Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in my above comment, it’s whispy, it’s the sound I expect to hear at a beta males sports event.
when I played football, I went out knowing I could break limbs and I did.
It’s a raging game and it’s built on adrenaline. You want to hear the crowd screaming as the blood and adrenaline courses through your veins. In my honest opinion, a whispy trumpet isn’t going to get the job done. Great as an added thing, like the drums, but as the primary effect I’m not convinced.

As I said, look what others clubs do to build the adrenaline for their supporters. The roars are aggressive, they get you pumped and In turn you get pumped up for the sound. Think pavlovs dog! To me this is obvious, but again, it’s just my opinion. If you watch any other adrenaline fueled sport, you have the music to suit it to get the crowd and teams or individuals into the flow. It’s a psychological thing and you may not appreciate the effects it has but it’s proven and evident. You might like a whispy trumpet but I prefer a bit more adrenaline personally.
Personally, I liked it. Was unique and looked good on broadcast. The drum and the trumpet would be the ultimate dream team

As I said in my above comment, it’s whispy, it’s the sound I expect to hear at a beta males sports event.
when I played football, I went out knowing I could break limbs and I did.
It’s a raging game and it’s built on adrenaline. You want to hear the crowd screaming as the blood and adrenaline courses through your veins. In my honest opinion, a whispy trumpet isn’t going to get the job done. Great as an added thing, like the drums, but as the primary effect I’m not convinced.

As I said, look what others clubs do to build the adrenaline for their supporters. The roars are aggressive, they get you pumped and In turn you get pumped up for the sound. Think pavlovs dog! To me this is obvious, but again, it’s just my opinion. If you watch any other adrenaline fueled sport, you have the music to suit it to get the crowd and teams or individuals into the flow. It’s a psychological thing and you may not appreciate the effects it has but it’s proven and evident. You might like a whispy trumpet but I prefer a bit more adrenaline personally.
Love Optus Stadium's pre game set up, may be over the top on tele and they wait for like 15 seconds for the lights to be finished but the music choice is fantastic.

Right Here Right Now - Fatboy Slim is one of my personal favourites
Joker and The Thief - Wolfmother
My Hero - Foo Fighters

just some off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure My Hero plays when Swallow kicks a goal

I do like your Sun going around the stadium idea.

Love Optus Stadium's pre game set up, may be over the top on tele and they wait for like 15 seconds for the lights to be finished but the music choice is fantastic.

My Hero - Foo Fighters

just some off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure My Hero plays when Swallow kicks a goal

100%. Your all over it.
You would of noticed them playing some of the tracks I mentioned earlier in the year, such as pre game Black Skinhead by Kanye and Joker and the Thief etc.

The examples I gave them were:

You will notice this one being played for a bit,
The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Blur - Song 2
Wolf Mother - Joker and the Thief
Guns and Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Black Skinhead - Kanye

it worked for a while but then slipped back to venga boy etc..
It’s gotta be all encompassing to work properly, you need the lighting and the sun to fly around the stadium etc.

I personally didn’t mind the ‘LETS GO’ bit with a bit of trumpet mix (no idea how else to describe it) they would play last year as the players were walking to position before the bounce. I have no idea if that was put together by the club or not? Got me going at least. Haven’t heard it at the games I’ve been to this year.

Just watched the video the Suns posted on their app of Rankine on AFL tonight. Didn’t catch the full segment, but he seems pretty happy and settled on the Coast. Talked about winning a premiership, which is ballsy but also indicates a bit of long term vision and commitment.

He also discussed how Dew and the forward coaches are trying to instil a team-first approach to his game, with less flash, more pressure. Hopefully it’s a move that doesn’t stunt his confidence and talent.

My Hero - Foo Fighters

if joker and the thief plays one more time at metricon stadium i'm gonna go ******* postal

I hear ya!
I called a meeting with staff to get the trumpet removed at the end of last season and called for a better crowd experience. In the meeting we discussed NRL and NBL/NBA stadium experiences vs ours with the pathetic trumpet being played when we scored!
I expressed the fact we needed to get the crowd involved more to boost team morale. They agreed! I said AFL is an adrenaline fueled sport, we need to get angry and hungry with music to suit. Playing family pop music and Brit spears wasn’t going to cut it. They took it all onboard and the music changed and got aggressive for a handful of games, it was really awesome I thought. Then it went back to the rubbish pop music. ???
I also said we need to get a hot firey sun to race around the stadium on the LED lights around the oval with a big hot sun sound affect for each time we score, a bit like Brisbane’s roar, or Richmonds growl! They liked it but nothing came of it, instead we get the wispy fffing trumpet. Just my 2 cents!

