Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soon to be Suns academy member Kai Rischitelli will be attending the QClash at the Gabba tonight and I'm fairly sure they are going to roll out the red carpet for the Rischitelli family. It seems like Brisbane are trying to get in early in an attempt to give themselves a chance to convince Kai that he should choose Brisbane over us when the time comes to decide which father-son option he pursues in seven years from now. Although Michael and the family are currently based in Burleigh (according to that article) don't be surprised if the Lions offer him a position up there in a few years from now. Born and raised on the Gold Coast as well as being a Suns fan his whole life, we know where Kai's heart truly lies...

2fc83fd963f252563db3f546e3505491

Spoke to MR's parents a couple of years back - no chance in hell they will let another family member play for us.

Very acrimonious departure.

What is his extension, like 450-500k you'd think? In 3 years time he could be woefully underpaid
Looks very good so far. Hopefully we gave him a reasonable contract, in keeping with our new strategy of not overpaying.

Or a contract with plenty of triggers, maybe, if he wants to back himself in.

As long as we learned from the whole Bowes/Brodie/Wright fiasco!

Looks very good so far. Hopefully we gave him a reasonable contract, in keeping with our new strategy of not overpaying.

I remember it coming out that Rowell decided to commit to us on his initial contract extension for considerably less than he could have made after his first five games and that felt like a real sign of his character/how locked in he was. I'd argue something very similar has occurred here with Humphrey where he has shown the footy club and his teammates that he is a man of integrity that is fully committed to the club long term.

There's always the option to renegotiate if it becomes bleedingly obvious that Bailey is being underpaid but committing to us for an extra four years means he'll be pretty close to free agency status when that contract is close to expiring so I wouldn't be surprised to see him add another two years at some point just to fulfil the eight year requirement for FA status.

Such an exciting talent and I'm absolutely stoked to have him until at least 2028!!

It came with Humphrey declaring emphatically that he wanted to prove that loyalty with a long-term deal, adamant the club’s future is with coach Stuart Dew.

It is yet another show of faith in the Suns’ direction and the club’s capacity to help with welfare given Humphrey’s own battle with homesickness.

Humphrey has been a public mental health advocate in the wake of best friend Riley Pearce’s suicide two years ago as he battles his own issues with depression and anxiety.

But as he told the Herald Sun on Friday morning a day after that deal was brokered by agent Michael Oakes, he couldn’t be happier on the Gold Coast.

“I just thought it was the perfect time. Half the reason I did it for so long was to show the boys I am actually in. I can see this club going forward and heading in the perfect direction. I want to be part of their first bit of success, hopefully finals football. To sign on long-term shows a bit more loyalty than two years,” he said.

“I had my own process with it and had a really good chat with my family and it was the right thing to do to sign on long-term. It gives me security and I love the club and the coach and players so I just thought it was the perfect thing to do.

“I went out to dinner with the lads the other night and sat at the table and thought, “These are my actual mates now, not just my footy friends. So I figured it out and went back to my room and the next morning rang my manager and they got it done.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This kid is made of the right stuff. He never has and never will wet the bed. ******* love ya HUMPER!:bearface:

“I went out to dinner with the lads the other night and sat at the table and thought, “These are my actual mates now, not just my footy friends. So I figured it out and went back to my room and the next morning rang my manager and they got it done.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Aww. This is possibly the most wholesome thing I have ever read on here.

The deal has performance bonuses plus a CBA increase clause and will reflect his spectacular upside as an explosive ball winner — who capped that rise with the matchwinning goal against the Western Bulldogs.

(From Herald Sun)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The deal has performance bonuses plus a CBA increase clause and will reflect his spectacular upside as an explosive ball winner — who capped that rise with the matchwinning goal against the Western Bulldogs.

(From Herald Sun)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Perfect sort of deal. Encourages him to continue to evolve and perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's still probably upset that Ben King punched him d4ca4c0609dced7a72d940ce72cdc24f.jpg

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty sure I heard he was expecting to get a very high salary for a pretty low paying job straight out of playing for us, which added a lot to the bitterness towards the suns.
We truly were every player's favourite high performance superfund weren't we

Last edited:
Pretty sure I heard he was expecting to get a very high salary for a pretty low paying job straight out of playing for us, which added a lot to the bitterness towards the suns.
Even if that's true, Kai will find his way into our academy at some point over the next 2-3 years and that will force Riska to be around the club again. Then we'll have a good 5-6 years to mend the fence with him before Kai has to make any kind of decision. Time tends to heal all wounds and I dare say our run up the ladder is going to coincide perfectly with Kai's most memorable years of junior footy. The same can be said about Kai's Broadbeach teammate Harry Malecski if Nick feels any bitterness towards us after the way it ended.

Even if that's true, Kai will find his way into our academy at some point over the next 2-3 years and that will force Riska to be around the club again. Then we'll have a good 5-6 years to mend the fence with him before Kai has to make any kind of decision. Time tends to heal all wounds and I dare say our run up the ladder is going to coincide perfectly with Kai's most memorable years of junior footy. The same can be said about Kai's Broadbeach teammate Harry Malecski if Nick feels any bitterness towards us after the way it ended.
He might not end up in our academy. If he does feel bitterness he might steer his kids away.

He might not end up in our academy. If he does feel bitterness he might steer his kids away.
Time will tell. Seems a bit selfish to restrict your son's development by not accepting a place in the academy but I guess that would be a clear sign of bitterness towards us. I'm not convinced it's actually true but if that were to play out in a few years from now then it would be tangible evidence. Would be a real shame considering Kai is in line to be our first ever father-son pick.

That’s weird given he was absolutely cooked for the last 3 years of his career.

Thanks KingCoasters.

Being 'cooked' doesn't mean that things that were promised, and weren't delivered = angry ex-player.

1. Are these kids actually any good except having former AFL players as fathers?
2. Our academy is starting to produce enough kids regardless.

1. Are these kids actually any good except having former AFL players as fathers?
2. Our academy is starting to produce enough kids regardless.
1. Hard to know at this stage. Rischitelli Jr and Malceski Jr are playing U10s together for Broadbeach but there's not much intel at that age unless you're a freak like Will Ashcroft was when we invited him to join our academy at 10 years of age. Both could end up being Brownlow Medallists or neither may end up being draftable but you don't just eliminate any possibility of getting them because no one is talking about them. That would be foolish.

2. We have no idea how fruitful our academy will be in 8 years from now (it may not even exist in the future) or where we'll be placed on the ladder. What we do know is that the father-son rule is a really powerful tool that can be used to speed up a rebuild / open a premiership window as we've seen just recently with Nick Daicos. The Pies finished 17th in 2021 when they drafted Nick Daicos as a F/S selection and less than two years later they are the premiership favourites. Imagine what the Magpies would look like right now if they didn't have their F/S players in Nick Daicos, Josh Daicos and Darcy Moore - arguably their three best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back