Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says who??

Put it this way I supported Richmond my whole life and when I moved up here I played for Gold Coast in the tac cup, have several mates still playing there, have worked for aflq (now linked with Suns) and am currently the coach of the disabled Queensland football team who have a massive amount to do with Gold Coast Suns. I am a loyal supporter so will always have a spot for Richmond in my life but Gold Coast I have been with from its initiation in 2009 and for that reason support them through and through.

Your welcome to have the opinion that one must support just the one team but I feel there are circumstances were two teams are acceptable.

Hell its like asking who do you love more your mum or dad?? Maybe if put to the barrel of a gun I could answer either way but isn't it just easier to say I love them both the same?
more than welcome here, mate. i'd say a fair percentage of suns supporters have a second team. nothing wrong with that, none of us grew up supporting the suns.

i recognise your name from back in the tac days (assuming your bigfooty username is similar). good to see you still around the GC footy circles.

I support a couple ... maybe 3. Suns #1 of course....
If you have a conn
I support a couple ... maybe 3. Suns #1 of course....
I mean in the sense of having an opinion about another club saying it's your own. Like saying "I am Suns supporter but also a Bulldogs supporters so i get to enjoy the premiership the same as if i was just a Dogs supporters"

I think those Specky Magee book made think like this. That brat had like 8 teams.

more than welcome here, mate. i'd say a fair percentage of suns supporters have a second team. nothing wrong with that, none of us grew up supporting the suns.

i recognise your name from back in the tac days (assuming your bigfooty username is similar). good to see you still around the GC footy circles.

Cheers mate yeah I was the one spraying the kicks all over the field ahha I am still involved in afl and love the game but don't play anymore. Lost a bit of the love for it and started doing ironmans and marathons which I now concentrate on. But still heavily involved in other aspects and have stuck with the Suns. Unfortunately though the originals have dropped like flies. Only got Rory flying the flag!!

I can't hate on Richmond. They have one of my favorite players.... Dion.... Come back.... I can change....

Haha yeah I was devastated he left, same with omeara. But at least I can watch Dion with some form of support. O'meara I want to see the best of but I also want to see hawthorn buried in grave that they dug themselves this off season lol

Suns member though - which should counts heaps .....not a member of those 'other' clubs..!

And yes I am a Suns member and not a Richmond member of that helps. Bring my disabled clients to every game and one of them hasn't missed a game since round 1 2011. He could show us all a thing or two about loyalty!!

And yes I am a Suns member and not a Richmond member of that helps. Bring my disabled clients to every game and one of them hasn't missed a game since round 1 2011. He could show us all a thing or two about loyalty!!
Need more of you guys .....

This is fair enough then. It's just you came onto the board with Richmond as your team on the side, only have a 100 odd posts, your name is literally Drama and you immediately started criticizing the club. Had all the makings of a troll. My apologies.

Says who??

Put it this way I supported Richmond my whole life and when I moved up here I played for Gold Coast in the tac cup, have several mates still playing there, have worked for aflq (now linked with Suns) and am currently the coach of the disabled Queensland football team who have a massive amount to do with Gold Coast Suns. I am a loyal supporter so will always have a spot for Richmond in my life but Gold Coast I have been with from its initiation in 2009 and for that reason support them through and through.

Your welcome to have the opinion that one must support just the one team but I feel there are circumstances were two teams are acceptable.

Hell its like asking who do you love more your mum or dad?? Maybe if put to the barrel of a gun I could answer either way but isn't it just easier to say I love them both the same?
Yeah nothing wrong with following two clubs. I've been a Richmond supporter all my life (had no choice it was Richmond or your out of the family) moved up to the Gold Coast from country Victoria in 2006 and have been a member of the Suns from day 1

This is fair enough then. It's just you came onto the board with Richmond as your team on the side, only have a 100 odd posts, your name is literally Drama and you immediately started criticizing the club. Had all the makings of a troll. My apologies.

