Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warner: nothing's changed. Poor form, yet big mouth. This is revealing ---
I'd forgotten that Warner dropped Stokes when he was on 34 in that bizarre, crazy Test.

Leopard spots
Yep.
Several posters have said they don't care about his character/behaviour as long as he makes runs ie the end justifies his poor sportsmanship and angry means.
Well, he was a total bust in England which has counted for nothing. His T20 run-fest vs Sri Lanka has him redeemed and retained in the Aussie Test side, but I'd be fine if he had been omitted.
In the frog/scorpion parable, a scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. Afraid of being stung, the frog hesitates, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. While they're both floundering before they drown, the frog asks the scorpion WHY. The scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.
Knowing well the nature of David Warner, Langer and the Selectors are accountable for the fall-out from Warner's behaviours. At some stage this Summer, Warner's true nature will out and embarrass us all, again.

Yep.
Several posters have said they don't care about his character/behaviour as long as he makes runs ie the end justifies his poor sportsmanship and angry means.
Well, he was a total bust in England which has counted for nothing. His T20 run-fest vs Sri Lanka has him redeemed and retained in the Aussie Test side, but I'd be fine if he had been omitted.
In the frog/scorpion parable, a scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. Afraid of being stung, the frog hesitates, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. While they're both floundering before they drown, the frog asks the scorpion WHY. The scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.
Knowing well the nature of David Warner, Langer and the Selectors are accountable for the fall-out from Warner's behaviours. At some stage this Summer, Warner's true nature will out and embarrass us all, again.
Poor frogs

Yep.
I can understand somewhat your sentiments regarding Warner. Though you’re relating a person’s character put in society as though it’s the same as a character put onto a sporting field. And typically anyone in life versus on a sporting field would behave differently.

Yes, Warner embarrassed us all back in early 2018. Though I don’t recall him doing anything overly embarrassing prior to that sandpapergate. The only other thing Warner has been embarrassing since then is the amount of runs he scored (or the lack of) in the recent Ashes! People deserve a second chance on a sporting field, particularly if that privilege is allowed for anyone else outside a sporting field.

... Though you’re relating a person’s character put in society as though it’s the same as a character put onto a sporting field.
3)And typically anyone in life versus on a sporting field would behave differently.
1) Yes, Warner embarrassed us all back in early 2018. Though I don’t recall him doing anything overly embarrassing prior to that sandpapergate. ...
2) People deserve a second chance on a sporting field, particularly if that privilege is allowed for anyone else outside a sporting field.
Mate, your memory has failed you, please have a look at:
which by no means details Warner's complete record of boorish, or bullying, and/or FIGJAM-behaviours. I cannot remember watching Warner play without seeing him show some bull's-roar at a catch he's taken or a run-out he's been a part of. Look also at Stokes' version of the Headingly debacle, where Stokes (hardly an innocent himself, btw) was sledged relentlessly by Warner --- who had dropped him on 34!!
After the dropped catch especially, Warner should have kept his big mouth shut.
2) I agree, totally.
Warner got his second, third and fourth chances during the 2019 Ashes series when he was an abject failure. His previous ODI World Cup form was good and so is his T20 form recently. He's been given yet another chance, because Langer wants him to open against Pakistan but watch him, carefully, because he is only one incident away from another meltdown. Warner needs serious anger management counselling (AFL equivalent, think Toby Greene/Barry Hall), which brings me to:
3) ie why should people be allowed to play/behave differently on a sports field from how they behave away from a sporting field?
Look at Andrew Gaff's wild hit on Brayshaw, for which he was suspended for 8 weeks. ONLY!! o_O o_O
Off-ground if he had done that (broken jaw + 3 teeth dislodged) he'd likely have received a jail sentence.

Warner is a spoiler and a bully. I can easily imagine him chucking a wobbly at home, at practice, at a bbq or social occasion any time he does not get his own way. I'm sure you know the type I mean, that he is. He ruined that last series in South Africa (don't forget the de Kock incident, when de Kock finally retaliated in kind to Warner's sledging to which Warner indignantly cried foul, the hypocrite!). Warner helped to tarnish Bancroft's career and helped to deprive us of a year of Steve Smith. Take Warner out of that side in South Africa and there would have been no "sandpapergate".
I don't care about why he seethes such anger. David, get some good help --- you can well afford it from the huge money you make from playing the game that you drag through the mud.
What I care about are the thousands of boys/adolescents and young men who imitate his worst behaviours in cricket grounds all over Australia, and the reputation of Australian Cricket. World-wide, we are judged by Warner's actions and reviled accordingly. He was:
"the most disliked player in the world's most disliked team" and if you wonder why, here:
" ... he took to the pulpit last year [2017, I think] to lecture South Africa after their captain Faf du Plessis was caught up in a ball-tampering row in Australia.
'I just know from an Australian cricket perspective, we hold our heads high,' said Warner.
'I'd be very disappointed if one of our team members did that. The rules are in place for a reason. If you're not going to use them, why bother having
them?' ". (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...ner-disliked-player-worlds-disliked-team.html)
Yeah David. Why, indeed?

Ashton Agar was pretty lucky/unlucky, got hit between the eyes after trying to catch his brother
Worst 'falcon' I've ever seen.

As for unlucky, how's this?
Playing Sunday Cricket years ago, one of my best (read:worst) legside long-hops was dispatched for six, landing deep in the car park and smashing the windscreen ...
of my own car! :'(

So it is...

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

I'm personally sick of Warner but he'll probably do well and the possible replacements Harris, Khawaja, Bancroft, Renshaw have been utter junk

So it is...

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

I'm personally sick of Warner but he'll probably do well and the possible replacements Harris, Khawaja, Bancroft, Renshaw have been utter junk
Harris has gone ok in the Shield hasn't he??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it is...

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Solid line-up I reckon.

We don't have any other openers and at least Burns is more proven than guys like Harris and Bancroft. Head has been performing at FC level and deserves another chance. Wade and Labuschagne, surprisingly, are locks right now.

While I'm critical of Starc at test level, he's been bowling better than usual in the Shield which is promising, and his obvious replacement (Richardson) is still coming off that injury. I'm hoping we see more from Hazlewood than in the past few series too

"Sick of Warner", yes, me too.
I'm ambivalent about Khawaja, though, because his Australian record is pretty good, as is Warner's.
Happy to see Head get another chance, but his Test career will be short if he keeps leaning back and slashing at wide balls; he's gotta get over the ball more to middle it.

These 2 have batted well.

Then Starc bowls a ball that all lower order batsmen hate.

Not sure that’s technologies fault, that’s just plain old human error.
Either not knowing the rules or not knowing how to interpret them.
I'm talking about the controversy that comes with it.

How many wickets wouldn't have stood over time if we checked the foot ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back