Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also offtopic, but kinda on theme. GWS have started up a junior club in North Brunswick, VIC! Given I live in South Brunswick, who can I talk to at the Suns to get a rival juniors club in my 'hood to oppose them? I come with Will Ferrell style coaching skills and have a 6 year old daughter on the waiting list to go to Princes Hill High, which means she'll be in Carlton's effing zone. I would rather have her hobbled than play for bloody Carlton (not really).
The Giants also have clubs in London and Croatia! Suns have to get on this juggernaut. Carlton also have funding for free Auskick through their JFC. I would also consider a 12 year scholarship and a house in the Currumbin Eco-village in return for a 2030 draft spot in the AFLW for the Suns.
drop Mark Evans a line

Also offtopic, but kinda on theme. GWS have started up a junior club in North Brunswick, VIC! Given I live in South Brunswick, who can I talk to at the Suns to get a rival juniors club in my 'hood to oppose them? I come with Will Ferrell style coaching skills and have a 6 year old daughter on the waiting list to go to Princes Hill High, which means she'll be in Carlton's effing zone. I would rather have her hobbled than play for bloody Carlton (not really).
The Giants also have clubs in London and Croatia! Suns have to get on this juggernaut. Carlton also have funding for free Auskick through their JFC. I would also consider a 12 year scholarship and a house in the Currumbin Eco-village in return for a 2030 draft spot in the AFLW for the Suns.
There’s a few suns teams around the world, couple in vic aswell

Thanks again for the background information. You must find stories like this one amusing - How Suns stole 13yo WA star. The article seems to imply the Suns coaxed yourself and your family into moving to the other side of the country in order to 'steal' him from WA. No mention of the fact that his mother was a PBC graduate or that her were based on the Gold Coast, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story haha.

The family connection to the PBC Lions through his grandfather makes the story even better. It's always cool to hear stories about GC footy family connections like Rory Thompson's father or Brayden Crossley's dad.

Sounds like you weren't a bad player yourself back in the day. Ever thought about coaching some juniors on the Gold Coast? That is, if you haven't already.
Matchu - you should be a 60 minutes reporter - always coming up with more searching questions - this will be a final response.

You'd know many of my posts are critical of the Melbourne Media and its attitude to the Suns.
The article above probably set my paranoia in this regard.
That story was not accurate, we were not consulted , it contained quotes from 3 different (aged) published articles and it interviews a person who only generally knows us (not his fault , he said good things , was trying to help).
But we were not amused....

Regards the other - only an average country footballer - not a coach. Was team runner for PBC junior teams during Brads time and for PBC Reserves last two years. Getting slower - so confined to the Grandstands and Big Footy posts from hereon .

Think that 60 Minutes clock just ran out.

Matchu - you should be a 60 minutes reporter - always coming up with more searching questions - this will be a final response.

You'd know many of my posts are critical of the Melbourne Media and its attitude to the Suns.
The article above probably set my paranoia in this regard.
That story was not accurate, we were not consulted , it contained quotes from 3 different (aged) published articles and it interviews a person who only generally knows us (not his fault , he said good things , was trying to help).
But we were not amused....

Regards the other - only an average country footballer - not a coach. Was team runner for PBC junior teams during Brads time and for PBC Reserves last two years. Getting slower - so confined to the Grandstands and Big Footy posts from hereon .

Think that 60 Minutes clock just ran out.
I appreciate the peek behind the curtain you've provided us. All the best for your son and try not to take any criticism on here too personally.

Spotted on the weekend while watching aflw on tv, there is a suns team right in the heart of gws territory.. the Blacktown suns
There is also the Balgowlah Suns on Sydney’s Nth shore, our club plays them and it would be fair to say their coach and I don’t get on.

I love how Kane Cornes just makes a couple of random throwaway comments that have no actual bearing on Jack Martin's play or form, then it gets turned into an article. The final paragraph even shows how bored the Journo with the assignment where he says "He averaged 18.6 disposals at 73.9 per cent efficiency, 6.3 marks and just over a goal a game last year, finishing third in the club’s best-and-fairest voting" which isn't incredible, but nonetheless very good stats for a small forward. If all 4 Suns small forwards scored 24 goals a seasons the team would be on track for finals. Thinking of the Suns forward line and how many goals it has in it makes me wonder how these journalists get paid.

So I read on Fox that we are the favorites for the wooden spoon. Rubbish. I don't think we make finals but I don't see the wooden spoon that's for damn sure. I got faith that Dew will have our boys playing tough, competitive footy.
The only time the Suns got the wooden spoon was in their first year, when it was expected by everyone. In fact, just as the Tigers seemed to have a mortgage on 9th, the Suns are most likely to come 17th. We are afterall the GC Seventeeners!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to jack Martin he with the amount of injures we had the coach played him all over the place the last couple of years so couldn’t really lock down one position
Cornes “He’s not a young man anymore“. Huh he’s 23. Even in a football sense he’s two seasons away from entering into his prime. I’m convinced that premiership player / failed fireman Cornes is an imbecile.
That said we need to start playing Jack more through the midfield to give him experience and us some class.

