Endless Summer of Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Taylor.

He was the worlds best captain whilst barely contributing, so we won't notice much difference with runs compared to Finch and god damned, the quality of the captaincy from the gum chewing messiah at first slip...be the s**t.
He's unavailable as still trying to nail the current fijitsu advert.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because I keep going on about Finch ad nauseam, I have to put in the caveat that I actually have no problem with him whatsoever, he is one of the most destructive short form players when in form, but he is currently out of form so I want someone else picked who will do better.

I have pulled up all Finch's games since Warner/Smith/Bancroft were banned in SA.

Australia ODIs
Starting 13/6/18
England 19 L
England 0 L
England 20 L
England 100 L
England 22 L
SA 5 L
SA 41 W
SA 11 L
India 6 W
India 6 L
India 14 L
India 0 L
India 37 L
India 93 W
India 0 W
India 27 W

16G 5W 11L
401 runs @ 25.06 average
1 x 100 in a L
1 x 50 in a W
1 x 41 in a W
3 x ducks
6 x under 10
10 x 20 or under

Australia T20s
England 84 L
Pak 68* W
Zim 172 W
Pak 16 L
Zim 3 W
Pak 47 L
UAE 1 W
Pak 0 L
Pak 3 L
Pak 1 L
SA 7 L
India 27 W
India 0 NR
India 28 L
India 0 W
India 8 W

16G 7W 8L 1NR
465 runs @ 31 average
1 x 172 in a win
2 x 50+
If you take out the first 3 scores (where he got 324 runs @ 162 ave) and just take his last 13 innings,
he has 141 runs @ 10.84 ave with a high of 47.

Australia Tests
Pakistan 62 + 49 D
Pakistan 39 + 31 L
India 0 + 11 L
India 50 + 25 W
India 8 + 3 L

5G 1W 3L 1D
278 runs @ 27.8 average
2 x 50

Renegades T20
Hurricanes 42 W
Stars 14 L
Thunder 54 W
Scorchers 8 W
Thunder 10 W
Hurricanes 35 L
Sixers Semi 44 W
Stars Final 13 W

8G 6W 2L
220 runs @ 27.5 average
1 x 50

Sheffield Shield
27/11/18
Qld 50 + 1 W

51 runs @ 25.5 average

What the numbers show is that he has been pretty consistently average in the last 9 months since Warner and Smith have been out of the system.
He had a purple patch in Australian T20's where in 3 games he got 324 runs with a 84, 68* and a 172, but in the 13 games since then he has 141 runs @ 10.84 ave.

ODI's 16G - 401 runs @ 25.06 ave
T20's 16G - 465 runs @ 31 ave
Tests 5G - 278 runs @ 27.8 ave
Renegades T20's 8G - 278 runs @ 27.8 ave
Sheffield Shield Vic 1G - 220 runs @ 25.5 ave

Difficult to hold you spot as a premier batsman with an average around 27 across all formats in the last 9 months.
Not sure that being a good captain makes up for the sheer lack of runs. Up until the recent wins over India we had a shocking win/loss ODi record over the last year. So it's not like we were winning every game due to Finch's captaincy skills.
Shaun Marsh lost his spot too and he has scored 3 ODI centuries in the last 9 months, although he has been horrific in tests.
I think the stats might reflect also the issue of Finch being a beneficiary when his “in-form” was aided by the presence of Warner/Smith. Similar issue with MMarsh, who looked even worse after the demotion to Warner/Smith.

This stat is the main premise why we would want our best players back to playing (and hopefully in form).

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Like a few other posters, I've questioned Finch's worth in our ODI side --- good captain, but not making enough runs to justify his selection etc.
Well, Finch put that to bed last night with his 116 off 135 balls, justifying Langer's faith in him. Goodonim, too.
The *crack* of bat on ball was scary-impressive when he hit the ball out of the park and also nearly decapitated Yasir Shah, who'll have a ball-shaped bruise on his left pec (showing the seam and maybe even some lettering, :D) for some time.
Very good win without rested Cummins, too, with Smarsh defiantly making the point that he's not done yet.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Looks like this thread is dying a slow death, but
I have to remark on Finch's sensational second ton in 3 days, this time 153* off 143 balls, with 11 x 4s and 6 x 6s, YOWZA :oops::thumbsu: !! The Khawaja-Finch opening alliance is developing strongly by the match. I wonder what the selectors will do ie
Finch (c)
Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Smarsh
Maxwell
would be a formidable Top 6.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...an-fifth-odi-victory-aaron-finch-ton/10920876

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I have to remark on Finch's sensational second ton in 3 days, this time 153* off 143 balls, with 11 x 4s and 6 x 6s, YOWZA :oops::thumbsu: !! The Khawaja-Finch opening alliance is developing strongly by the match. I wonder what the selectors will do ie
Finch (c)
Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Smarsh
Maxwell
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...an-fifth-odi-victory-aaron-finch-ton/10920876
Looking like a plausible top-6.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Has Warner ever played at 3?
He's opened in all but one of his 104 ODI innings.

