Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Suns players, management and coaches would do at least 5 times for Melbourne media what they do for local GC media.
We aren’t the Yarra Suns we are the Gold Coast Suns.
Probably because there’s 20x the AFL media and interest down in Vic. And Gold Coast radio are trash

I’ll never forget Paul Gale on SEA-FM interviewing Ellie Hampson at the start of the first AFLW season, and he spent the entire interview asking which bloke in the men’s team she thinks is the hottest.....

Probably because there’s 20x the AFL media and interest down in Vic. And Gold Coast radio are trash

I’ll never forget Paul Gale on SEA-FM interviewing Ellie Hampson at the start of the first AFLW season, and he spent the entire interview asking which bloke in the men’s team she thinks is the hottest.....

Gale is a knob

Well the thread is called SUNS in the media...

Not related but remember that Broadbeach player in the NEAFL who i'm sure wanted to beat me to death? Those were good times

Not related but remember that Broadbeach player in the NEAFL who i'm sure wanted to beat me to death? Those were good times

Our friend "Hungry"? I think a young Lachie Weller was playing that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, listening to the interview, both of them were confident any player exodus was over, I don't get the feeling that Luko plans on leaving. And Collins believes in staying for the bad times as well as the good, because in the end, the reward is so much more when you have been through that and get to success on the other side.
Feels like this group given they are all so close, have the similar view

Stewie Dew on radio:
- says we lost confidence after the Freo game. Took a change in routine on Thursday to shake that up
- instruction to players was just to keep taking the game on, even after mistakes
- understands that the public needs to see more results given that they aren't inside the four walls
- re: touk: just works super hard on his own craft
- re: draft: highlighted key backs to improve. but also keen to change the picks out for mature talent, but that has to be for the right guys.
- really strong on AFL on the gold coast working
- re: players drinking after that game a few weeks ago: it was a sanctioned team dinner. some guys went out after that, but nothing past midnight on a 7 day break. leadership group were all across it. didn't seem to think it was a big issue given guys like Witts and Touk were fine with it.
- notes that players are getting more recognised.
- more inconsistent this year than what we wanted to be. just wants to play in a certain fashion rather than hit X number of wins for the rest of this year.

Cheap flights from Melbourne on that day too

Stewie Dew on radio:
- says we lost confidence after the Freo game. Took a change in routine on Thursday to shake that up
- instruction to players was just to keep taking the game on, even after mistakes
- understands that the public needs to see more results given that they aren't inside the four walls
- re: draft: highlighted key backs to improve. but also keen to change the picks out for mature talent, but that has to be for the right guys.
- re: players drinking after that game a few weeks ago: it was a sanctioned team dinner. some guys went out after that, but nothing past midnight on a 7 day break. leadership group were all across it. didn't seem to think it was a big issue given guys like Witts and Touk were fine with it.
- more inconsistent this year than what we wanted to be. just wants to play in a certain fashion rather than hit X number of wins for the rest of this year.

- asked if Alastair Clarkson will be coaching Gold Coast in 2022 🤣

Stewie Dew on radio:
It seems Dew and the club know exactly what we are thinking, maybe we're all on the same page after all.

If we have to draft Key backs its obvious we aren't a destination club yet. Pick 6 for Steven May type players are out there

It seems Dew and the club know exactly what we are thinking, maybe we're all on the same page after all.

If we have to draft Key backs its obvious we aren't a destination club yet. Pick 6 for Steven May type players are out there
Well, we had a Steven May type player didn’t we? I hope Thompson can come back and become that player but given his age and injury history that thought is sadly unrealistic.

Yeah it's true, I came up for the Sydney Swans game and had club approval - In fact the club were the ones who asked me to bring it to Metricon. I used it after the first goal in the first quarter and some guy in a Metricon suit marched down with his ear piece and told me I needed to cloak it at quarter time and I wasn't allowed to use it. I tried explaining to him that the club had asked me to bring it and I had their permission as well as AFL approval and he didn't care or want to know about it so I text my contact at the club straight away and they stepped in and sorted it out for me. The guy in the suit ended up apologising to me and let me use it the rest of the game.

That is one thing that irritated me though - you try and create atmosphere at Metricon and they try and shut it down it's ridiculous!

Thanks man! We try our best down here to create atmosphere.
I hear ya!
I called a meeting with staff to get the trumpet removed at the end of last season and called for a better crowd experience. In the meeting we discussed NRL and NBL/NBA stadium experiences vs ours with the pathetic trumpet being played when we scored!
I expressed the fact we needed to get the crowd involved more to boost team morale. They agreed! I said AFL is an adrenaline fueled sport, we need to get angry and hungry with music to suit. Playing family pop music and Brit spears wasn’t going to cut it. They took it all onboard and the music changed and got aggressive for a handful of games, it was really awesome I thought. Then it went back to the rubbish pop music. ???
I also said we need to get a hot firey sun to race around the stadium on the LED lights around the oval with a big hot sun sound affect for each time we score, a bit like Brisbane’s roar, or Richmonds growl! They liked it but nothing came of it, instead we get the wispy fffing trumpet. Just my 2 cents!

I
I loved at 4:28 Tim mentioned Richmond, especially Dylan Grymes said the physicality of the match was up there with the hardest they’ve had in 3 or 4 years! Bravo lads!!!! It’s up to Dewy to bring that heart and intent out of the lads each week so keep it coming!

I hear ya!
I called a meeting with staff to get the trumpet removed at the end of last season and called for a better crowd experience. In the meeting we discussed NRL and NBL/NBA stadium experiences vs ours with the pathetic trumpet being played when we scored!
I expressed the fact we needed to get the crowd involved more to boost team morale. They agreed! I said AFL is an adrenaline fueled sport, we need to get angry and hungry with music to suit. Playing family pop music and Brit spears wasn’t going to cut it. They took it all onboard and the music changed and got aggressive for a handful of games, it was really awesome I thought. Then it went back to the rubbish pop music. ???
I also said we need to get a hot firey sun to race around the stadium on the LED lights around the oval with a big hot sun sound affect for each time we score, a bit like Brisbane’s roar, or Richmonds growl! They liked it but nothing came of it, instead we get the wispy fffing trumpet. Just my 2 cents!
What was wrong with the trumpet?

What was wrong with the trumpet?
As I said in my above comment, it’s whispy, it’s the sound I expect to hear at a beta males sports event.
when I played football, I went out knowing I could break limbs and I did.
It’s a raging game and it’s built on adrenaline. You want to hear the crowd screaming as the blood and adrenaline courses through your veins. In my honest opinion, a whispy trumpet isn’t going to get the job done. Great as an added thing, like the drums, but as the primary effect I’m not convinced.

As I said, look what others clubs do to build the adrenaline for their supporters. The roars are aggressive, they get you pumped and In turn you get pumped up for the sound. Think pavlovs dog! To me this is obvious, but again, it’s just my opinion. If you watch any other adrenaline fueled sport, you have the music to suit it to get the crowd and teams or individuals into the flow. It’s a psychological thing and you may not appreciate the effects it has but it’s proven and evident. You might like a whispy trumpet but I prefer a bit more adrenaline personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back