Autopsy Suns go goalless in NEAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Need a national reserves Comp, their players aren't getting to compete against quality opponents to help their development

Ummmm... their reserves are losing to average reserve sides?

The Box Hill Hawks would kick 200 against their rabble.

Need a national reserves Comp, their players aren't getting to compete against quality opponents to help their development
The afl are telling clubs in the neafl that there won’t be a reserves comp and the neafl will stay.

They created this mess and they’re desperate for it to work. Only one local club has won a premiership in its existence

Mmmm

I think your have to understand the NEAFL. It's different to the VFL, WAFL or SANFL in that the AFL clubs use it as a development league.

No, all those other leagues you mentioned have been severely tainted by the AFL clubs using them as outlets for development/practice/fitness. Anyway, that is another debate..

No, all those other leagues you mentioned have been severely tainted by the AFL clubs using them as outlets for development/practice/fitness. Anyway, that is another debate..
Read my post more carefully and don't quote out of context please.

Mmmm

I think your have to understand the NEAFL. It's different to the VFL, WAFL or SANFL in that the AFL clubs use it as a development league. Our previous NEAFL coach Brett Hand said openly the goal of our NEAFL team is not to win the NEAFL, it's to develop AFL players.
I don't know the Suns particular issues today but previously they've complained that have to use fill in players from clubs like Aspley, and end up with the bottom of their list.
We use academy kids a lot but with the championships on that restricts availability.
We flew a guy from the Broken Hill local league down to play NEAFL today as well.

Bottom line is don't read too much into NEAFL or the fact the Suns had 11 listed players today. The other 11 could have been anything, and likely were.
Who was that?

Ummmm... their reserves are losing to average reserve sides?

The Box Hill Hawks would kick 200 against their rabble.
Because their reserve players haven't played against players the quality of the Box Hill Hawks, they need to play against stronger opponents regularly to help their development.

Yeah but your VFL team will have listed players that aren't AFL listed. The VFL allows players to be paid reasonable money that aren't up to AFL standard .The NEAFL reserves sides dont. That means constantly using fillers from wherever.

More money in metro league footy than VFL. You get the odd VFL pro like we had Pods for instance but they are mostly just fillers from the GFL. So yes while they may be technically listed they essentially play for their GFL clubs and aren't on a base contract at all, majority only get the match payments when they play as top ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More money in metro league footy than VFL. You get the odd VFL pro like we had Pods for instance but they are mostly just fillers from the GFL. So yes while they may be technically listed they essentially play for their GFL clubs and aren't on a base contract at all, majority only get the match payments when they play as top ups.
OK fair point, but there isn't the depth either in local comps in NSW and QLD. Many of the fill in players would be of low standard and not necessarily local. It's not the same.

Yeah but your VFL team will have listed players that aren't AFL listed. The VFL allows players to be paid reasonable money that aren't up to AFL standard .The NEAFL reserves sides dont. That means constantly using fillers from wherever.

Non AFL-listed VFL, WAFL and SANFL players get paid 2/5 of SFA. The salary cap in the WAFL is about $300k - per team.

The best guys like Troy Selwood can hope for is employment with the AFL club while playing in the VFL team, which is no different to Sam Reid at GWS really.

Obviously there is more interest and therefore more money in footy in the Southern states in general, and there is no real policing of third party deals - but that's a separate issue. A mate of mine played a couple of years of WAFL and has since dropped back to A Grade ammos. The commitment required to play state league footy is totally out of whack with the reward on offer.

Non AFL-listed VFL, WAFL and SANFL players get paid 2/5 of SFA. The salary cap in the WAFL is about $300k - per team.

The best guys like Troy Selwood can hope for is employment with the AFL club while playing in the VFL team, which is no different to Sam Reid at GWS really.

Obviously there is more interest and therefore more money in footy in the Southern states in general, and there is no real policing of third party deals - but that's a separate issue. A mate of mine played a couple of years of WAFL and has since dropped back to A Grade ammos. The commitment required to play state league footy is totally out of whack with the reward on offer.
Ok I get that.

Sam Reid did actually retire and change his mind I believe but Dylan Addison was kept around to play NEAFL. He still does as the welfare manager but that is a real job and playing now an aside I think.

I still think you would have better quality filler players on the whole though.

Ok I get that.

Sam Reid did actually retire and change his mind I believe but Dylan Addison was kept around to play NEAFL. He still does as the welfare manager but that is a real job and playing now an aside I think.

I still think you would have better quality filler players on the whole though.

There's simply a greater depth of talent in WA, SA and Vic relative to NSW/Qld. Which is why I don't mind the NEAFL model of 10 teams across 2 states and 2 territories rather than just the Qld/NSW clubs playing in Qld and NSW comps.

I have been saying it for years.
Blaze, Bears, United, Titans.....Suns .

The Gold Coast is an absolute graveyard for professional sporting teams. The AFL made a huge mistake.

Carrying on is just a concord fallacy. The afl would be wise to admit their mistake and pack up shop. The money spent up until now is sunk. There is no point wasting more money.
Because you’re filling Etihad every week. Thought I read that the AFL funded St Kilda $20 million + last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back