Suns first ever Thursday/Friday night match not on FTA Nationwide. Why?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Can't blame this one of the AFL though can you?

I presume they are going to televise Freo vs Geelong FTA instead on the Monday night?

They aren't showing the blockbuster tonight on FTA so being the standalone game doesn't guarantee you a FTA audience. Contracts and such I presume (f*n stoopid but there you have it).

I would wager that the casual/neutral supporter has far more interest in the Suns vs Dogs game than Freo vs Geelong.
This is a mistake as far as I'm concerned. If it's about nothing other than ratings then it's missing the mark, plus the short sighted nature of it. You want people taking the Gold Coast Suns seriously? Put them in prime time when they are in form. The AFL are half-pregnant on this one. Strange decision making.

Edit: unless it's the broadcaster. In which case it's ridiculous on their part.

Obzerva

Team Captain
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the Suns get up, it might be an incentive for the AFL to give them a Friday night game given the draw isn’t finalised.
7 will have to show it then

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Garbage. Suns I'd agree with but Blues? Not a chance. Port Adelaide are light years more entertaining, and would make a much better contest for the Suns.

We’re 5th for PF and 4th for PA. For nothing more than free flowing high scoring football (which is what everyone seems to be harping on about) the Blues are your team.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
We’re 5th for PF and 4th for PA. For nothing more than free flowing high scoring football (which is what everyone seems to be harping on about) the Blues are your team.

On 3 occasions Carlton have kicked what could be called a high score this season.

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
Can we all just agree that we hope Channel 7 loses the rights to the AFL? Channel 7 Melbourne is just a terrible organisation, bereft of any original, creative or innovative thinking? It is just a wasteland of the talent-less and the dross.

Only you could turn this discussion into a kick a vic comment. You really are laughable.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For the same reason all your other games aren't on FTA?

Your club has no fans outside of the Gold Coast and 7 are supposed to only get 3 games a week.

This isn't the first Thursday match to not be on FTA either.

Very short sighted comment. The no fans outside of the Gold Coast part isn't actually helping your argument.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Only you could turn this discussion into a kick a vic comment. You really are laughable.

It's not kick a Vic. It is Kick Channel 7 Melbourne who are completely responsible for the shithouse production of football and who haven't had an original thought outside Roaming Brian which they now flog like a dead horse in 30 years.

Channel 10 (Melbourne) for the brief time they had it brought in some innovation, as did Ch 9 (Melbourne) when they had it. Fox Footy (based in Melbourne) do some different and innovative things too.

Channel 7's coverage sucks.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Can we all just agree that we hope Channel 7 loses the rights to the AFL? Channel 7 Melbourne is just a terrible organisation, bereft of any original, creative or innovative thinking? It is just a wasteland of the talent-less and the dross.
The AFL need to do the broadcast themselves and sell it to FTA as a complete package. Instead, the good commentators get stuck on Fox or VFL coverage.

1 Commentator, 1 Special Comments (with actual analysis and graphics) + 1 Boundary Line Rider. That's all you need. Have 50 people in the studio pre game for all I care, but that would be Ch7/9/10's choice.

Basically how Optus does EPL. EPL gives the footage and commentary, Optus does some preshow stuff.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Such a dick move this isn't on FTA

GCS deserve it, great entertaining team.

Though, realistically.... if you have internet, anyone with any common sense is using Kayo now. I use it even when it's live FTA.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I enjoy how other teams can sneeze and channel 7 will be swarming around them, when we have to work bloody hard just to get 1 FTA game a year (had 0 last year, and were scheduled for 0 this year before Covid) and then people complain about why we need a massive handout than others when we get 0 national exposure for sponsors.

Will enjoy Thursday night for what it is, but it should really be on FTA.
The fixture and the broadcast isn't about a reward or assisting clubs - it's about maximising arses on seats and eyes on TVs.

If Ch7's analytics tell them that a game won't rate particularly well, then they won't show it in primetime.

If the AFL know it won't rate - then they won't waste their big clubs in that slot.

Basically, the AFL haven't gifted the Suns a primetime slot. They've used the Suns to fill a gap on Thursday night.

Having said that, I'm surprised there's no interest in a Suns-Bulldogs game right now.

Round 9 FTA coverage
  • Wed night: WB v Rich (7 Nationally)
  • Thurs night: Melb v PA (7 Nat.)
  • Fri 5.40pm: Carl v Haw
  • Fri night: Ess v Bris (7 Nat.)
  • Sat 2.35pm: NM v Adel (7 SA)
  • Sat 5.10pm: StK v Syd (7 NSW)
  • Sat night: WC v Geel (7 Nat.)
  • Sun 3.35pm: GC v GWS (7 QLD, NSW) - Usually a national FTA timeslot. Doesn't really bother me, it's a problem for those who say the Suns are given everything on a plate though.
  • Sun 6.10pm: Frem v Coll (7 WA)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Suns and Blues - amazingly - are the two most entertaining teams to watch this year.
Port vs st k was a good watch last night as was giants richmond - i have some hope that the season is starting to throw up a few good smashes.

im also about to attend eag coll -so prepared for a balloon burst....

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
1595755695175.png

Back