Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOUGH LOVE THE KEY TO MATERA'S REJUVENATION
Before Brandon Matera takes to the MCG for his 100th AFL game, Gold Coast skipper Tom Lynch writes an exclusive column for Aflplayers.com.au ahead of his mate’s milestone.

It’s bloody tough to play 100 games of AFL footy, so I’m incredibly proud of Brandon ahead of his achievement.

We played our 50th games together over in Perth so that was a nice moment to share with him and we lived together for a few years.

With both of us being a part of the club’s first season, I remember being around a cheeky 17-year-old fella who always had a smile on his face. He was always one of the more welcoming players from the start.

Whenever we practiced set shots at training, he’d always grab a ball and head straight to the boundary to snap a few from ridiculous angles.

Occasionally, he’d get told off by Ken Hinkley who would encourage Brandon to nail the shots in front of goal that he’s more likely to get on game day. He copped a fair bit of ribbing from Kenny for that.

For those that don’t know him, he’s cheeky and loves to have a little laugh but he’s one of the more caring guys on the list. He’s the one who gets along with all of the players.

If you’re having a bad game or are a bit down during the week, he’d be the first to check in and ask if everything is alright.

Early days, his training wasn’t at the highest standard — which isn’t unusual for a young player — and he would play patches of good footy but the consistency wasn’t quite there.

Since Rocket has come in, he’s been a bit harder on Brandon and left him out of the side a few times and that’s proved to have worked because Brandon has come in played some of the best footy of his career this season.

Besides his obvious talent, Rocket kept him in the reserves for an extra week or two when he could’ve brought him in and that’s helped him mature and realise he needs to train hard to play well.

It’s not as if Brandon didn’t come back in good nick. He had the best pre-season he’s had since being at the club and in the last two years, his mindset has really changed.

Because he didn’t get the rewards for working and training so hard, he was a bit disappointed to not play in Round 1.

To his credit, he didn’t sulk and he put himself in a really good position to perform and is reaping the rewards now.

On the back of his best pre-season, he was disappointed to not play in the seniors straight up but Rocket told him that he can either put his head down and get back into the team or he can sulk about it.

He eventually played such good footy in the reserves that Rocket couldn’t not pick and he’s brought a lot of that to the top level.

Everyone gets frustrated when they’re not getting a game especially when you think you’re in good form, but Brandon used that as motivation to force himself back into the side.

We’ve had a fairly up and down year but Brandon is playing his most consistent footy of his career. He’s more clear than ever on what he needs to do to play his best footy for him and the team.

He’s always been one to snap a goal or use the footy well but if there’s one thing he’s improved on the most throughout his 100 games it would be his work rate on game day.

That AFL-level work rate in the forward half of the ground, which Ash Prescott, the forward line coach, has really drummed into him, has increased through the roof since his time at the Suns.

In our time together, we’ve become really close and I’ve learned that his skills aren’t limited to the footy field either — he’s a pretty handy golfer too and is way better than me so I steer clear of him on the golf course.

It’s been a hard fought seven years and I can’t wait to run out with him on the MCG against the Hawks. It’s a big milestone for him, and he deserves it after all the work he’s put into his career.

#contractyear?

Thanks for posting that
Well we have certainly gone harder, way harder than Vic clubs would but given our unique Gold Coast environment with the events of the last 3 years at both the Suns/Titans and our continued rebuilding of culture i can live with it and overall i applaud it.

With these things u will never please everybody.

I think it's the right stance to take and that other clubs have gotten it wrong in going too soft. It's about as serious an issue as you can get. Putting other people in danger in the most obvious way.

Finally McPherson comes up in a press conference. Journalist all over the fact he's BOG almost every week in NEAFL.
Prescott sounded like he thinks elevation of Brooksby was mistake and McPherson will be elevated soon?
Please be so.
As much as I'd love to see Darcy elevated, I'm concerned our stocks of KPPs are currently more vulnerable to depletion through injury than our mediums and smalls. I think the club might be just monitoring where we are at for a while before deciding on promoting Darcy.
Makes me wonder who we might target with our first pick in the draft this year, best available mid or a tall like Jarrod Brander? You'd think players like Keegan and Jarrod Grant might be on the way out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven May will be Gold Coast’s biggest retention coup when he recommits to the club
STEVEN May will be the Suns’ biggest retention coup when he recommits to the club in the coming weeks.

Although former captain Gary Ablett’s future is still not decided, May was the priority signature for the Suns this year.

