were there to cover up the cracks

Re: Glenn Maxwell ---
"When Maxwell was left out of Australia's squad for the two Tests against Pakistan in the UAE last year, reports emerged suggesting CA itself had played a role in denying Maxwell the opportunity to hone his long-form skills and make a case for Test selection.
The reports, which Maxwell later confirmed, claimed he was instructed by CA not to play county cricket in England during the off-season to rest for an Australia A tour of India. Maxwell was subsequently left out of that tour, with the justification that he did not need the added practice against spin bowling fuelling the assumption he would be selected for the UAE tour.
When he was not, it meant he had foregone any opportunity to play red-ball cricket for the majority of 2018, leaving him short of match practice when the 2018/19 Sheffield Shield season began and a long way back in the queue for Test selection. (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...rumpy-langer-hits-back/10705836?section=sport)".
If it was confirmed by Maxwell, JL, it happened but while Boof was Coach. The mystery of Maxwell's non-selection remains, especially after his fine ton in India which showed application, concentration and Test-level skills. Does it have anything to do with this:
"Maxwell was indirectly accused by Al Jazeera's documentary (without mentioning his name) as a chief suspect in the possible match fixing allegations during the 3rd Test match held between India and Australia which happened at Ranchi, a match where Glenn Maxwell recorded his maiden test century. However Maxwell denied all of the allegations levelled against him and replied that he didn't have any need to do such a thing to spoil the moment of cricket. " (Wikipedia)?

Just as mysteriously, Matthew Wade has been omitted because he doesn't bat high enough on the Tassie list according to Hohns. Does it matter where Wade makes his runs? I suspect some Paine-Wade rivalry is at work there.
Edit, re Wade: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...ection-of-matthew-wade/10705916?section=sport

Last edited:
India completely outplayed us for most of the series.

India winning was a fair reflection of their dominance which was not mainly due to winning the toss.
Ugh.

Never has anyone said the results were mainly due to the toss.

India were 5-80 in one test and 8-100 in another - both tests we still managed to lose!

We were s**t. We bat first in Melbourne and Adelaide, though, and who knows.

But it will always be who knows, because they facts are we didn't and India won.

Ugh.

Never has anyone said the results were mainly due to the toss.

India were 5-80 in one test and 8-100 in another - both tests we still managed to lose!

We were s**t. We bat first in Melbourne and Adelaide, though, and who knows.

But it will always be who knows, because they facts are we didn't and India won.
You have been on a mission to give excuses why we were unlucky to lose the series.

We were not unlucky, but comprehensively beaten. Would have lost the series even if we won every toss as our batting was incapable of putting enough runs on the board

Finally the selectors have got the message & have made some positive changes, including dumping the Marsh brothers & Finch.

You have been on a mission to give excuses why we were unlucky to lose the series.

We were not unlucky, but comprehensively beaten. Would have lost the series even if we won every toss as our batting was incapable of putting enough runs on the board

Finally the selectors have got the message & have made some positive changes, including dumping the Marsh brothers & Finch.
There are 2 separate issues:
1. If India was truly dominant, and we were really that appalling, the series should have been lost 3-0 or 4-0, a whitewash. The fact we managed to win the Perth match comfortably suggests we weren’t as bad or Indians weren’t as dominant. The coin tosses won or loss, with the pitch favouring heavily the first team batting in 3rd and 4th Tests, did have an influence on the overall result.
So, I think the summary is that we were pretty bad. Indians overall played better. In footy terms, they “did what they needed to do to get the points”.

2. The poor showing with the batting performances have awoken the selectors into focusing more on consistent performances rather than potential/name. Which is a damn good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back