He batted at #5 in an ODI against Scotland, during the 2015 WC. He scored 21no off 11 balls. Not what I'd call a statistically significant sample size!

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
No surprise to see Ashwin do the Mankad on Buttler.
It's the lowest form of dismissal, suited to Ashwin's (lack of) character.
It wasn't as if Buttler had been encroaching by a third or more of the pitch, as some do.
Did Ashwin warn him, previously? It doesn't matter; the Mankad is a scuzzy out.

No surprise to see Ashwin do the Mankad on Buttler.
It's the lowest form of dismissal, suited to Ashwin's (lack of) character.
It wasn't as if Buttler had been encroaching by a third or more of the pitch, as some do.
Did Ashwin warn him, previously? It doesn't matter; the Mankad is a scuzzy out.
Did Ashwin give a warning first? I would only consider it if a batsman was clearly backing up way too far, but would warn him 1st. If he didn't take on the warning then fair game. However, mankad without a warning is a low act & not in the spirit of the game.

Finch (c)
Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Smarsh
Maxwell
Where does Stoinis bat?

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Did Ashwin give a warning first? I would only consider it if a batsman was clearly backing up way too far, but would warn him 1st. If he didn't take on the warning then fair game.
No, no warning, in fact Ashwin didn't even make an attempt at delivering the ball (which should = dead ball = not out imo).
Buttler had only meandered about a metre out of his crease while Ashwin stopped, watched and waited for him to get out of his ground.
You're right, some batsmen are a third of the way down the wicket especially in the last few overs, trying to gain an unfair advantage. I was a bowler, too busy bowling to notice a batsman backing up, never warned anybody, never considered a Mankad which is a low act.

Last edited:

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Where does Stoinis bat?
Good question. Maybe in the nets only! ;)
It's going to be a choice between Stoinis and Maxwell, isn't it? The six I mentioned would work in that order --- if Khawaja and Finch make a big opening partnership (and it'd be a shame to separate them, now, because they seem to have gelled so well), Warner could come in at #3 and club quick runs. Same, if Finch or Khawaja got out, early.
I'd say the prelim. games will decide who plays in the later rounds if we make finals.

No, no warning, in fact Ashwin didn't even make an attempt at delivering the ball (which should = dead ball = not out imo).
Buttler had only meandered about a metre out of his crease while Ashwin stopped, watched and waited for him to get out of his ground.
You're right, some batsmen are a third of the way down the wicket especially in the last few overs, trying to gain an unfair advantage. I was a bowler, too busy bowling to notice a batsman backing up, never warned anybody, never considered a Mankad which is a low act.
Very low act by Ashwin then, which he will now be remembered for.

How much did the Indian bookmakers pay him for it...

Good question. Maybe in the nets only! ;)
It's going to be a choice between Stoinis and Maxwell, isn't it? The six I mentioned would work in that order --- if Khawaja and Finch make a big opening partnership (and it'd be a shame to separate them, now, because they seem to have gelled so well), Warner could come in at #3 and club quick runs. Same, if Finch or Khawaja got out, early.
I'd say the prelim. games will decide who plays in the later rounds if we make finals.
Agree the preliminary games will determine the best lineup for the finals & form should play a major role.

Imo, Stoinis is needed for team balance as the pace allrounder option in the UK. If anything Maxwell may give way as we have other batsmen who can bowl spin with Smith & Finch

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
There in lies the issue as Finch & Khawaja opening partnership is now looks solid...
Not really much of an issue if Warner has form and hunger. If he’s good enough he can bat anywhere in the top 4. There’s a difference between neglible stats of him batting below the opening order, and poor stats of him batting below the opening order.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Stoinis is needed for team balance as the pace allrounder option in the UK. If anything Maxwell may give way as we have other batsmen who can bowl spin with Smith & Finch
Yeah, good point.
The Aussie selectors sometimes adopt a 'horses for courses' policy (unlike the Crows selectors, who rely on Gold Passes and reputation :rolleyes: :() and could choose Maxwell over Stoinis on decks known to turn (eg Cardiff).
Agree, form will (ie should!) decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back