Cornes “He’s not a young man anymore“. Huh he’s 23. Even in a football sense he’s two seasons away from entering into his prime. I’m convinced that premiership player / failed fireman Cornes is an imbecile.
That said we need to start playing Jack more through the midfield to give him experience and us some class.
Considering he was picked a year early and got injured 5 minutes into his AFL debut, you can see why people think he's been around for a lot longer than he really has. I'd rate him in our top 5 players and he hasn't reached his potential yet. We know what Swallow, May, Lynch and the other veterans can do, but Martin is still in the brigade of young blokes with their best footy ahead.
I would compare Jack Martin to Simon Black, except the Suns midfield isn't as tough as the Lions were when Black came through and Martin's coaching hasn't been anywhere approaching elite. They do have similar measurements though and even if the game has changed and their styles are different, I see Martin as having the potential to be elite. If Martin can show the same sort of anticipation as Black, his speed and skills would put him in space with the ball and with the right kind of shepherding and support from his team mates he could be anything.

Travesty that Ablett won the B+F over Jack last year
Yes, the way the Suns calculate the Club Champion is weird - "five coaches giving an undetermined number of players a ranking from zero to five after each match. Players can receive a maximum of 25 votes for a game." Based on Brownlow votes, Ablett would have polled highly against the Hawks twice, Carlton, Norf twice and Collingwood. In that system, the majority of those points would have come in those six games. Jack Martin and David Swallow earned their points over the season, but Lynch would have taken another gong if he hadn't missed the end of the season through injury. Good to see Jack cracking the Top 3, which has pretty much been dominated by Ablett, Swallow and Lynch. Hall was up there, and so was Lyons. A different system, such as Essendon's, gives every player a ranking, so instead of 126 winning it, you've gotta play almost every game and poll over 400 votes to have a hope of winning.

I try to avoid subjectivity when it comes to these things and just present facts. The fact of the matter is Somerset had the highest percentage of students achieve OPs in the 1-5 range on the Gold Coast in 2017. All Saints was second.

So anyway IvaBigun and Matchu I was just reading how a number of these private schools that find their way onto these League Tables that you mention get there by only encouraging their best students to obtain OPs. Courier Mail.
Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.

The more I’ve read about this today the more convinced I am that you look at either the selective Public High School Queensland Health Sciences Academy or your local High School Merrimac.
These private schools will actually put kids second and Only ensure the very best get an OP only because they want to chest beat about the easily manipulated League Tables.
That aside-there is also the very backward attitudes as exposed by our Captain Steven May in last weekends press.
Add to that all the sick stuff that’s been exposed recently that goes on in the Elite Colleges at University which all comes from that mentality.
Yep Iva-send to the Public, save the money, your kids will actually win out and be better.
Just look at 17er and MrBods we are both well rounded and pretty amazing ha ha.

Last edited:
So anyway IvaBigun and Matchu I was just reading how a number of these private schools that find their way onto these League Tables that you mention get there by only encouraging their best students to obtain OPs. Courier Mail.
Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.
There is absolutely no denying the fact that private schools will encourage children that aren't expected to obtain a good OP to not go down that route. But ultimately, they can't prevent a child from pursuing an OP if that's what they want to do. I have seen that first hand many times. I have also seen many students expelled as a result of under performing academically.

Private schools often hang their hats on their yearly academic performances and that's how they sell the school to the parents so it's not surprising that they look to optimise it in any way possible. Having said all that, the percentage of the 2017 cohort that achieved an OP in the 1-5 range at a school like Somerset SHOULD be higher than your average state school. I don't have the statistics on hand to back that up but that would be my expectation.

There is absolutely no denying the fact that private schools will encourage children that aren't expected to obtain a good OP to not go down that route. But ultimately, they can't prevent a child from pursuing an OP if that's what they want to do. I have seen that first hand many times. I have also seen many students expelled as a result of under performing academically.

Private schools often hang their hats on their yearly academic performances and that's how they sell the school to the parents so it's not surprising that they look to optimise it in any way possible. Having said all that, the percentage of the 2017 cohort that achieved an OP in the 1-5 range at a school like Somerset SHOULD be higher than your average state school. I don't have the statistics on hand to back that up but that would be my expectation.

Holy Mackeral Matchu-expelled for not performing academically.
I didn’t know that went on.
Expelled for being a twat, being a bully, poor attendance absolutely.
But expelled for underperforming-wow.
Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back