Autopsy SUNS @ Hawthorn - Sat 23rd June

Remove this Banner Ad

How can we play well for one quarter and then just roll over!? F***ing pathetic.

Are the players on the same diet as Dew? The fitness levels are atrocious.

We just don’t have the players that can play this game style.. when we attack like the first quarter we get some good play with run and carry then when we try play defensive like second and 3rd players are too worried about trying to defend and not handling the the pressure! Toward the last part of the 4th when we played attacking we started to get the ball in our half but kept turning it over with poor skills because we were cooked from quarters 2 and 3

It seems our senior players are the ones who mostly continue to go missing first and then the younger guys seem to follow

Full rebuilds don’t seem to work. How long have Carlton, St Kilda and Brisbane been building for?

Still in the same spot for them. Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have it in the sweet spot. Geelong have missed the finals once in 11 years or something ridiculous like that. Swans and Hawks very similar. With free agency the full rebuild is dead,
because with free agency once a team is put together enough ready to head into the higher parts of the ladder they lose all their important parts to free agency/demanding a trade.

You may get lucky like for a year like a Bulldogs, or have vast amounts of wealth and political pull like Richmond to dig out. But the teams down the bottom are the same ones year after year. We are doomed to repeat this cycle.

I just can’t bother with it anymore, which is sad cause watching every week us beat our heads against a brick wall is disheartening.
I don't think Carlton , brisbane ,st Kilda do a full rebuild , Carlton trade in GWS players , Brisbane stuff up with c grade or injuries trade in , as for St Kilda I don't know what they are doing since Ross Lyon left , I mean even Fremantle.cut like 22 players for their rebuild,

Might as well rebuild properly no point waste time and money on trade in , Young and Holman basically holding two spot from the list from young players . Just go into the draft and pick state league players and young players and rebuild the squad completely.
Agree but I am worried that the VFL hierarchy will force the club to trade our early picks for established players to buy some short term success. I hope I am wrong as it would be another nail in the coffin.

Agree but I am worried that the VFL hierarchy will force the club to trade our early picks for established players to buy some short term success. I hope I am wrong as it would be another nail in the coffin.

I would be really concerned about the Suns doing this.

Unfortunately the Weller trade telegraphs that Evans, who made the promise and forced a bad trade, doesn't have a great read on where the list was at and only set us back further.

Hopefully someone in the Suns hierarchy will have the foresight to stand up to the VFL and tell them that we need to rebuild the right way.

The only saving grace is that we are so on the nose right now that we couldn't even attract any players to consider coming here that would be worthy of a top 30 pick, even if the VFL wanted us to do so.

I don't have problem with short term success , but the problem will always be players coming in are not actually want to help the club but just treat it as their retirement savings. Get a few mature state league players that never selected by AFL club before mix with Top rated first round , second round pick and really reset the culture , Weller look like a crap deal and more like a retirement fund for him also. I can only see players just try to collect they money each season until been trade out or delist .(going through motion). Eagles will go hard at Martin and Ah Chee next year when their contract end .

Good to see a youngster thinking about their retirement so early
Well he got to , look at marverick . 4 year security with 200k more than staying at Fremantle for maybe 2 or three year deal .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns are in total rebuild mode.
CEO
Footy dept boss
List Manager
Head Coach

Next
Assistant Coaches
Players

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This.

The Suns are well into a rebuild having shed 32 players since 2014 and some of the 31 brought in have even been delisted. More will go this year and fresh players will come in. You have to rebuild through the Draft and with 7 picks the Suns are in prime position to go hard in the Trade/Draft period to load up again. There are some really promising Academy players coming through and the 1st and 2nd year players on the list have it all in front of them as far as potential and growth goes.

I haven't watched today's game and probably won't, but the signs are there that a win isn't far away. I don't recall the last time the Suns won without Thompson and Day, so it should be recognised that the backline is essentially B-Grade with Kolodjashnij and Hanley also missing. Leslie has blossomed in May's absence and will have a good run down back to show his value. Is looks like the midfield more than held their own except the Hawks gathered more possessions and got the ball forward to keep it the wrong side of halfway for extended periods.

The NEAFL side had a reasonable game against a top ranked opponent, with several players pushing for Senior selection. Crossley had leather poisoning and the 2016 Draftees all showed class. When the Allies-tied players come in and the injury list looks better, the NEAFL team will win a lot more games and provide some competition for listed players knocking on the door for a senior game. Kolo and Lonergan are 2 who played today that could bring a bit of experience to the senior side in the next few games - their contracts may well depend on staying injury free.

