Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
You don't want to gamble on a 21 year old key position player's knee though. Luko is going to massive over the next 4 years, should keep eyes on the big picture. But if a game is a game with the same risk, I agree, straight into the afl

Remember what happened to Jaeger when we played it safe in the ressies!

kreglze

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

We are talking about the painfully close loss to Port Adelaide this past weekend. Despite the loss, we are feeling positive about the performance. Ainsworth, Rankine and Witts having great games, some of the strategy employed by both coaches during the game, as well as what Ballard should have done?

We get into our 3,2,1's as well as look forward to the massive game against Collingwood this weekend.

Thanks for listening,

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bloody Tigers can't build free agents properly.
"A lot of people were saying I could come here and just walk in and play, but I knew I had to earn the respect and knew I had to work really hard to show the football club what I've got," Chol said.
"I'm super glad I've been able to perform the way I have.
"Credit to the fitness staff who have put me in a position to perform consistently.
"I had to work a lot on my fitness, it's something I've probably lacked in the past.
"Personally I've got a lot of work to do this off-season coming up."

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bloody Tigers can't build free agents properly.

What's interesting is his preseason this year wasn't even close to ideal. He was in Melbourne until late November when he flew up and spent two weeks in hotel isolation where all he had to work out on was a treadmill. Then he gets maybe a week to get to know the boys and train with them before the Christmas break. He wouldn't have gotten any significant training done until mid-late January and our first preseason match was in late February so he probably had just over a month of proper preseason training under his belt before he began playing matches. Imagine what he could do if you gave him a proper 3-4 month preseason training block!

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What's interesting is his preseason this year wasn't even close to ideal. He was in Melbourne until late November when he flew up and spent two weeks in hotel isolation where all he had to work out on was a treadmill. Then he gets maybe a week to get to know the boys and train with them before the Christmas break. He wouldn't have gotten any significant training done until mid-late January and our first preseason match was in late February so he probably had just over a month of proper preseason training under his belt before he began playing matches. Imagine what he could do if you gave him a proper 3-4 month preseason training block!
He is only on ground 75% game time
Rucking 15%
Therefore only spending 60% game time forward and yet still managed to be an excellent source of goals.

Would love to boost his time on ground as a forward by another 10-15% if possible.

Probably takes him from a 40-45 goal season to 50+ goal season

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He is only on ground 75% game time
Rucking 15%
Therefore only spending 60% game time forward and yet still managed to be an excellent source of goals.

Would love to boost his time on ground as a forward by another 10-15% if possible.

Probably takes him from a 40-45 goal season to 50+ goal season
I remember one of the observations that was made on this board when we recruited Chol was that he was averaging just over 50% game time at Richmond so to jumping up to 75% game time during an interrupted preseason is pretty impressive. Hopefully we can get him up to 80%+ next year and beyond. Can't wait to see what Chol achieves in the red and gold and he's only 25 so we've got many years of Mabior to come!

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We all figured something was up with leggy.

Back to His best, a lot leaner this season

Agree that someone like Oleg probably plays best when playing with instinct.
A little like Izak.
Getting overly worried about structures and rules takes away his strengths.
You need those flair players that do the unexpected and break the game open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns Soldier

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2017
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There is a time and place though for flair. You also have to be a selfless team player and have the basics down pat. I think this is what Izak has been working on.
Agree that someone like Oleg probably plays best when playing with instinct.
A little like Izak.
Getting overly worried about structures and rules takes away his strengths.
You need those flair players that do the unexpected and break the game open.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Good on him.
I thought he actually did a number of good things in his time on ground.

4 direct acts leading to scoring chances.

1. Kicked a goal.
2. Good little handball to rankine for a goal.
3. Good collect on boundary and quick decision and excellent execution to inboard chip to Anderson for set shot on goal.
4. Run down holding the ball tackle.

100% disposal efficiency.
14 pressure acts in 57 mins of play is also well above average for a small forward.

Ben Drever

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those interested, some good stuff from King about Suns vs Collingwood game on First Crack.

They showed 5 umpires calls/no calls going against Suns at the end. Were Suns robbed? :) Also nice highlights on Rankine and Rowell.

On fox?
Obv been lurking around our BF board 🤣

Maybe Tomorrow

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
For those interested, some good stuff from King about Suns vs Collingwood game on First Crack.

They showed 5 umpires calls/no calls going against Suns at the end. Were Suns robbed? :) Also nice highlights on Rankine and Rowell.
That was straight up thievery in the last few mins. One bad call, ok fine the umps makes mistakes, but there were so many in such a short time.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad