Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A bit of confidence and a bit more heart at times last season and you can add a solid 2-4 wins to the tally even with that makeshift team we threw out there.

But there does seem to be a confidence around the playing group this pre-season that is new. I don't know if it is Lynch and May taking over, or the guys we have brought in, or just having the bulk of the squad training well, but we seem to actually be thinking anything is possible with this squad because they are putting huge effort, whereas under Mckenna it was all about just getting games into these 'young stars' and the success will come automatically.
But its only early days so lets hope it keeps up once the players get back from the break.

A bit of confidence and a bit more heart at times last season and you can add a solid 2-4 wins to the tally even with that makeshift team we threw out there.

But there does seem to be a confidence around the playing group this pre-season that is new. I don't know if it is Lynch and May taking over, or the guys we have brought in, or just having the bulk of the squad training well, but we seem to actually be thinking anything is possible with this squad because they are putting huge effort, whereas under Mckenna it was all about just getting games into these 'young stars' and the success will come automatically.
But its only early days so lets hope it keeps up once the players get back from the break.

I think the playing group can see... all the peahearts in Jaeger and Dion are gone.
All the deadwood in Russell Cameron tape etc

Everyone left minus shaw and lemmens could genuinely be top 22 material

It's finally game on.
I think everyone's come to the conclusion tommy lynch and 2MP are freaks kick in down there throats

Throw in 3 strong mature guys in Barlow Lyons and Hanley all probably inside our top 12 players and we're laughing

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett and Jarrod Harbrow ask not to be included in Gold Coast Suns leadership group
e1b4a7c80d5e8b3dd61c0380193f368e

Tom Boswell, Gold Coast Bulletin
January 25, 2017 12:00am
e1b4a7c80d5e8b3dd61c0380193f368e

SENIOR Suns Gary Ablett and Jarrod Harbrow won’t hold any official leadership roles in 2017 after making themselves unavailable.

Ablett and Harbrow are two key figures missing from the seven-man Gold Coast leadership group, headed up by co-captains Tom Lynch and Steven May.

Suns coach Rodney Eade revealed both had requested not to be considered eligible for any voting by the players for the group.

Instead Ablett, who relinquished the captaincy in late November, and Harbrow want to focus on their rehabilitation from their respective shoulder and ankle injuries while helping to usher in a new era of youth at the helm of the club.

But Eade said it wouldn’t diminish the influence the respected pair have on the group as they look to help guide new leaders Touk Miller and Michael Barlow and provide support to veterans Michael Rischitelli, Matt Rosa and David Swallow.

“Gary and I spoke about it when he said he might relinquish the captaincy and he said he would like to concentrate on coming back from a second shoulder injury,” Eade said.

“Having said that, he wants to help Tom and Steven in their leadership and be a mentor and certainly help with the leadership in some way.

“He is still going to have an influence on the guys.”

Harbrow took on a leadership role at the club for the first time last year after previously declining to take on an official position.

But Eade said the 28-year-old wanted to focus on getting his ankle right while also developing the Jarrod Harbrow Leadership academy

“Jarrod’s got a problem with his ankle and a couple of other things he is working on off-field so he just felt like he wanted to concentrate on getting his body right and work on some things,” Eade said.

“I think with extra meetings and extra time committed to that stuff, he didn’t want to be adding more.

“But he still wants to lead the way he does with the way he goes about his training and his ability to influence players.

The Suns had a 10-man leadership group in 2016 that included the now-retired Nick Malceski and departed Jaeger O’Meara and Dion Prestia.

Eade said he felt seven was the right fit for the club this year and was pleased with the figures included.

“There is a good balance of experience and youth and four out of the seven are 25 or younger so it’s good for the future in that aspect,” Eade said.

Gold Coast Suns leadership group:
Tom Lynch. Age: 24. Games: 102

Steven May Age: 25. Games: 88

Michael Rischitelli Age: 31. Games: 211

Matt Rosa Age: 30. Games: 183

Michael Barlow Age: 29. Games: 126

David Swallow Age: 24. Games: 79

Touk Miller Age: 20. Games: 40

Gold Coast Suns co-captain Steven May says Touk Miller has ability to become a skipper in the future
6bfdd87154f188fb53af4845fd9220b9

January 27, 2017 12:00am
Subscriber only
6bfdd87154f188fb53af4845fd9220b9

GOLD Coast Suns co-captain Steven May says gun midfielder Touk Miller has the potential to one day lead the AFL club.

