Sunday Outage - Can't connect to BF

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but since the outage I haven't been able to connect to Bigfooty from my normal ISP but I can via my VPN, which takes a different route. Normally connection pathing issues aren't the fault of a site or server it's located on, usually a faulty node somewhere in between but it is not normal for an outage to be down this long without an alternative route being used. In this case, both final nodes before bigfooty's domain are Amazon nodes.

My normal ISP (TPG) tries to path through 52.93.240.63 which is an Amazon node in Seattle.
The VPN currently in use paths through equinix02-sfo5.amazon.com [206.223.116.236] which is in Redwood, California. This one is able to connect to the website.

Not a huge issue for me, as I have a VPN, but TPG is a fairly large ISP, there might be a number of users who can't access the website. I had a similar problem earlier in the week where the site was slow as arse through my ISP but worked normally through the VPN. Might be a related issue.

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but since the outage I haven't been able to connect to Bigfooty from my normal ISP but I can via my VPN, which takes a different route. Normally connection pathing issues aren't the fault of a site or server it's located on, usually a faulty node somewhere in between but it is not normal for an outage to be down this long without an alternative route being used. In this case, both final nodes before bigfooty's domain are Amazon nodes.

My normal ISP (TPG) tries to path through 52.93.240.63 which is an Amazon node in Seattle.
The VPN currently in use paths through equinix02-sfo5.amazon.com [206.223.116.236] which is in Redwood, California. This one is able to connect to the website.

Not a huge issue for me, as I have a VPN, but TPG is a fairly large ISP, there might be a number of users who can't access the website. I had a similar problem earlier in the week where the site was slow as arse through my ISP but worked normally through the VPN. Might be a related issue.

Thanks for the info, it's helpful to know what is being experienced. We've raised an issue with Amazon to get to the root cause of the outage. Elastic load balancing is their core infrastructure and is meant to fundamentally "just work". Some of the ISPs such as TPG (and possibly iiNet) are meant to have direct network inter-connect relationships with Amazon now. Certainly testing just now from iiNet it handed off to Amazon after only a few hops with some reasonable ping times between 200-250ms.

We're trying to get to the bottom of it, but it's frustrating.

Thanks for the info, it's helpful to know what is being experienced. We've raised an issue with Amazon to get to the root cause of the outage. Elastic load balancing is their core infrastructure and is meant to fundamentally "just work". Some of the ISPs such as TPG (and possibly iiNet) are meant to have direct network inter-connect relationships with Amazon now. Certainly testing just now from iiNet it handed off to Amazon after only a few hops with some reasonable ping times between 200-250ms.

We're trying to get to the bottom of it, but it's frustrating.

I can connect now via the ISP, it is using different nodes now. Thank you for your help. :)

TPG bought out iinet but I think iinet still uses the Telstra/Optus backbone to California, TPG's regular customers go through Seattle most of the time. I don't have a huge grasp on how the ISPs/backbones work with each other, it generally does work pretty well.

Thanks again for your help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back