I like the idea of a firey sun graphic racing around the ground on the LEDs with a loud fireball sound accompanying it. That would be great. Much better than toottoot toottoot toot toot.

I personally didn’t mind the ‘LETS GO’ bit with a bit of trumpet mix (no idea how else to describe it) they would play last year as the players were walking to position before the bounce. I have no idea if that was put together by the club or not? Got me going at least. Haven’t heard it at the games I’ve been to this year.

Trying to find the song almost drove me nuts last year but finally managed to find it.

I thought it was a banger and also thought it was as the closest we've come to the "College Gameday" atmosphere we should be gunning for.

I think the trumpet by itself is fine but add drums to it and it'll take off

Just watched the video the Suns posted on their app of Rankine on AFL tonight. Didn’t catch the full segment, but he seems pretty happy and settled on the Coast. Talked about winning a premiership, which is ballsy but also indicates a bit of long term vision and commitment.

He also discussed how Dew and the forward coaches are trying to instil a team-first approach to his game, with less flash, more pressure. Hopefully it’s a move that doesn’t stunt his confidence and talent.

Love how Rank's shut down the reporters narrative to continually plant the seed of enticing him home "Do you find it tough being away from your family in SA" Rank's response: "No, that's why we have FaceTime and can call them, my family give me a lot of support." Says he has loved his time on the Coast and is excited about building success with his team mates. He won't be going anywhere.

Love how Rank's shut down the reporters narrative to continually plant the seed of enticing him home "Do you find it tough being away from your family in SA" Rank's response: "No, that's why we have FaceTime and can call them, my family give me a lot of support." Says he has loved his time on the Coast and is excited about building success with his team mates. He won't be going anywhere.
To have Rankine say this and Luko and Collins saying the same its pretty promising all our young players want to stick around for the long haul, Id love to see King extend by the end of the year.

As St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis said recently, the Saints would love to have Ben King join brother Max when Ben’s contract expires at the end of next season, saying “he would look good, wouldn’t he” in a Saints’ jumper.

But as much as it might be fun to play with his twin brother Max back on the Bayside, it’s probably not the best call for his footy.

The reality is, why would Ben want to join a team which already has the exact same type of player in its forward line?

Would West Coast want two Josh Kennedys? Would it work as well at Richmond with two Jack Riewoldts? Same goes for Tom Hawkins.

Coaches always talk about players complimenting each other. Bringing different attributes as part of a mix in the forward line.

That is why, if King decides to return home to Victoria as many clubs still suspect at the end of next year, Essendon looms as the best fit.

In 15 months’ time the Bombers will be absolutely primed to add a quality key forward to spearhead a superstar midfield brigade and bounce back into the finals mix from 2023.

Even though they won’t make finals this year, they have had an excellent season, the Bombers, and will welcome another high-end draft pick, then go hard for King in next year’s trade period to help round out the list transformation.

Of course, with a big trade move like this one, the seeds are being planted and cultivated now, just like Richmond started to plan for Tom Lynch more than a year before it landed the premiership goal kicker.

And what an immensely successful move that has been.

King, 21, is committed to his current contract but, for him to extend his deal beyond 2023 in Queensland he will want to see the club make some serious on-field progress next season.

The win over Richmond was the first glimpse things could be back on track, but there is no doubt the Suns need another key forward to help partner King if he is to stay.

That is why their first-round draft pick is on the table to land another forward marking target.

But at Essendon you can see what a difference King could make for a team which is trying to emulate Port Adelaide when it took Zak Butters, Connor Rozee and Xavier Duursma in 2018.

The Bombers have forecasted forward in a similar manner and King would be the jewel in the crown of Essendon’s attacking set up.

Power’s Mitch Georgiades would be an equally great get and the carrot will be dangled, but he seems fully committed to Port after inking an extension.

The Bombers had a go but missed out on Harry McKay, so it is clear what they are trying to target and for good reason.

Harrison Jones, Jake Stringer and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti would all pose a mobile marking threat around another spearhead.

Brad Johnson, who coached the King twins in the AFL Academy side, thinks they will be generational talents and Mick McGuane named Ben centre half forward in his Victorian State of Origin team.

But the question is, how certain is he to stay up north?

King said after the win over Richmond he was aware how important it was that young stars such as Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Jack Lukosius and himself stay together.

