Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Brisbane fans are quite bullish about next season. Hopefully your dream injury run will last and Lions depth will not be exposed. Consider 2nd QClash last year as a warning :) Suns were missing 9 best, Lions 2 - yet Lions barely sneaked in.

What position do you expect Lions to finish?

Also I am curious about Hipwood. I have seen some pictures of him early preseason and he seems still quite skinny. Is it his body type so he is not able to bulk up? Other players looked good.
I expect we’ll finish somewhere between 15th and 12th. I hope we finish somewhere between 10th and 8th.

The talk is Hipwood’s body type doesn’t allow him to add much bulk. He has put on a little muscle each year, but he’s not able to put on genuine mass.

Early in the year I made the comparison in one of our draft discussions, that Lukosius already is the player we hope Hipwood turns out to be. Lukosius is superior in almost all aspects, especially footy brain. The only areas of the game where Hipwood is superior is height, length and outright speed.

I expect we’ll finish somewhere between 15th and 12th. I hope we finish somewhere between 10th and 8th.

The talk is Hipwood’s body type doesn’t allow him to add much bulk. He has put on a little muscle each year, but he’s not able to put on genuine mass.

Early in the year I made the comparison in one of our draft discussions, that Lukosius already is the player we hope Hipwood turns out to be. Lukosius is superior in almost all aspects, especially footy brain. The only areas of the game where Hipwood is superior is height, length and outright speed.

Athleticism is pretty important in the game!

The above points you made are some of the reasons that I don’t think hipwood is ever going to be reliable as a dominant key forward.

To me he is a super dangerous second banana. Capable of kicking 5 in a quarter but also wouldn’t surprise for him to go missing in a critical game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Article on Dave Swallow by Michael Whiting on afl.com.au. Nothing new really - just that he has old man knees and hasn't left the club yet.
Only thing that caught my interest was Swallows thoughts on captaincy:
"I feel if I'm the one for the job, it'll take care of itself,"
"I'm not one to say: 'I'm the man'. I think it'll evolve. Whoever gets the job will take the club forward."

I dead set love the bloke but he isn't my first choice for captain.

Athleticism is pretty important in the game!

The above points you made are some of the reasons that I don’t think hipwood is ever going to be reliable as a dominant key forward.

To me he is a super dangerous second banana. Capable of kicking 5 in a quarter but also wouldn’t surprise for him to go missing in a critical game.

I don’t disagree with most of that. For me, it’s not so much Hippy going missing, more that he sometimes or often times doesn’t see the better options and just hoists for goal.

Article on Dave Swallow by Michael Whiting on afl.com.au. Nothing new really - just that he has old man knees and hasn't left the club yet.
Only thing that caught my interest was Swallows thoughts on captaincy:
"I feel if I'm the one for the job, it'll take care of itself,"
"I'm not one to say: 'I'm the man'. I think it'll evolve. Whoever gets the job will take the club forward."

I dead set love the bloke but he isn't my first choice for captain.
Plus 1, love him as he leads by example player but the media isn’t his thing

Any questions for Tom Boswell from the Gold Coast Bulletin? He is happy to ask Suns this Thurs. Here is the FB link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoldCoastSUNSmembers/

"The club will be doing a large media opp on Thursday with nearly the entire list so if anyone has anything they would like to know about a certain player, within reason, I'll do my best to ask for you and cover it in some stories."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Photo day! IMG_4342.JPG IMG_4343.JPG

Some articles:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-24/potential-suns-skipper-says-it-would-be-rude-not-to-resign

A contender to fill the vacant captaincy post, Miller is happy on the Gold Coast and, following the five-year extensions of David Swallow and Jarrod Witts, can see the merits of an early extension.

"They gave me the opportunity to play AFL and live my dream. I think it'd be rude of me not to pay the respect by giving my loyalty to them as well," the 22-year-old said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-24/highend-draft-talent-wont-be-gifted-games-at-suns-dew

"As a football club we'd like to think we won't be playing people on the fear they would leave and will play them on merits and how they behave around the football club and on the field," he said.

"We're searching for a healthy list and a big list to pick from so that we can hold that true."

Last edited:
Touk Miller should be captain. I love Wittsy - I'm sure he would give 100% if he was given the captaincy - but Touk has to be the frontrunner. The fact that he is concerned about repaying our club with a contract extension says everything about his character, and the example he can set for others.
If you ask me it's actually the club that owes him.

I think Miller will be captain in 2019. It is more a matter of whether he's sole captain or whether he has a co-captain to help shoulder the load. I think it is likely he'll have a co-captain, most likely Swallow.

