Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media have been hard on Izak. It’s unreasonable to expect a 22 year old to dominate games especially playing FP/HFF in the Suns forward line. Give him a few more seasons to fully reach his potential and more time up the ground on a wing and he’ll be ripping it up.
Kane Cornes just gave him another clip on Footy Classified and said he had no right to be taunting his opponent when he laughed in their face after playing one and a half good games of footy this season. Hutchy sort of told him off and said he was being hard on him but Cornes stuck to his guns and Hutchy thought he may have just played him into form for this weekend as well.

If criticism is how we get the best out of Izak on a more consistent basis then I welcome it at this early stage of his career. We need Rankine to play to his potential each week. He can have an enormous influence on a game and we saw that on Saturday against the Swans. Let's hope for another strong performance from Rankine against the Dockers this weekend!

Cornes is shitty because all his predictions re King Luko and Rankine leaving are turning to dust
In particular he would have thought Izak was a dead cert to go home to Shitadelaide
On a more positive note, and I’m certainly no social media expert, but it appears Suns have really stepped up their social media this year?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cornes is shitty because all his predictions re King Luko and Rankine leaving are turning to dust
In particular he would have thought Izak was a dead cert to go home to Shitadelaide
On a more positive note, and I’m certainly no social media expert, but it appears Suns have really stepped up their social media this year?

Yeah our social media has been great, almost back at the KT days.

I'm sure he will frustrate us at times but he may end up giving us the most joy in the long run. A player who can get fans through the gates and kids will have his number on their backs. Reminds me a bit of a young Andrew McLeod had a few tricks but eventually through hard work became one of the best players in the competition.
Reminds me of Aker. Speed to burn, cheeky personality and more skill on just one foot than most players have in their whole body.

We are on a high after another win at the SCG, and another win against the Swans. We talk about the returning Rory Thompson, Rankine finding some form, Swallow continuing to do work in the middle and Witts dominating games.

There is a very hard 3,2,1 votes to hand out and we look ahead to a game against Fremantle which may be more winnable than it appears.

Thanks for listening,
K

Just watching the Touk interview from Fox Footy. Very well spoken bloke.
Something I found really interesting in that interview was his answer to who he would recruit if he could get any player to join the Suns right now. He said either Jeremy Howe or Jeremy McGovern i.e an elite intercepting defender. Mind you, that interview took place before one of our Victorian matches this year and I suppose it was probably the Collingwood game and therefore it may not have been obvious at that time that Rory Thompson was about to return. Rory isn't an intercept defender but I would say his presence in our backline allowed both Ballard and Farrar to play more of an intercepting role and that made a huge difference when the Swans tried to move up the ground. Farrar in particular was unbelievable with his intercepts in the corridor but he was asked to play more of a lockdown role back when Rory wasn't playing.

It would still be great to get a guy like McGovern but perhaps not as necessary as it was before Rory Thompson returned to the backline.

Something I found really interesting in that interview was his answer to who he would recruit if he could get any player to join the Suns right now. He said either Jeremy Howe or Jeremy McGovern i.e an elite intercepting defender. Mind you, that interview took place before one of our Victorian matches this year and I suppose it was probably the Collingwood game and therefore it may not have been obvious at that time that Rory Thompson was about to return. Rory isn't an intercept defender but I would say his presence in our backline allowed both Ballard and Farrar to play more of an intercepting role and that made a huge difference when the Swans tried to move up the ground. Farrar in particular was unbelievable with his intercepts in the corridor but he was asked to play more of a lockdown role back when Rory wasn't playing.

It would still be great to get a guy like McGovern but perhaps not as necessary as it was before Rory Thompson returned to the backline.

Having Rory there changed the whole backline dynamics.. Ballard just flourished being able to go back to that sweeper role floating around the back half

Mcgovern would be an excellent addition to any side. The main problem would be his 1 million + salary next year. Maybe something could be sorted in stretching that out over 2 or 3 years. I think we will be more likely to add Liam Jones on a lot less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew has rejected suggestions the strong form of a handful of former players at new clubs is a "poor reflection" on the Suns' ability to develop young footballers.

Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew has rejected suggestions the strong form of a handful of former players at new clubs is a "poor reflection" on the Suns' ability to develop young footballers.

Correct. It’s a reflection on him and his inability to be flexible or look beyond a players weaknesses while playing favourites.

Correct. It’s a reflection on him and his inability to be flexible or look beyond a players weaknesses while playing favourites.
I don’t disagree.

I also don’t disagree entirely with Dew’s viewpoint. Salary cap and team spread of inside mids were factored in the decision to move Brodie on.

They may be “favourites”, but Rowell and Anderson will be playing in the midfield every week unless injured, and so will Touk. Brodie wasn’t going to get ahead of them and I don’t think many Suns fans or media personal would disagree with that. His salary was too high to continue to sit in the twos for us, and he deserved a shot. So, he was traded.

