Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my gut feel too if he doesn't break out this year.

If he gets games (and earns his spot this year) and can hold down a spot in the team then I imagine he at least signs on for 2 more years. Will have to make his bones up forward.

The problem is he thinks he's a midfielder, but like Brodie he just doesn't have the work rate to get too enough contests around the ground when there isn't a stoppage. He is so far down the midfield pecking order at the Suns it's laughable.

I was all for Flanders at the time, but how good a fit would Will Day (who we were seriously debating between him and Flanders) have been. Perfect player to play the Jack Bowes/Wil Powell role down back, or play on the opposite wing to Ellis.

If he gets games (and earns his spot this year) and can hold down a spot in the team then I imagine he at least signs on for 2 more years. Will have to make his bones up forward.

The problem is he thinks he's a midfielder, but like Brodie he just doesn't have the work rate to get too enough contests around the ground when there isn't a stoppage. He is so far down the midfield pecking order at the Suns it's laughable.
In episode 4 Day by Day coaches discuss that Flanders did his work and is ready to get exposure in midfield.

In episode 4 Day by Day coaches discuss that Flanders did his work and is ready to get exposure in midfield.

I saw that - they were talking about a intra-club practice match when you need to field 2 midfields and he was the last player added to the midfield mix.

I was all for Flanders at the time, but how good a fit would Will Day (who we were seriously debating between him and Flanders) have been. Perfect player to play the Jack Bowes/Wil Powell role down back, or play on the opposite wing to Ellis.
And wasn’t Will a Suns fan too?

And wasn’t Will a Suns fan too?

Suns fan, Sam's cousin and no one from SA has ever walked out on the Suns so the go home factor would have been lower.

In the draft it was thought that Flanders was more of the finished product and Day would take time to develop. Day has flown past Flanders based on 2020 form. Let's see how things turn out this year.

We will not be able to keep all our young players with potential.
Either $ or opportunity or playing in Melbourne or heading home or some combination of the above will take a few out, either while still young or when we can't afford to pay the going rate for a 25-28 year old solid player who is not a star.
This happens at all clubs (Pies a recent example), it just happens more often at the 4 northern clubs.

I personally am pretty calm about that.

By far the most important thing that we can do is set up an environment where good young players are happy to sign on for fair coin. Not thru massive overpays. If we can do that, and the current signs are good, we will have a chance.

David King asked to predict rising star and browlow winner. He has gone with a history making double from Matt Rowell 🙂🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out - Thompson (ACL), Atkins (shoulder), Hollands (ACL), Collins (foot), Jeffrey, Murdoch, Nicholls, Murtagh (ate too many sausages)

According to Harbrow's Q&A Jarrod had a full pre-season contrary to last year (groin surgery). It would not surprise me if he makes best 22 round 1 based on today's teams :)

Last edited:
If Harbrow plays like he did last year on the weekend then I will be speechless that he got a game in the AFL team

Joel Wilkinson details disgust over blackface photos and ‘offensive’ email

It's a long article with statements from multiple parties and the relevant photos. Here is SUNS and Sexton statement.

STATEMENT FROM GOLD COAST SUNS
The Gold Coast Suns acknowledge that Joel Wilkinson experienced racism during his AFL career with the club including two well-publicised on-field incidents. We deeply regret that he did.

The photo released to media is from an end-of-season player dress-up event that occurred in 2013.

In the photo a former Suns player Leigh Osborne dressed up as Wilkinson and we understand Leigh has provided comment on this.

Separately, Alex Sexton and his former Suns teammate and housemate Tim Sumner, who is indigenous, agreed to dress up as each other. This included Sumner painting Sexton’s face and skin black and Sexton painting Sumners’ face and skin white.

The Suns view the choice of outfits in the photo and on that day to be inappropriate, unacceptable and regrettable.

Alex Sexton today said he was sorry for what had happened in 2013.

“At the time I just saw it as two housemates dressing up as each other,” Sexton said.

“Looking back, I regret that decision. While I meant no harm, I certainly accept today that it was inappropriate and I now understand how upsetting and offensive my actions were.”

As a club, the Gold Coast Suns strongly support the fight to stamp out racism and we will continue to embrace the work we do with multicultural, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations.

The Suns have a number of strong indigenous and multicultural role-models and we are committed to having an inclusive and respectful environment.

Last edited:
What was the “offensive email”?

Just reading the article now.

It looks like the offensive email was from the lawyer Peter Gordon (also long time power broker at the Western Bulldogs) who was engaged by the AFL to argue against Wilkinson's accusations of racism.

He made a case that Wilkinson submitted evidence that cropped out himself from the group photo that shows him in African dress, accusing Wilkinson dressing similarly to the players that were doing black face.

Joel Wilkinson details disgust over blackface photos and ‘offensive’ email

It's a long article with statements from multiple parties and the relevant photos. Here is SUNS and Sexton statement.

The Secco/Sumner incident sounds very Turk and JD from Scrubs -esque.

Obviously, blackface isn't okay. We know that but at the same time. If Sumner didn't have a problem with it at the time is it even something to be up in arms about? I honestly don't know it's probably something I need to educate myself further on.

This Wilkinson business is a very touchy thing, Let's all take a moment and think before we comment please folks.

The clubs apologised, the players have apologised. I’m happy to apologise too and say I’m sorry he didn’t get from us as a club the wonderful time he would’ve dreamed of having.

I’m a bit unsure now what else we can do as a GC Suns institution.

The clubs apologised, the players have apologised. I’m happy to apologise too and say I’m sorry he didn’t get from us as a club the wonderful time he would’ve dreamed of having.

I’m a bit unsure now what else we can do as a GC Suns institution.
just learn from it for future players and members within our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back