Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was growing up in the 80s the VFL started to expand into Sydney and then Perth and the Gold Coast, before bringing Adelaide, Fremantle and Brisbane. They tried to expand the reserves comp to match the AFL's expansion, but the parlous finances of clubs meant that keeping 50 plus players on the books was too expensive, so by the end of the 90s they shut the reserves comp down. The immediate benefit for state leagues was that AFL listed players competed each week alongside part-timers, but in 20 seasons there has been a lot of uncertainty and experimentation. The VFL in its current form is actually a merger of the old VFA and the former Reserves comp, so bringing back AFL Reserves will mean restructuring the VFL without AFL affiliation or competing clubs, which will be a difficult process because it means that the 3rd tier comp in Victoria will really struggle for relevance. Other State Leagues will thrive regardless, especially with growing participation.

Will AFL Reserves allow Academy guys, and maybe top-up players from State League clubs, or will all players need t be on an AFL list? If so, the case for a mid year trade and drat period would be very strong. The old VFL/AFL also had an Under 19s, but you'd expect that the VIC, SA and WA Clubs will just leave the juniors to the traditional clubs, so perhaps the NEAFL will continue in some form like an Under-age comp leading up to the TAC Cup.

Time was when lists had super young rookies and club veterans who'd spent most of their careers in the Reserves. Michael Tuck played 55 games in Reserves and still managed to break Kevin Bartlett's Senior games record. Mark "I'm an individual" Jackson kicked a ton in Reserves behind Michael Roach at Richmond in 1980 when they won the flag and left because he couldn't get a game. The Tigers brought in Brian Taylor and he kicked a ton in Reserves as well in 1981 despite playing 5 Seniors games, then after 95 games at the Tigers, 42 of which were Reserves, he defected to Collingwood.

A return to AFL Reserves would potentially extend the careers of AFL players. Take Nick Holman as an example at Carlton, who you'd imagine would have stashed the youngster in Reserves until he showed some polish if they had another 10 list spots. Andrew Swallow might have been a recruit specifically brought in to play another season or two in Reserves, potentially making his wish of playing a game with his brother come true - even the Danihers only got to play 1 game together and that never would have happened if there was no Reserves because would have been dropped off their list years earlier having only played 16 Senior games between 1982 and 1990. And who could forget Warwick Capper in his pink shoes at Carrara getting booed because he couldn't even kick a goal in Reserves despite being on the highest salary in the AFL?

Family factor to help steer the Suns in 2018

Gold Coast Bulletin
March 16, 2018 9:24pm

THE Gold Coast Suns playing group have decided on one key pillar for 2018 – family.

It’s something the club’s first ever draft pick and new father David Swallow is becoming increasingly familiar with following the arrival of son Charlie last month.

The midfielder was presented his 2018 playing guernsey – something the playing group hadn’t done since their debut - by Charlie and brother and former North Melbourne captain Andrew and yesterday.

He was one of a number of players to have friends, family, representatives from local footy clubs and Suns staff to present jumpers to the list.

“It was really nice and something the club hasn’t done in the past so for that to happen was really special,” Swallow said of the surprise.

“We are really building towards becoming a really close family unit and club. We have had a strong preseason with (new coach) Stuey (Dew) and it’s going to be about that continual growth. We will continue to bring it back to that family aspect and hopefully that can take us far.”

Andrew, a father himself, played 224 games for the Kangaroos before retiring at the end of last year and moved up to Byron Bay with partner Elise to be closer to his brother to provide support and help the Suns midfielder.

David said his family’s presence has been the missing link he needed while Andrew believed his move would help his younger brother gain the perspective and balance that could make him an even better player.

“Footy is such a hard game and the Gold Coast Suns are a new club in a new market up here,” Andrew Swallow said.

“Everything they are doing is a first so they have to work really hard to establish themselves and build something special.

“Having kids puts things into perspective and it’s about family and building relationships. The more they can do that the quicker they will build and grow and become a really successful club we know they can be.”

Last year Gold Coast pinned their hopes on belief with chairman Tony Cochrane pointing to John F. Kennedy’s 1962 Rice Moon speech convincing the U.S they would be the first on the moon.