“We are definitely aware of that responsibility, and we are a very tight young group,” King said on Triple M.

“I think the connections are really strong and hopefully we can drive some success in this club.”

The talks on a new deal won’t start until the pre-season begins, but even then King would be wise to wait to see how the 2022 season pans pout before pulling out his pen.

forget about the top half, what he says on the bottom is more telling

forget about the top half, what he says on the bottom is more telling
I dont know if you made selective quotes from the article but I’m a little lost where the article says

“But at Essendon you can see what a difference King could make for a team which is trying to emulate Port Adelaide when it took Zak Butters, Connor Rozee and Xavier Duursma in 2018”

“The Bombers have forecasted forward in a similar manner and King would be the jewel in the crown of Essendon’s attacking set up”

and then goes on to list forward line threats
Harrison Jones - 20.
Anthony McDonald tipungwuti -28
Stringer - 27

I mean thanks for stating the obvious that the guy 3rd in the Coleman would make the forward line better. But how is this emulating rozee butters and duursma and port Adelaide??

I don’t know if it’s referencing young players cox, Perkins, Jones + Reid for which there has been huge fanfare about.

I would have thought king (at his current team), rowell, Anderson, rankine, Flanders, lukosius have shown more at AFL level so far.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know if you made selective quotes from the article but I’m a little lost where the article says

“But at Essendon you can see what a difference King could make for a team which is trying to emulate Port Adelaide when it took Zak Butters, Connor Rozee and Xavier Duursma in 2018”

“The Bombers have forecasted forward in a similar manner and King would be the jewel in the crown of Essendon’s attacking set up”

and then goes on to list forward line threats
Harrison Jones - 20.
Anthony McDonald tipungwuti -28
Stringer - 27

I mean thanks for stating the obvious that the guy 3rd in the Coleman would make the forward line better. But how is this emulating rozee butters and duursma and port Adelaide??

I don’t know if it’s referencing young players cox, Perkins, Jones + Reid for which there has been huge fanfare about.

I would have thought king (at his current team), rowell, Anderson, rankine, Flanders, lukosius have shown more at AFL level so far.
With Sharp recently signing, the Flanders signature is the most pressing one at the moment.

With Sharp recently signing, the Flanders signature is the most pressing one at the moment.
Talk seems to be that it’ll happen soon.
Agree though.
Some apparently in the know poster on Essendon board reporting that they are ‘balls deep’ in a Victorian midfielder playing interstate with all the attributes of a star but has yet to really shine at AFL level.
Could well be Flanders.

Trying to find the song almost drove me nuts last year but finally managed to find it.

I thought it was a banger and also thought it was as the closest we've come to the "College Gameday" atmosphere we should be gunning for.

I think the trumpet by itself is fine but add drums to it and it'll take off

Legend! I’ve been looking for that since I heard it as well. Thought for sure it was made in house.

I agree, add some drums and its nice for Metricon. Fits well without being too much trumpet.

Agree though.
Some apparently in the know poster on Essendon board reporting that they are ‘balls deep’ in a Victorian midfielder playing interstate with all the attributes of a star but has yet to really shine at AFL level.
Could well be Flanders.
If us, more like Brodie methinks

Agree though.
Could well be Flanders.
Flanders has played 15 games. The ‘yet to really shine’ indicates someone maybe longer in the system like Brodie as mentioned by SandyToes
I think played to his strengths Brodie could be a gun.

Flanders has played 15 games. The ‘yet to really shine’ indicates someone maybe longer in the system like Brodie as mentioned by SandyToes
I think played to his strengths Brodie could be a gun.
Dew and Haines have marked his card for better or worse.Wil deserves his chance at senior level.He can't stay here and watch his senior career die by a thousand cuts.I think he can be a very good AFL player in the right setup

Dew and Haines have marked his card for better or worse.Wil deserves his chance at senior level.He can't stay here and watch his senior career die by a thousand cuts.I think he can be a very good AFL player in the right setup
And what's annoying the most is that the kid loves the Coast and the club.

Yeah from what I’ve heard Brodie is gone. Was extremely salty to not be selected for the Richmond game when Greenwood went out.
This is AFL footy. Unfortunately there isn't any place to sook when things don't go your way. I feel sorry for him though but obviously there is still work to do for him to break into the seniors.

This is AFL footy. Unfortunately there isn't any place to sook when things don't go your way. I feel sorry for him though but obviously there is still work to do for him to break into the seniors.
After watching some boys leave and flourish elsewhere, I'm not so sure it's all about his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back