I am reasonably happy with effort today considering our situation, injury list. Hawks were missing just 2-3 best 22 and looked ordinary. If they make finals they will do no damage. Lynch would be stupid to join them if he decides to leave.

1QTR was really great, good ball movement, pressure, nice marks. Suns had Hawks on ropes, should be ahead by 3-4 goals at least. Unfortunately, some easy misses and as usual Suns let Hawks score just before siren (and again before half time).

From 2QTR Hawks adjusted, lifted pressure and Suns disposal went as again downhill, plenty of turnovers, some terrible kicks.

There were 3 consecutive very easy goal misses in the middle of 3QTR that would bring us to single margin. It was quite funny to see Dew’s face in disbelieve.

Dawson had a great start, in second half I did not see much of him. I thinks he will be great in 2-3 years.

Schoenfeld produced another decent game.

Leslie again surprised me with his marking.

I thought Day did decent job in defense until injured.

It was great to see Wright back and not far off good form but that miss in front of goal was terrible.

Good to see that we improved our midfield structures and actually won clearances.

Will dawson hold his spot?
All debutants seem to get at least 3 games under Dew :)
Most Debutants get a run of games at the Suns full stop. Dawson played some roles today that will show up on film. He is usually an accumulator in the NEAFL, but wasn't used in that capacity today. He is a very useful player and did better on debut than most of the other debutants this season. In a year where I didn't think any of the new recruits would get a senior game, injuries have forced the club into blooding players and they haven't sent a debutant back to NEAFL without a confidence building run yet.

I was reasonably satisfied with the effort. Unlike previous quarters where we didn't score, we actually had chances to score IMO. We never play well in Tassie and that was about the margin I had us at.

2MP up forward certainly helps us quite a lot. He should have finished with 4 goals!

Stoked to win the clearances against a team with elite clearance players (Mitchell and O'Meara).

Thought Dawson acquitted himself well. Didn't notice him as much in the second half.

Hopefully Day injury isn't too bad.

Once again another frustrating afternoon watching the Suns.
Our first quarter was as good as we could hope, moving the ball quickly hitting targets looking positive
in every thing we did.
Then half way through the 2nd quarter things started to once again fall apart, whether it was Hawthorn
changing there game plan which upset our ball movement or just lack of confidence I am not sure ,but at half time
the writing was on the wall.
To not kick a goal in 2 quarters of football is not exceptable in my eyes .

POSITIVES
Lynch and Wright looked genuinely dangerous up forward just didn't get enough opportunities.
First Quarter was good (unfortunately game goes for four)
Leslie continues to show good signs.
Dawson also showed good signs ,probably a year or two away but could become a decent small defender in time..

NEGATIVES
Inability to play anywhere near four quarters of solid football, until we do cannot expect to win any games.
We have so many 15 minute footballers guys like Sexton Ah Chee Lemmens Weller even Martin who look good for short
spells and then just totally drift out of games for long periods ,reason don't know.
Inability to convert easy shots at goal (Hawthorn just as bad) professional footballers earning massive money cannot
convert on a regular basis from 20 to 30 metres simply not good enough.
Without May in defence we have not one player capable of kicking the ball with any distance out of defence.
Joyce and Harbrow have no penetration when kicking from the goal square.
Jarred Witts is an honest toiler who wins a few hit outs but that's about it ,one kick no marks no scoreboard pressure.
I for one am not happy with a 53 point loss against a middle of the road team we need to perform better than that.
Next week we meet an in form Collingwood a team we all have hated since we were born , we will need to play
good four quarters or it will get ugly.

On a side note was really pleased with our NEAFL team of kids who showed tremendous heart to get so close
to a much bigger and more experienced opponent .
Four guys showed good form Crossley Brodie Scheer And Scrimshaw all ready if needed.
The rest along way off at this stage .
Enjoy your weekend .

Once again another frustrating afternoon watching the Suns.
On a side note was really pleased with our NEAFL team of kids who showed tremendous heart to get so close
to a much bigger and more experienced opponent .
Four guys showed good form Crossley Brodie Scheer And Scrimshaw all ready if needed.
The rest along way off at this stage .
Enjoy your weekend .
Did KK and Lonergan survive the game? I watched only 1st qtr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back