Cochrane said this year the theme was even harder to live up to.

“We are going to be an aspirational group,” Cochrane said.

“We are going to achieve, and we are going to do it together.”

Dew’s message for his players was simple, the time for talk was over.

“I have talked for five months, now is the time for action,” Dew said.

“We are going to win together and lose together. Good footy clubs keep a level playing field, win or lose you maintain that consistency. The other part is to enjoy the challenge.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Family factor to help steer the Suns in 2018

Gold Coast Bulletin
March 16, 2018 9:24pm

THE Gold Coast Suns playing group have decided on one key pillar for 2018 – family.

It’s something the club’s first ever draft pick and new father David Swallow is becoming increasingly familiar with following the arrival of son Charlie last month.

The midfielder was presented his 2018 playing guernsey – something the playing group hadn’t done since their debut - by Charlie and brother and former North Melbourne captain Andrew and yesterday.

He was one of a number of players to have friends, family, representatives from local footy clubs and Suns staff to present jumpers to the list.

“It was really nice and something the club hasn’t done in the past so for that to happen was really special,” Swallow said of the surprise.

“We are really building towards becoming a really close family unit and club. We have had a strong preseason with (new coach) Stuey (Dew) and it’s going to be about that continual growth. We will continue to bring it back to that family aspect and hopefully that can take us far.”

Andrew, a father himself, played 224 games for the Kangaroos before retiring at the end of last year and moved up to Byron Bay with partner Elise to be closer to his brother to provide support and help the Suns midfielder.

David said his family’s presence has been the missing link he needed while Andrew believed his move would help his younger brother gain the perspective and balance that could make him an even better player.

“Footy is such a hard game and the Gold Coast Suns are a new club in a new market up here,” Andrew Swallow said.

“Everything they are doing is a first so they have to work really hard to establish themselves and build something special.

“Having kids puts things into perspective and it’s about family and building relationships. The more they can do that the quicker they will build and grow and become a really successful club we know they can be.”

Last year Gold Coast pinned their hopes on belief with chairman Tony Cochrane pointing to John F. Kennedy’s 1962 Rice Moon speech convincing the U.S they would be the first on the moon.

Cochrane said this year the theme was even harder to live up to.

“We are going to be an aspirational group,” Cochrane said.

“We are going to achieve, and we are going to do it together.”

Dew’s message for his players was simple, the time for talk was over.

“I have talked for five months, now is the time for action,” Dew said.

“We are going to win together and lose together. Good footy clubs keep a level playing field, win or lose you maintain that consistency. The other part is to enjoy the challenge.”

Wish I could like this article 10 times. Love the unity we are building, which was evident in the family night for draftees the other week

Reminds me alot of when sanderson joined the crows. I believe we will have that burst where we win games this year purely due to our cohesion i doubt its enough to make finals but we should be conpetitive week in and week out.

GC-2.jpg

Charlie Ballard: A tall midfielder whose strength overhead and dash was eye-catching on the wing for South Australia in last year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Still very skinny and will spend most of the season in the NEAFL as he gets stronger.

Michael Barlow: Broke his leg in round 13 last year but recovered well and has completed the entire pre-season. Barlow is a clever footballer that can mix time between the midfield and forward but faces a challenge to win a regular spot.

Will Brodie: Has a strong body and loves winning the contested ball. Brodie played three games in his first year and already looks to have taken a step forward with two strong showings in the JLT Series.

Brayden Crossley: A Suns Academy graduate, Crossley is an aggressive ruckman who mixes skill with passion. Firmly behind Jarrod Witts and Tom Nicholls in the pecking order, but with some improvement in his marking and work around the ground, should progress quickly.

Jacob Dawson: An inside midfielder with good hands in tight, Dawson excelled in a head-to-head battle with GWS bull Jacob Hopper at the end of the last NEAFL season.

Brayden Fiorini: Like Brodie, Fiorini has made a big leap forward physically in the pre-season. The 20-year-old is noticeably stronger and with his ball-winning ability and clever kicking, should push for a regular spot this year.