May, who with teammate Tom Lynch has taken the reins at the Suns from Gary Ablett, said Miller had the capacity to eventually succeed him in the job after being included in the team’s 2017 leadership group.

“I no doubt see him as a potential leader of the club later on down the track,” May said.

“You can tell that’s probably one of his goals with his attitude and the way he carries himself. He makes the club proud on and off the field.”

Miller, 20, captained Victoria Metro and the Calder Cannons in 2014 and was part of the Suns emerging leaders in 2016.

The man himself admitted he held dreams of captaining a club but was taking it one step at a time as he transitions into his new leadership role.

“I’m really honoured to be in the position I’m in,” Miller said.

“It’s only my third year I’m going into so it’s nice knowing your peers have voted you into a leadership role. They obviously see something in me which is a quality they want to follow. I just have to learn from the captains we do have.”

Miller has shown the characteristics of a leader but it was his work away from football that convinced coach Rodney Eade he was ready.

Miller, one of two new faces to the Suns’ leadership group alongside Michael Barlow, had an ankle reconstruction in the off-season and was expected to still be in rehabilitation at this stage.

But Miller is a month ahead of schedule in a feat coach Rodney Eade said showed exactly why he garnered votes from more than half the Gold Coast playing group when the team decided who their leaders would be.

“It was very evident early on how he went about it and his capacity to compete and his capacity to get the best out of himself,” Eade said.

“That was further enhanced over the summer break where he had an ankle reconstruction. It’s a pretty big operation. But he worked that hard in the off-season that when he came back his fitness levels were extremely high.

“He really should have been another three or four weeks behind where he is at the moment physically but he has been able to get back and join in training and now he’s raring to go.

“It really showcases the way he goes about it and it’s certainly a great example to everyone else.

“He is very highly regarded. He is highly professional, gets the most out of himself, works hard, leads by example in many facets.”

Jarrod Witts and Dan Currie battle to be Suns No.1 ruckman as Tom Nicholls battles to return from injury
86e02ad8815ec57e13e0d58fb60eb085

January 27, 2017 12:00am
Subscriber only
86e02ad8815ec57e13e0d58fb60eb085

THE door has opened for ruckmen Jarrod Witts or Dan Currie to secure a place in the Gold Coast Suns’ Round 1 team with Tom Nicholls battling to overcome injury.

Nicholls had knee surgery at the end of last season but has suffered multiple setbacks since.

In a run of bad luck, the 24-year-old hurt his calf in the off-season and re-injured it before Christmas before also hurting his hip flexor.

Former Collingwood tall Witts and Currie, who arrived at the end of 2015 from North Melbourne, are going toe-to-toe in an effort to fill the void and so far coach Rodney Eade just can’t split the pair.

“Tom’s a fair bit behind the eight-ball,” Eade said.

“He had a couple of minor injuries and is still in the rehabilitation program.

dd764f485447d8efeb6ac12cd08a2c73

Tom Nicholls has had multiple injury setbacks over recent months. Picture: Regi Varghese.
“So he has really given the others a head start on him.

“Witts and Currie are both training exceptionally well and are very competitive. They are both going like two bulls at it which is great to see.

“I would say it’s an even race at the moment between those two.

“It will be interesting to see how their form goes over the pre-season games.”

Eade said Nicholls only began running two weeks ago and will likely be unable to play any games until late March. Gold Coast are due to open their season against Brisbane on March 25.

“He’s been hitting a few walls at this stage but hopefully he gets a reasonable shot at it now,” Eade said.

Nicholls began last year as the preferred ruckman over Currie but was briefly overtaken in 2016 before the latter suffered multiple hand fractures.

b9dced592ca8b12d3e7384d3a574c6c8

Dan Currie (right) is fighting to become the club’s leading ruckman. Picture: David Clark.
Gold Coast have been rocked by widespread injury over the past two years but with nearly the full team fit and healthy Eade said competition for places was at a premium.

“It gives us a great chance to select on form – with players knocking down the door with the way they train and the way they play – rather than picking blokes on availability so it’s pleasing,” Eade said.

“They are training really well. The players already in the organisation, the four from other clubs and the guys we drafted are all making an impression

Ability to return from injury will determine Gold Coast midfielder Michael Rischitelli’s future
ee796ebd67865d7a9fead262f49c0c1c

January 28, 2017 12:00am
Subscriber only

GOLD Coast Suns leader Michael Rischitelli says his ability to return from a serious knee injury will determine whether he plays beyond 2017.