Also, as good as Brodie has been, he might have only got the chance because Fyfe was injured. If Fyfe plays, there is every chance Brodie would still be wallowing in the twos.

Glad he got the opportunity and got a run at it and he can prove everybody wrong now.

I don’t disagree.

I also don’t disagree entirely with Dew’s viewpoint. Salary cap and team spread of inside mids were factored in the decision to move Brodie on.

They may be “favourites”, but Rowell and Anderson will be playing in the midfield every week unless injured, and so will Touk. Brodie wasn’t going to get ahead of them and I don’t think many Suns fans or media personal would disagree with that. His salary was too high to continue to sit in the twos for us, and he deserved a shot. So, he was traded.

Also, as good as Brodie has been, he might have only got the chance because Fyfe was injured. If Fyfe plays, there is every chance Brodie would still be wallowing in the twos.

Glad he got the opportunity and got a run at it and he can prove everybody wrong now.
I don’t buy the salary cap excuse
Would you rather have Rory Atkins or Will Brodie ?
You basically delist 2MP then scrabble around a year later to replace him with Chol on similar coin after we spent a year with Caleb Graham and Burgess rucking when Big W went down
That interview did nothing to alter the average punters opinion that Dew can’t polish a diamond and has failed to date with list management at least starting with Lyons

You basically delist 2MP then scrabble around a year later to replace him with Chol on similar coin after we spent a year with Caleb Graham and Burgess rucking when Big W went down
That interview did nothing to alter the average punters opinion that Dew can’t polish a diamond and has failed to date with list management at least starting with Lyons

Amen brother.

Jeez I thought only Iva Bigun and myself were salty

From what I understood Wright was on 600k plus while Chol is on 450 or so.

Tbh, Casboult and Chol more than likely collectively earn less that Wright and we would still have a little bit left over as well.

From what I understood Wright was on 600k plus while Chol is on 450 or so.

Tbh, Casboult and Chol more than likely collectively earn less that Wright and we would still have a little bit left over as well.
They've certainly worked out ok but they are a consequence of letting 2MP go
It's a circular argument that Dew defenders and the more lets say pragmatic supporters will never agree on I'm sure
It doesn't matter how the Club spins it, the optics of letting these guys go from not playing in a bottom 4 club to star at finals contending clubs are at the very best poor
We've said it all before.
We start winning, make finals it becomes Will, Jarryd, Peter Who???

‘Brodie won’t get in front of rowell’

Why was he never given a shot when rowell was out injured.

We’ve played guys like holman, macpherson, Weller in the centre square over the past few years.
Exactly. I have no problem with moving Brodie on to give him an opportunity as we clearly wouldn’t and his lack of athleticism we just didn’t have the set up to carry, whereas Freo have set up perfectly to help him.

What is frustrating is some players get the chance to work through poor form and have multiple goes at it, while some others are dropped the second they put in a slightly down performance. There is no consistency which is where the lack of development is coming from, those who are yo-yoing between grades and not getting a chance to settle.

Dew gave up on Brodie long ago.

Suspect that Dew is a solid AFL coach who has some very strong points and some real weaknesses.
Just like most of the coaches.

On the negative side, if you don't fit what he wants you better show something quick or you are in the black book and unlikely to be given a chance to get out. That seemed to be the case with Lyons and Brodie. On 2MP, suspect the best thing for him was to change clubs and start again and try and build some confidence and some extra aggression. Not sure he would have been able to do that with us, too much water under the bridge. But a big cross for not getting enough out of them (and therefore not getting enough trade return either).

On the plus side, the revolving door was real. But we are now getting very few players who want to leave after 2 or 4 years. That should be a massive tick for the coach, given where we came from.

Feels like the playing list now has a solid foundation and an age profile that will finally get a chance to develop. In a couple of years we should be older and more experienced than any rebuilding club. Whodathunkit?

We don't even need to play Davies, Jeffrey, Hollands or Andrew. We can play them, but don't feel like we need to.

I also think the final positive is that we can now judge based on on-field performance and not potential. Win some games or pack your bags. The list is good enough to win 10 games so go and get that done.

Exactly. I have no problem with moving Brodie on to give him an opportunity as we clearly wouldn’t and his lack of athleticism we just didn’t have the set up to carry, whereas Freo have set up perfectly to help him.

What is frustrating is some players get the chance to work through poor form and have multiple goes at it, while some others are dropped the second they put in a slightly down performance. There is no consistency which is where the lack of development is coming from, those who are yo-yoing between grades and not getting a chance to settle.

Dew gave up on Brodie long ago.
I see, been seaching through the net on what Will Brodie's defiiency was that Dew refuse to give him a game. All the games he played for Freo so far he cracked in hard, put his body on the line and defense fairly well.

I heard Duffield mentioned in his podcast that Brodie gave up on trying to improve his deficiency because he max out already. Athleticism makes a whole lot of sense. But that is on recruiting and not the player. Clayton Oliver is no sprinter neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back