Aaron Hall: Broke his finger in the final JLT game against Brisbane and will miss the opening round or two. Hall has defensive deficiencies in his game that he is ironing out, and his leg speed from stoppages and thumping right boot add so much to Gold Coast's midfield.

Jacob Heron: A lightning quick small forward, Heron loves to exert defensive pressure. Moved from Cairns to the Gold Coast last year to join the Academy and excelled in a NEAFL elimination final.

Jesse Lonergan: About to start his sixth season, Lonergan is a midfielder the Suns need more from. Injuries have previously hindered the 23-year-old, but he's had a strong pre-season and should push for an inside role.

Jarryd Lyons: After a slow start, fitted in beautifully in his first season with Gold Coast and should again be a driving force in 2018. Excellent clearance player who is capable of kicking goals.

Touk Miller: As reliable a midfielder as the Suns have. Miller played every game last season, works hard both offensively and defensively and is already in the club's leadership group. Rock solid.

Tom Nicholls: Was passed by Jarrod Witts in 2017 and spent the entire year playing NEAFL. Has had a much better pre-season and showed some good form in the JLT Series.

Matt Rosa: The tall wingman keeps on keeping on. Now 31, Rosa played 19 games last year and is again in line to play a prominent role in 2018. The former Eagle is a good ball user and a calming influence on his young teammates.

Josh Schoenfeld: The aerobic powerhouse can play anywhere from half-back to wing to midfield. Schoenfeld is starting his third season and with a bit of extra size should begin to push his case for more senior games.

David Swallow: In a dismal year for Gold Coast, Swallow was a real success story last season. After missing 18 months with knee injuries, the bull-at-a-gate midfielder returned to finish second in the best and fairest. Almost too brave for his own good, Swallow is the heartbeat of the midfield.

Lachie Weller: After three years at Fremantle, Weller returns 'home' where he spent so much time as a teenager. Well skilled and fresh off a strong pre-season, he should complement the inside likes of Lyons, Miller and Swallow nicely.

Jarrod Witts: The towering ruckman made a huge impact in his first year at the club. More than just a tap ruckman, Witts proved valuable around the stoppages and helped the Suns to be a strong clearance team. - Michael Whiting

Some interesting thoughts and curious omissions

apparently Bowes, Scheer, Joyce, McPherson, Scrimshaw and Spencer et al don't play for us?
Nor Michael Rischitelli! That Whiting fellow is being really cagey about the Suns chances. Second article this week that he's given guarded info and neglected to share the stuff we talk about routinely. He's on Team Dew for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nor Michael Rischitelli! That Whiting fellow is being really cagey about the Suns chances. Second article this week that he's given guarded info and neglected to share the stuff we talk about routinely. He's on Team Dew for sure.
and Young as well

Peter Wright says the Gold Coast Suns are starting from scratch under new coach Stuart Dew

ON the eve of Gold Coast’s eighth season in the AFL, tall forward Peter Wright says the Suns are starting from scratch.

Widespread changes to the administration, football department and playing style have convinced Wright the Suns cleanse has the club moving finally moving forward.

“With the amount of changes we have had at ... it feels a lot fresher,” Wright said.

“It feels like we are starting from scratch again. It’s really exciting from a player’s point of view and holistically as a club.”

New coach Stuart Dew headlines the changes with the former Sydney assistant the third to step in to the role at the Suns.

Dew has brought with him the contested and high pressure game style made famous by the Swans and Wright said it was a brand that would stack up against the rest of the AFL.

“It’s the type of footy that keeps you in contests with a full 18-man offence and defence,” Wright said.

“It’s based around contest and transition and it will keep us in games longer. Even if we are breaking down across half-forward or turn the ball over, the way we transition will stop teams scoring against us the other way and when it clicks we will be dangerous going the other way.

“It’s something I haven’t been very good at in the past but I got a lot better at it last year and will look to improve again this year.

“As talls it’s our role to get our hands dirty each week as well, not just make a contest but do the follow up work.”

It’s a big adjustment for a team that has traditionally struggled to lock the ball inside their opponent’s backline.

Wright’s forward partner and captain Tom Lynch will be under the microscope as he edges closer to the end of his contract this year.

