Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold Coast Suns push their case to retain AFL concessions
“One of the concessions we fought hard with at the AFL was to try and have more list spots to be able to promote players from our academy zones,” Suns CEO Mark Evans said.
“It would be hard for us to reduce the list significantly. We certainly couldn’t do it in a one year period.

“We would still be hopeful the AFL would see the advantage in allowing us some extra rookie places to be able to incentivise the growth of Queensland and the Northern Territory talent but we are in their hands at the moment until we finalise that.
“We have had discussions, particularly with other northern academy clubs. We put our case forward and haven’t heard anything back.”

Watching 360 and they seem to be leaning towards likely, that the afl at one stage this season will have 4 day breaks, I can't wait to see the depth of our list, and other clubs' lists. And also watch superstars dominate against lesser opponents.. exciting times

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congratulations Harbs
God I love this guy
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...e/news-story/a1450bec470a271394b1364cf95f15a8
It's Bulletin so probably paywalled, but not a bad word to be said
Super hard on himself for his 2020 performances but had surgery off season played injued through 2019 because he was needed on the ground
If Grablett had only had half his ticker......
REFLECTION

Harbrow has been one of the most selfless players Gold Coast have had throughout its history and the fact the greatest satisfaction he will get from his milestone game is linked to how it will affect others is further proof of that.

He is more excited to be involved in teammate Izak Rankine’s debut than his own milestone.

He has been a respected mentor for every player at the club, particularly the Indigenous players and those involved in his Harbrow Mentoring programs.

His milestone is just another thing the junior players who look up to him have to latch on to in the hope of making their own mark on the game.

Last edited:
Congratulations Harbs
God I love this guy
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...e/news-story/a1450bec470a271394b1364cf95f15a8
It's Bulletin so probably paywalled, but not a bad word to be said
Super hard on himself for his 2020 performances but had surgery off season played injued through 2019 because he was needed on the ground
If Grablett had only had half his ticker......

I admit I've been hard on him for his recent performances, but he has bled red and gold and has been one of the few constants at our club. He has my utmost respect and admiration for the service he has provided both on and off the field.

Hopefully the early season stuff is an aberration and we can get another couple of years out of the old boy yet.

Seriously cannot wait to watch him play.
Rowell may be our best player over the next few years but can't help but think that Rankine will be the fan favourite and rightly so.

One thing that I haven't really seen mentioned is the length on his kick. In one of the JLT games he lined up for set shot with man on the mark at 51-52 metres and it sailed through.

Game day!

Dewy announcing Izak's nomination to the group:

One important thing Dewy noted during the speech that not too many people have is his forward pressure, which imo is arguably the most impressive part of his game this week. Most of us already knew the talent he had, but his 14 pressure acts (as well as a few tackles and one percenters) is what created the opportunities, and invaluable to the team, no matter how many goals he kicks. It's one thing to be talented, but it's another thing to work hard defensively in order to create opportunities to use that talent. I hope he keeps it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As expected.

Amazing insight into his mindset and how humble he is. The amount of honest detail he put into everything he said, is probably more than most players. You can really tell with this interview that he really cares about the team first and foremost, and is really appreciative of everyone around him. After reading this, I think he's here to stay.

First game of the round too!
This may be a mistake, but the article on the afl website, fox footy is listed as the broadcaster, so doesn't look like it'll be free to air though. I may be wrong, but I do believe in recent years a few games a season, some thursday night games are fox footy games. Hopefully if it isn't a mistake, they can change it, cause it seems odd that 7 would only be covering three games that round (as opposed to the usual four this year). Although it may just be the AFL experimenting with timeslots (given we also have a non-fta monday night game), with the AFL looking to cram a bunch of games in a shorter time period (resulting several in games being played in non-traditional timeslots).

The Gold Coast Suns will announce a two-year contract extension for coach Stuart Dew on Wednesday in a deal that will extend his tenure at the club to five years by the end of 2022.

Gold Coast are less than 600 members off passing the all-time membership record of 14,131, set in the club’s inaugural season in 2011.

Last edited:
Mark Evans has made his pitch to the AFL for Metricon to host the Grand Final

Although Gabba will fit more people, there is no guarantee that many people will be allowed. All other areas Metricon wins. Let's do this!

"If QLD is going to be the home of AFL, we support
Annastacia Palaszczuk MP
's call to have the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final here and believe
Metricon Stadium
is the perfect venue
🏟

The SUNS have grown footy in QLD and hosting a day or night Toyota AFL Grand Final would turbo-charge that good work.
We love where we live and want to see Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast host the season decider."

-Mark Evans - Gold Coast SUNS CEO

Mark Evans has made his pitch to the AFL for Metricon to host the Grand Final

Although Gabba will fit more people, there is no guarantee that many people will be allowed. All other areas Metricon wins. Let's do this!

"If QLD is going to be the home of AFL, we support
Annastacia Palaszczuk MP
's call to have the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final here and believe
Metricon Stadium
is the perfect venue
🏟

The SUNS have grown footy in QLD and hosting a day or night Toyota AFL Grand Final would turbo-charge that good work.
We love where we live and want to see Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast host the season decider."

-Mark Evans - Gold Coast SUNS CEO
having the grand final at the mcg for decades year after year, for there to be one little blip in the records to show metricon stadium would be incredible :tearsofjoy:

Eddie says he is going to try and recruit Rankine to the Blues, they would be silly not too but can we just enjoy some good footy without the talk of Vics trying to recruit our players :p:p:p

Eddie says he is going to try and recruit Rankine to the Blues, they would be silly not too but can we just enjoy some good footy without the talk of Vics trying to recruit our players :p:p:p
AFL needs to toughen up and introduce NBA style tampering rules.

I believe it was a joke. But good luck, that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back