Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox sports article…

Been through the hardest part of the draw already… do we dare to dream?

RISING SUNS’ UNLIKELY FINALS DREAM IS ALIVE

In the modern, intense footy media landscape, there aren’t many stories that fly under the radar.

But is the rise of the Gold Coast Suns one of them?

After completing consecutive upset wins over top four candidates Sydney and Fremantle, Stuart Dew’s men are 4-5.

That equals their second-best ever start to an AFL season, behind their 7-2 run in 2014, which came to a crashing halt a few weeks later with Gary Ablett’s shoulder injury against Collingwood.

The Suns have famously been better in the season’s opening months under Dew than once winter hits - 3-2 in 2018 plus 3-1 in 2019 and 2020 - but conceding their lowest ever score on Sunday, they totally shut down the high-flying Dockers.

BRM Note: Please do not post full articles, It is against board rules. Respect my authority

Good article by Damian Barrett

BARRETT: A 'proper AFL club'? Come on, Suns, make me believe
Gold Coast might just be growing up, and Stuart Dew might still be the Suns' coach in 2023, writes Damian Barrett

It’s great getting a little more media coverage this week.. but doesn’t everyone reckon it’s just very superficial. Seems like just about every media person talks about the same 2-3 things. Like they can’t watch us play and come up with their own opinions.

The common themes
  • Touk Miller elite 2 way runner
  • Izak rankine has suddenly improved his work rate (like they can tell from Melbourne on TV..)
  • defence is full of no names but solid
  • chol and casboult are legit.

Those things are all great, but I’d really love if they went a little deeper beyond the groupthink.

I would love for one of them to talk about Witt’s complete dominance in the ruck and that he is having a legit all Australian year.

Or Charlie Ballard is 10th for spoils / 1%ers and 7th for total intercepts in the league.

Or highlight Ben Ainsworth’s great start to the season - his insane work rate, his new goal kicking routine and much improved accuracy. Plus top 15 in the league for goal assists and inside 50 tackles.

Or mention that we’ve had this good start to the season whilst playing with young / inexperienced Davies, rowell, budarick, rosas, sharp even farrar.

And it’s not just Ben king out of the side.
Bowes, lukosius, hollands, Flanders, markov, Corbett, Andrew, moyle are a handy bunch waiting for their opportunity / coming back from injury.

Can’t get too down on the commentary, because it’s largely been positive. It just grinds my gears because it seems like they’ve watched the last 2 games and made up their minds on that - no back story - no sense of the little things that are so important to the club.

It’s great getting a little more media coverage this week.. but doesn’t everyone reckon it’s just very superficial. Seems like just about every media person talks about the same 2-3 things. Like they can’t watch us play and come up with their own opinions.

The common themes
  • Touk Miller elite 2 way runner
  • Izak rankine has suddenly improved his work rate (like they can tell from Melbourne on TV..)
  • defence is full of no names but solid
  • chol and casboult are legit.

Those things are all great, but I’d really love if they went a little deeper beyond the groupthink.

I would love for one of them to talk about Witt’s complete dominance in the ruck and that he is having a legit all Australian year.

Or Charlie Ballard is 10th for spoils / 1%ers and 7th for total intercepts in the league.

Or highlight Ben Ainsworth’s great start to the season - his insane work rate, his new goal kicking routine and much improved accuracy. Plus top 15 in the league for goal assists and inside 50 tackles.

Or mention that we’ve had this good start to the season whilst playing with young / inexperienced Davies, rowell, budarick, rosas, sharp even farrar.

And it’s not just Ben king out of the side.
Bowes, lukosius, hollands, Flanders, markov, Corbett, Andrew, moyle are a handy bunch waiting for their opportunity / coming back from injury.

Can’t get too down on the commentary, because it’s largely been positive. It just grinds my gears because it seems like they’ve watched the last 2 games and made up their minds on that - no back story - no sense of the little things that are so important to the club.
They’d have to actually watch our games and do their job for that to happen.

We’ll be right back in the firing line the moment we have an off game (which IMO we are just about due for given how young we still are) and everyone will be coming out of the woodwork saying ‘see I knew it, the Suns are still the Suns lol’.

We’ll be right back in the firing line the moment we have an off game (which IMO we are just about due for given how young we still are) and everyone will be coming out of the woodwork saying ‘see I knew it, the Suns are still the Suns lol’.
100%

Matthew Lloyd is waiting for this moment.. for the last week and a half he’s been banging on about our 29% winning rate after Easter almost daily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for Suns fans living on the Gold Coast, do you guys get much media coverage up there? I know the bulletin was a sponsor or something early days, so interested to hear if there is much in the paper there and if the Suns get a regular slot during the sports section of the Gold Coast nightly news too? A lot of the stuff posted on here tends to be from the Melbourne media.

Surely that rumour going around about Ellis is fake? I havent seen any source for it.
Dale Ellis
khzMfoYXajs.png
commented on Sharon Haze's post: "It’s just a rumour no truth to it at all"

Surely that rumour going around about Ellis is fake? I havent seen any source for it.
We're not even going to entertain the rumor unless broken by a reputable media source

I don't think I need to say anything else

'It's been a big fortnight for the footy club' - Jarrod Witts

THE RUN HOME WITH ANDY & GAZEY
Suns skipper Jarrod Witts joined the boys off the back of wins over Sydney and Fremantle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back