A host of Melbourne clubs are already after him and the key forward will wait until the later stages of the season to make a decision on his future.

Wright, 21, has spent three AFL seasons and while he believed Lynch’s presence was critical to the club, his apprenticeship under the 25-year-old had given him the tools to one day spearhead the club’s forward line if needed.

“It is easy to tell he always takes the best defender and it takes a lot of time and effort from opposition teams to stop,” Wright said.

“It takes a bit of pressure off me but the way he handles that and his physical presence and ability to compete is something I have really learnt from and tried to emulate.

“Each week you can learn something new from the way he goes about his business.

“He is really important to the team and as a captain plays a pivotal role up there as a leader.

“We have three really good backs in Steven May, Rory Thompson and Jack Leslie so to be able to go up against those boys has taught me lessons and will hold me in good stead going forward.”

Wright missed the JLT Community Series with a calf injury and conceded it was still touch-and-go as to whether he is fit enough to be available for Round 1.

The 203cm tall — who kicked 31 goals last season — will need to battle the returning Sam Day for a spot in Gold Coast’s best 22.

Day missed 2017 due to a serious hip injury as Wright went on to play all 22 games and Dew is yet to instruct the pair if he would be willing to play all three talls at once.

Wright said it was up to him to improve his consistency and produce the football that would ensure his place in the senior side couldn’t be refuted.

“It comes down to form,” Wright said.

“If you are playing well enough then you demand a spot and put your hand up.

“I was happy to play all 22 games last year and for my body to hold up but I was up and down with form.

“I feel like I really grew as a footballer. I played good footy at times and footy that probably wasn’t good enough. It’s about lifting up the base level and still have those good games.”

The Roar always loves dissing the suns and today they did again
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/03/...niversity-doesnt-make-good-reading-suns-fans/
But what i read in the comments is one of the best responses i've seen to the s**t given by Melbourne media, Qlder if you are on here I applaud you:

Post by Qlder

OK, Paul, as a GCSuns supporter and member (yes, we exist) I’ve got to add a couple of things here.
First, credit for getting two things right (at least): the injury record has been appalling. Little things like having O’Meara on the list for two years in which he didn’t play a game; Ablett’s struggles with his shoulder (thanks Collingwood) and then his hamstrings; Jack Martin’s first season over 10 minutes into Round 1… I could go on. And the two coaches so far missed the mark in differing ways. In retrospect, Eade’s appointment was not good, despite the injury issues he had to deal with.
A couple of things people ‘outside’ don’t get about expansion teams is that the club starts with no 100 year culture. That takes some time to develop. Like 100 years or so; so when the team is criticised for a lack of culture, they have to be cut some slack (Paul, you did not hit that empty bucket, thank you). Secondly, when expansion teams succeed, they are dissed by other supporters because the AFL”gives them everything; blah blah, blah” but when they struggle it’s “pack them up; a waste of time and money” etc.
So, with that off my chest, let’s look at how some other expansion teams have performed. I am deliberately going to cherry-pick my stats here, but let me point out that established clubs Footscray, North Melbourne and Hawthorn all joined the VFL in 1925. Footscray took 13 years to make the finals in a 12-team one-city competition. North took 20 years, and Hawthorn just 32 years to make the finals (you could make the case that they have gone OK since then).
So, if you want to bring up University, what about Richmond who joined at the same time? Well, it took the Tigers 8 years to do it in 1916 when only FOUR teams played in the VFL due to WW1. The following year when there were 6 teams, Richmond went straight back to the bottom.

The northern exposure podcast is a new podcast with afl.com footy writers that cover qld footy. I urge everybody to jump on download the podcast through itunes or your preferred podcast platform. The bigger the response the more likely it will continue regularly. Seems to be the best media coverage of queensland footy without the Victorian bias.

The northern exposure podcast is a new podcast with afl.com footy writers that cover qld footy. I urge everybody to jump on download the podcast through itunes or your preferred podcast platform. The bigger the response the more likely it will continue regularly. Seems to be the best media coverage of queensland footy without the Victorian bias.
Mark evans and greg swann are the guests on episode 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back