Rischitelli ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Gold Coast’s Round 16 clash against Brisbane last year and is hopeful of returning to football mid-season.

The 31-year-old is out of contract at the end of this year and said how successfully he returns from the injury would decide whether he played a 14th season in the AFL.

“You want to play footy as long as you can,” Rischitelli said.

“If my body is going good, my knee is feeling fine and I’m getting a kick, yeah, but we will wait and see how it unfolds.

“I have an idea of what I want to do but I can put that on the backburner for now.

“I’m not too fussed thinking about that sort of stuff right now – I have to put so much effort into my body.

“I think about it occasionally. I have a few things in the workshop but we will see what happens.”

Rischitelli is no stranger to injury. The respected Suns figure was considering retiring after a 2012 season where he battled a mystery leg injury he later discovered was hamstring tendinitis.

But despite Rischitelli being devastated by his knee injury last season, the midfielder never doubted that he would come back.

“My other one was I was probably thinking about retiring just because of the fact I didn’t really know what was going on with my hamstring,” Rischitelli said.

“That was harder to take than this because I knew this time exactly what I did so I can move on quickly and know what I need to do to get back.”

Rischitelli is progressing through a large volume of training in his rehabilitation, which has included straight-line running, cycling, trampolining and gymnastics type of work.

“I’m trying to get that springy mechanism back into my knee because my brain has had to get rewired with where I put my feet and how high I have to lift it to push off, land and all that sort of stuff.

“I have to rewire that aspect of it and it’s taken a while to get to where I’m at now but I’m feeling like all the muscles around it are working pretty good.”

Ability to return from injury will determine Gold Coast midfielder Michael Rischitelli’s future

January 28, 2017 12:00am
Subscriber only

GOLD Coast Suns leader Michael Rischitelli says his ability to return from a serious knee injury will determine whether he plays beyond 2017.

Rischitelli ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Gold Coast’s Round 16 clash against Brisbane last year and is hopeful of returning to football mid-season.

The 31-year-old is out of contract at the end of this year and said how successfully he returns from the injury would decide whether he played a 14th season in the AFL.

“You want to play footy as long as you can,” Rischitelli said.

“If my body is going good, my knee is feeling fine and I’m getting a kick, yeah, but we will wait and see how it unfolds.

“I have an idea of what I want to do but I can put that on the backburner for now.

“I’m not too fussed thinking about that sort of stuff right now – I have to put so much effort into my body.

“I think about it occasionally. I have a few things in the workshop but we will see what happens.”

Rischitelli is no stranger to injury. The respected Suns figure was considering retiring after a 2012 season where he battled a mystery leg injury he later discovered was hamstring tendinitis.

But despite Rischitelli being devastated by his knee injury last season, the midfielder never doubted that he would come back.

“My other one was I was probably thinking about retiring just because of the fact I didn’t really know what was going on with my hamstring,” Rischitelli said.

“That was harder to take than this because I knew this time exactly what I did so I can move on quickly and know what I need to do to get back.”

Rischitelli is progressing through a large volume of training in his rehabilitation, which has included straight-line running, cycling, trampolining and gymnastics type of work.

“I’m trying to get that springy mechanism back into my knee because my brain has had to get rewired with where I put my feet and how high I have to lift it to push off, land and all that sort of stuff.

“I have to rewire that aspect of it and it’s taken a while to get to where I’m at now but I’m feeling like all the muscles around it are working pretty good.”
If it is Rischa's last season it would be a great end to his career to finish playing finals.

If it is Rischa's last season it would be a great end to his career to finish playing finals.
That comment sounds very self serving, like when I say to Mrs Bigun here is some new Victoria's Secret items I picked up for you.......no need to thank me, you're welcome

Nah, I could have sworn he chose the Tigers because he rated their list highly and that it wasn't about the money, and they were barely offering more/the same as us depending on who you talked to. :drunk::rolleyes:

I wonder how much more they could have offered him for Rocket to consider it so easily unmatchable? He would have been on what? 400-600K-ish already. I wonder how much of a raise we offered him to stay?

Oh well, good on him for grabbing a pay packet like that while it was on offer. I can't say I wouldnt have done the same thing. And thanks for pick6!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back