Haha sorry I am a bit of a big footy stalker lol on it a lot but more just for the news and don't always comment. And Richmond was just in my picture as I think I signed up a long time ago well before Suns has a team. But yes the signs were there. Drama is actually just my computer login at school based off my name lol seemed a good enough name at the time.

And if you check majority of my posts last two years would be on Suns board I would imagine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha sorry I am a bit of a big footy stalker lol on it a lot but more just for the news and don't always comment. And Richmond was just in my picture as I think I signed up a long time ago well before Suns has a team. But yes the signs were there. Drama is actually just my computer login at school based off my name lol seemed a good enough name at the time.

And if you check majority of my posts last two years would be on Suns board I would imagine
Get a Suns Avatar - and you'll be fine. Captain Lynch, President Coch all the rage.... !

Get a Suns Avatar - and you'll be fine. Captain Lynch, President Coch all the rage.... !

Haha there you go I even made a Suns signed collector card as a joke for one of my clients. With me wearing the Suns outfit. Doesn't get more loyal!!!

He said it was his 3rd favourite Suns card (still couldn't beat Ablett and lynch ahha). I told him to hold onto it as its numbered one of one and I was very selective who I signed for hahahahha

That's what I love about my work, doesn't matter weather it is tac cup, vfl, afl or Auskick player. Put on a Suns Guernsey and it's good enough for them.

Haha there you go I even made a Suns signed collector card as a joke for one of my clients. With me wearing the Suns outfit. Doesn't get more loyal!!!

He said it was his 3rd favourite Suns card (still couldn't beat Ablett and lynch ahha). I told him to hold onto it as its numbered one of one and I was very selective who I signed for hahahahha

That's what I love about my work, doesn't matter weather it is tac cup, vfl, afl or Auskick player. Put on a Suns Guernsey and it's good enough for them.
Massively impressed ! Looking forward to your contributions to our discussion ...
(just one more small change - can we change Richmond to Gold Coast on your ID ??? - no pressure)

Nothing wrong with switch for a new club but supporting both at the same time and trying to have an unbiased opinion i can't buy. You gotta choice 1. I can't trust another "Suns" supporter who supports another club more.
In that case you need a new user name for a start..

You don't "gotta choice (choose?) 1" at all, that comments says more about your mentality than anything.

I consider myself a fan of Footy foremost, though was a passionate Cats supporter in my younger years in the late 80's and 90's. These days though I prefer to watch games involving teams that play an attacking and free flowing brand, and follow individual players closely who are in my fantasy footy sides, rather than just follow the Cats and their players.

I consider myself neutral when discussing footy-related topics, so at times I wish I could have a big footy account that didn't require to choose a favourite team! Often other posters assume you have a raging bias and are a troll, when really you just want to be able to comment and be welcome on all boards because you are just passionate about footy, and feel you have something worthwhile to add to the conversation.

Garlett has been struggling with home sickness for pretty much the entire duration of his time at the Suns, and he is a big family guy so obviously it would have been tough for him to move away from all that to the other side of the country. Just look at his social media to see all this. Obviously whatever has happened has shaken things up quite abit, to the point where his family feels as though they need him by their side in order to get through it(or vice versa). But from what we have seen of him, he seems like a very well-grounded, polite, strong valued, christian kid with good moral values. This having anything to do with him getting in trouble would be about as likely as Gaz being captain next year (not really, but you know what I mean).

I believe the way it works is we have de-listed him so he is no longer on our list, but we retain the rights to sign/draft him in the next 2 years (the time in which he would have been contracted to us) as he has quit mid-contract, assuming he wants to come back to the AFL. We can then trade him after we sign him. After 2 years though he is free to be drafted by anyone. Not sure about the money though? I don't think it counts to next seasons cap, but do we still have to pay him out?
That's great news if we get first dibs on Snoop should he wish to give it another go down the track. Hopefully he gets his personal and family issues sorted. Wish him all the best. Gossip about drug strikes is really uncalled for. Always struck me as a genuinely good kid who worked hard for his chance, but, and rightly so, he's put his family first above himself.

