Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great inside views of Suns by Dew, interviewed by Boswell - 40 min video is part of article.
Here is excerpt on salary cap.

How Stuart Dew and the Gold Coast Suns helped change the club’s AFL fortunes​

“(The cap) was under enormous pressure, particularly for where we were on the ladder (17th in both 2017 and 2018),” Dew said.

“That can take anywhere between two and four years to correct and get it to a position where you are comfortable with where your risk is, where you’re carrying the most weight.

“That is so important to get right. We have made calls where people might scratch their heads but at the end of the day it has been about the salary cap as much as on-field as well.

“At times we have had to find people who do the same thing for a little bit less to try and balance the books. We feel we have it now into a position where most footy clubs are.

“The more you win the more you can go to players and say ‘look if we stay together, if you take a little bit less’ they can see light at the end of the tunnel.

“I feel like the characters we have got here, we have been able to get some guys to make some small sacrifices to keep people in the door.

“That is across the board. That was players coming in, some senior players that were here but also some younger players who understand too. There is a maturity with that group regardless of age who understand.”

In the interview Boswell asked specifically about Hollands as fans always ask :)

Interestingly, Dew considers him as a midfielder as he mentioned that he is currently behind Miller, Swallow, Anderson, Rowell who are all delivering. That's why Suns are also developing him as HF, wing, HB. According to Dew Hollands is doing well, for sure opportunity is not far away, not bad thing to be developing in VFL.

Now, he’s much closer to his family. They drive from Brisbane every second week when the Suns play at home. He hasn’t missed a game for his new club (and has kicked at least a goal in every game) and to top it off he can walk down the street without anyone recognising him. Big Daddy is home.

“I think that’s why I’m playing some really good footy, just being able to see my family all the time,” Chol told The Ageas he made his way into the club for a captain’s run, ahead of Saturday night’s clash with his old team.
“There’s some good weather up here as well,” he said with a chuckle as he reflected on the gloomy Melbourne winters and the chilly training sessions at Punt Road.

Chol has always been a chiller. In fact, some coaches and teammates quipped this week that he’s so relaxed sometimes they wonder if he’s asleep.

But as for the role of being a mentor, there is no sleeping on the job. Players such as Izak Rankine, Joel Jeffrey and Chol’s fellow South Sudanese teammate Mac Andrew are all cubs under the former Tiger’s care.

“For my younger siblings, they’ve always looked up to me,” he said. “So, coming to such a young football club, it just felt like home. It felt normal for me to be there for some of the guys to look up to me. It felt like a natural place for me to be, there wasn’t a lot of pressure ... it just felt like I was talking to my younger siblings.

“Somehow I feel like I’ve become a bit of a mentor around the football club. Young Mac Andrew, I’ve worked really closely with him and we do gel a fair bit, especially coming from a similar background.”

“Obviously, Melbourne is a place where you can’t really get away from football because everyone is so passionate about their footy. The AFL does demand a lot and you’re not always going to play perfect football,” he said.

“When I was down at Richmond, I was probably struggling a bit, just because you’re not playing footy well and not getting the opportunity. But since I’ve been here I’ve just been in a clear mindset.

“Personally, my happiness has just taken care of everything else.”

This is the most significant part of the article IMO. The footy bubble that is Melbourne isn't for everyone and Chol has really thrived since leaving that intense environment. The lifestyle factor will become a big plus for our recruiting team in the future.

For sure he has some exciting traits. By his own admission, he needs a big pre-season.
He’s top 10 in goal kicking across the comp (equal with Fritsch and Franklin) and leading our club comfortably. Kicked a goal a game. Can’t ask a lot more from a developing forward.

Noticed he’s done next to no rucking the last few weeks though. So yeah, maybe general fitness could improve. Still, looks like one of the best pick ups we’ve had (especially considering what we gave up for him) with a lot of upside still to come. Go Chol!

He’s top 10 in goal kicking across the comp (equal with Fritsch and Franklin) and leading our club comfortably. Kicked a goal a game. Can’t ask a lot more from a developing forward.

Noticed he’s done next to no rucking the last few weeks though. So yeah, maybe general fitness could improve. Still, looks like one of the best pick ups we’ve had (especially considering what we gave up for him) with a lot of upside still to come. Go Chol!
Remember when people were saying we overpaid and overcommitted by giving Chol a 4 year deal on $350-400k? Looks like an absolute masterstroke right now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guys on First Crack are saying we're the most likely to play finals of all teams currently outside the top 8...

Are the Melbourne media actually starting to believe we can do it?

Shai Bolton one of Chol’s closest mates…

Hello hello.. take this blank cheque and write a number on it

Melb media can’t get enough of the Suns.

All the sudden it’s Suns news sells and gets everyone’s attention

Barrett has really changed his opinion on the Suns. He has been so more positive. It has been a massive swing.

And we didn’t even need cocaine golf days, arrests in Thailand, broken teammate’s jaws or sacked coaches to do it!!!

The team has shown that this year they are different.

A % over 100, good wins against top 8 teams, hard fought losses against good teams, and a 4-1 record against bottom 6 teams.

Should expect some more positive media commentary, the on-field has been much much better.

Actually looking forward to the day where there is whinging and moaning about priority picks (not fair), access to Darwin players (not fair), AFL cash (too much), ambassador money (not in the cap, and we can't get them to come home), and the slippery home ground advantage since that means we are strong finals contenders. Bring it on, %*@)heads.

Dew on SEN this morning. It looks like HB is the target this off-season. Rankine announcement this week?

Last edited:
Great video clip included in the article.
MAKE no mistake about it – this one meant a lot to Tony Cochrane.
No one on the Gold Coast was celebrating the Suns’ emphatic after-the-siren win over Richmond harder than the club chairman.

Footage captured from the chairman’s lounge at Metricon Stadium showed Cochrane channelling his inner Mick Jagger, dancing around gleefully as Noah Anderson’s match-winning kick sailed through the goals to gift the Suns’ the most unlikely of victories.
01a5cae6be16d31cdcd30672156d9287

Barrett has really changed his opinion on the Suns. He has been so more positive. It has been a massive swing.
He seems to really like Dew.

Barrett's been waiting for the Suns to improve for a few years to talk them up imo. Just needed performance on the field give him an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back