Early in the off-season, I thought Touk had plenty of leadership potential, but still needed to consolidate his position in the 22. We had Swallow, Lyons & Brodie all as inside mids with probably more talent than him. Then we were recruiting Miles, Ellis, GHS & who knew who else. Plus we have Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth, Weller, Scheer, Dawson, Wigg etc all wanting to play on the ball. Now Lyons has gone, our draft picks are not inside mids & Touk has been outstanding over summer. I'll be amazed if Touk is not captain for 2019.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2019-01-24/inner-sanctum-realty-partnership-announcement

Seems like a good vibe in this room amongst the players.

https://outline.com/2LRtpr

SAM Day has become the second player to pledge their loyalty to the Gold Coast in as many days with the key forward declaring he has no plans on leaving the Suns.

Midfielder Touk Miller has revealed he is in talks to extend his contract beyond 2019 and Day said his manager is doing the same.

“My manager and the club are talking through things at the moment,” Day said.

“I’m a pretty straight forward guy and I’m not mucking around or playing any games.

“I’d definitely like to stay.”

Last edited:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-28/new-sun-still-adapting-to-gold-coasts-crazy-beaches

But the smooth-moving talent, likened to Andrew McLeod for his freakish exploits close to goal, is missing something.

"I can't really swim too well, but back in Adelaide there's lot of jetties you jump off," he said.

"There's a bridge or two here, but nothing like back home. I've got to learn to surf I guess, but the beaches here are crazy, massive waves."

"That's the next challenge, that's what this preseason has been about, being ready for the next step," Rankin said.

"Sean, he does everything right and I get to see what it means to be professional, and Stuey's big point has been that everything we do needs to be done professionally.

"We're from a similar background and he's really helped me settle."

The South Australian arrived at the Suns as pick No.3 in the NAB AFL Draft and, after initially staying at CEO Mark Evans' place, has found his feet as teammate Sean Lemmens' flatmate.

http://m.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2019-01-25/northern-sun-membership-launch

I'm notoriously bad at recognising faces from photograph's - but I'm fairly certain that's Will Brodie in the promo image.

Any guesses as to why Will would be chosen as the face of our Northern Queensland membership campaign?

No reason, just putting a different mix of players in their promos - Ainsworth in fixture, harbrow on membership cards etc

No reason, just putting a different mix of players in their promos - Ainsworth in fixture, harbrow on membership cards etc

Fair enough. Not that Will isn't marketable or anything - just seems strange to me not to go with our current club champion, inaugural player and only player life member, who also actually comes from Northern Queensland.

However, that isn't all he picked up during his time at the Tigers.

"The thing I learnt at Richmond is that it doesn't take much to change," he said.

"A few little things make a big difference.

"Even from the top end down, it doesn't take much to influence how you go.

"So, in terms of writing us off I'd say at your own peril because I've seen it first-hand; Richmond coming from 13th to win the next year (in 2017)."

In terms of fresh starts I couldn't have asked for much more," Miles said.

"Midfield spots will still be tough to come by here but that's the catalyst of the move obviously, to play more AFL footy.

"There's a lot of good young mids coming through, but I'm still pretty young myself and have plenty to offer."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-29/tiger-lesson-says-write-off-suns-at-your-peril-miles

“I suppose obviously the initial disappointment of being delisted (was a challenge) but then after that it was more just the settling in to normal life,” Collins told SUNS TV.

“(I was) working 8-5 then getting out to Werribee through Melbourne peak-hour traffic and training and getting back home to St Kilda.

“I think it was just the hours and the time of your day - you really have to prioritise what you need to do and that was a bit of a challenge but I learnt a lot about myself through that time so it was really good.”

He joins the likes of Club Champion Jarrod Harbrow, veteran Pearce Hanley, new recruit Jack Hombsch and incumbent Rory Thompson in what is now a stocked defensive unit.

“There’s some really great quality players down in the backline and people who are really knowledgeable and know what they’re doing,” Collins said.

“To be able to learn off them is going to really benefit me and hopefully take my football to the next level.

“So far everyone’s working really hard and everyone’s understanding a new structure and hopefully we can be really competitive this year.”
“There’s always going to be the competition (for spots),” he said.

“Honestly the competition I faced at Fremantle just made me a better player and I think there’s nothing wrong with spending time in the NEAFL and proving yourself.

“I think there’s going to be a really healthy competition for spots and hopefully the list is healthy for the full season because that’s going to make us better.”
http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2019-01-29/collins-afl-revival-in-full-swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back