Mate stop being touchy I am a Gold Coast supporter (well both Richmond and Gold Coast). You know people are allowed to talk about subjects without everyone feeling they have to make it a club vs club argument. I love big footy but this is its major flaw. All everyone does is compare who is better and argue abou it. Let's try constructive discussion.

My point is that 6 players: Bennell, Garlett, krakour, summer and LIDDY (not caddy so calm down on that one) and Boston have either bailed on their contracts or misbehaved and been forced out of their contracts.

Garlett, krakour and Boston all would have had equity at other clubs and by walking ou Suns get nothing.

Bennell was a pick 2 and his behaviour pushed him to a late pick. He should and would have been worth a lot more if he didn't break his contract and take drugs.

Summer and LIDDY both walked and may not have had outside interest but regardless they have Suns no choice.

And other than Boston they all have something in common (from w.a or homesick/ go home factor) and Suns didn't learn their lesson once.
That's part of Clayton's infatuation with fast, athletic, skilful players IMO. Not a bad thing but yeah, need more kids with a solid, grounded attitude and work ethic, without the strong pull from home / culture that a lot of the boys have. More Harbrows and Steven Mays, less Nathan Krakouers. In the end it all comes down to the individual, and their circumstances. I applaud Snoop for being strong and honest enough to let the club know of his issues. Too many people don't open up and the problem gets worse and worse. For every one indigenous kid with these issues there's probably 10 non-indigenous kids with the same problem. The fact that the indigenous boys make up an inflated percentage of players in the AFL because they are so talented and wonderful to watch play the game, probably exacerbates the issue, together with the fact most of the Suns players are from interstate by necessity.

Yep, I think we all have clubs we have supported since kids, well before the Suns were even thought of... I'm as big a fan of the Suns as the next bloke but its pretty hard to turn off your support for your original club... be a bit easier if it was Richmond though haha..
It can take time to turn off the original club but it can happen. I supported Collingwood as a kid and when the Bears were born adopted them as my local and second team. When the Pies poached Nathan's Buckley that was the final nail in the coffin for me. I realised I loved the game more than any club, after all there would be no clubs without this wonderful game of ours. I've always wanted to see the game succeed in Queensland, and that act from Collingwood showed the true nature of the big clubs down south towards the game up here, they're not interested in it except for what they can get for themselves. Anyway that was the start of some strong Karma from the footy gods and Collingwood and Buckley were made to pay twice in GFs against the Lions. Then when the Suns started I've jumped on board to support the local club where I first started playing footy. It is possible to have more than one team depending on one's circumstances.

It is a lot easier to switch clubs when your previous club was Fitzroy.

I have gone from a team shafted by the AFL to one funded by the AFL. Spend more Suns, spend more!

Seems like Suns have changed their mind and said there are no restrictions on Garlett if he wants to play. So he can be drafted by a WA team next year if he decides to play on in the AFL

It is a lot easier to switch clubs when your previous club was Fitzroy.

I have gone from a team shafted by the AFL to one funded by the AFL. Spend more Suns, spend more!
Yeah, but it still took me 14 years. The Suns just happened to be starting at the time I was ready to adopt a new team. It also helped that an old Royboy, Scotty Clayton was choosing all the players for Gold Coast. I love Fitzroy & the Suns & I especially like seeing the Suns training in those shirts that look like old Fitzroy jumpers.

It can take time to turn off the original club but it can happen. I supported Collingwood as a kid and when the Bears were born adopted them as my local and second team. When the Pies poached Nathan's Buckley that was the final nail in the coffin for me. I realised I loved the game more than any club, after all there would be no clubs without this wonderful game of ours. I've always wanted to see the game succeed in Queensland, and that act from Collingwood showed the true nature of the big clubs down south towards the game up here, they're not interested in it except for what they can get for themselves. Anyway that was the start of some strong Karma from the footy gods and Collingwood and Buckley were made to pay twice in GFs against the Lions. Then when the Suns started I've jumped on board to support the local club where I first started playing footy. It is possible to have more than one team depending on one's circumstances.
Agree I was a North supporter for 30 years now they are just another team to be crushed under our heel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back