Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Call , make top 8 > top 10 draft pick .
Bob Murphy is an astute judge. The guy has been writing very good copy for a long time, which is remarkable considering he only just retired. He is not just another footy player with a cushy newspaper column.

Rodney Eade was an amazing Reserve Grade coach. The picture in the article of big Alex Ishenko and little Alistair Clarkson is from the Reserves GF side coached by Rocket a few years after he coached the mighty Bears to a rezzies GF win in 1991 (same year as 1st grade copped the spoon) with a side that featured Shaun Hart and Alex Ishenko, with Andy Lovell playing in the losing Demons side.

Rainy day not a worry for Suns

Samuel Davis, AFL, The Cairns Post
March 16, 2018 6:00am
Subscriber only

A “SOUPY” start to the preseason has Gold Coast Suns CEO Mark Evans quietly bullish about his side’s chances of beating North Melbourne in round one as the club’s post-Gary Ablett era starts in Cairns later this month.

The Suns kicked off the year in the best possible way, comfortably beating Geelong in windy conditions in Townsville before toppling key rivals Brisbane in inhospitable weather at Southport last weekend.

With rain forecast for Cairns much of next week, Evans said wild weather would work in his side’s favour, before noting they didn’t necessarily need the help.

“The best planning might have been where we scheduled our preseason games,” Evans said, laughing.

“We’ve played in some pretty soupy conditions so far. Either way (the weather goes), we think no matter what the conditions are they’ll probably favour the Queensland team.”

The Suns’ brass attended the AFL’s season launch this week, with league CEO Gillon McLachlan highlighting Richmond’s remarkable premiership win after finishing 13th in 2016.

Evans said McLachlan’s speech resonated with the Suns, who believe their club is capable of being the surprise packet of the competition.

“Every year you always want to achieve something special. We’ve had a very good summer. I think people will start to realise that this is a family culture that we’re building and (our new coach) Stewart Dew is a great connector.”

The AFL has earmarked Queensland as an area of focus with participation and interest rising.

“Our growth agenda is clear – kids, women and families, NSW and Queensland,” McLachlan said this week.

“The hunger and commitment is there from all 18 clubs – to grow their supporter bases, to introduce more Australians to our game.”

Evans said Cairns has a special opportunity to be part of that growth by hosting a match during the league’s blockbuster opening round.

“The opportunity to have a homecoming for two of our players in Jarrod Harbrow and Jack Bowes; I think for Cairns to have that kind of billing is outstanding.

“Gillon McLachlan has said he’d like to break attendance records for round one and we know the AFL is looking for around 400,000 fans to attend games (in that round).

“We’d hope for a crowd of 10,000 at Cazalys against North Melbourne, in line with previous matches held there.”

The match will be played on Saturday, March 24 at Cazalys Stadium. First bounce is 6.25pm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This would be great for us. Improved competition for the reserves team is really needed. Can't have Macpherson getting 40 touches then playing AFL and getting 5.
Exactly.. means more travel, more cost to running the team and more players on the list surely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would be great for us. Improved competition for the reserves team is really needed. Can't have Macpherson getting 40 touches then playing AFL and getting 5.
It would mean we would get greater development out of players if the are playing afl level opponents week in week out. Playing against AFL structured defenses and plans. None of this NEAFL crap

Bob Murphy is an astute judge. The guy has been writing very good copy for a long time, which is remarkable considering he only just retired. He is not just another footy player with a cushy newspaper column.
He’s a pleasant change in the commentary box as well. Better than having to listen to the repeat drivel from the usual culprits. Would love to see us in the eight come September but my head tells me our draw will count against us.

I'd say that move would kill the NEAFL and we'd go back to the old QAFL (with the NT Thunder), Sydney AFL and Canberra AFL competitions. Which means a return to the good old days where Southport dominate and every Gold Coast junior switches to the Sharks at around 15 years of age.

That's probably a good outcome for the Suns and their academy.
TBH i don't think this will work well , do people really switch on the TV to watch reserve league before or after a match where the senior side play.

TBH i don't think this will work well , do people really switch on the TV to watch reserve league before or after a match where the senior side play.
I wont be rushing to the game earlier to watch it live either. Life is too busy as it is and with at least an hour of public transport on game day i dont have time to watch kids play everyweek. They will probably still finish about 90 minutes before seniors aswell so wont even catch the last qtr.

I wont be rushing to the game earlier to watch it live either. Life is too busy as it is and with at least an hour of public transport on game day i dont have time to watch kids play everyweek. They will probably still finish about 90 minutes before seniors aswell so wont even catch the last qtr.
That want i am thinking , flying 44 healthy players to interstate already a problem , how many players you need if injuries strike . I think with the current 4 emergency rule there is high possibility of AFLX league rather than reserve league ( shorter time and players limit ) .

If the NEAFL can live steam surely this would be on TV. The VFL, SANFL and WAFL all are on TV and do pretty well i think.
Consider GC problem with injuries i am not sure about national reserve league .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back