His indication to the club that he wants to say is the most significant news since Ablett was named as the club’s first high profile recruit.

Tom Lynch’s deal last year was also a major boost but the co-captain was never going anywhere while negotiations with May have been far more complicated.

He was in hot demand from several Victorian clubs and his delays in signing Gold Coast’s contract offer sent the rumour mill into overdrive.

He was said to be waiting to see a sign the club could become competitive while other reports claimed he wanted to know the fate of coach Rodney Eade.

But Eade’s future will not be decided until the end of the season and Melbourne clubs have been told the key defender is not on the market and intends to re-sign with the Suns.

Had May walked out, the hopes of re-signing Lynch when he came out of contract at the end of next year would have been far more difficult.

The pair are the glue that binds the club together and the fear was should one or both leave it would create a domino effect.

Once the May deal is finalised CEO Mark Evans will start to look more closely at the make-up of his football department for next year.

Eade and all his assistant coaches are out of contract and it is understood their future is not linked to a maiden finals appearance.

Evans has already stated he is content to wait.

“My view is always let football shine for as long as you can … having only seen the nine or 10 matches myself so far I’d rather let it play out,” Evans said at the weekend.

Damian Barrett, yes Damian Barrett has given some good news on the Suns, saying May's manager is on the Gold Coast to finalise the deal to keep May at the club. Clubs have been told last week that May will be resigning

Damian Barrett, yes Damian Barrett has given some good news on the Suns, saying May's manager is on the Gold Coast to finalise the deal to keep May at the club. Clubs have been told last week that May will be resigning
Noooooo May's resigning :( I hope he's just resigning as captain ;) and re-signing to stay with the Suns

Maysie is such a natural leader.Tommy Lynch not so much.While Stevey has gone to another level this year Lynchy hasn't.I think we can be realistic about that.You can't bring up the "double triple teamed" because every great forward has to deal with that.Tom will be a great though but you just wonder if giving Maysie the capataincy wouldn't be a bad idea for both of them?

Maysie is such a natural leader.Tommy Lynch not so much.While Stevey has gone to another level this year Lynchy hasn't.I think we can be realistic about that.You can't bring up the "double triple teamed" because every great forward has to deal with that.Tom will be a great though but you just wonder if giving Maysie the capataincy wouldn't be a bad idea for both of them?
I agree to this, Stevie is a natural leader, he commands the group really well. Id make him solo captain and Lynchy VC.

Write up on the players association website on Jarryd Lyons.
TR051216MW00715-e1497399084812-760x438.jpg

SUNS EXPERIENCE IS 'DIFFERENT TO WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE'
By Brayden May Jun 15, 2017

When Jarryd Lyons arrived at the Gold Coast Suns last year he didn’t know what to expect.

The Queensland club had battled on the field, and off it, appeared resigned to losing the likes of Jaeger O’Meara and Dion Prestia.

Upon walking inside the club’s four walls, however, everything was different to what had been suggested.

“Before I came to the Coast everyone said the culture of the club was poor,” Lyons told Aflplayers.com.au.

“But I’ve been nothing more than impressed. The boys have worked really hard and that was obvious from day one of pre-season.

“Obviously you hear things in the media, and you can speculate, but it’s definitely different to what I thought it would be like.”

sunscamp.jpg

If it wasn’t for coach Rodney Eade’s sales pitch, things could have quite easily been different.

Plenty of clubs were interested in the 24-year-old who had managed 20 games for the Crows in 2016. Yet, it was the Suns who eventually won the Victorian’s signature.

“I had a meeting with Rocket and all the club’s support staff. They spoke well and were open and honest with me about where the club was going and that sat well with me.

“It all happened so quickly during the second week of the trade period.”

After 55 games with the Crows, Lyons was intent on making a statement in the infancy of his Gold Coast career joining the likes of Michael Barlow, Pearce Hanley and Jarrod Witts as experienced heads to move to Metricon.

Making a statement can be a difficult task when switching clubs for the first time, but Lyons went the extra mile to get to know his new teammates.

“It was honestly like being a kid at their first day at school,” Lyons added.

“I came over a little bit earlier with Michael Barlow and trained with the younger boys just to make sure we got to know a few blokes before rocking up on the first full day of pre-season.

“You get into a routine at a footy club and that gets disrupted when you move. You have to start it again, and I’ve enjoyed doing that and changing it up.”

lyonspreseason.jpg

As his first pre-season in Queensland progressed, he grew closer to midfield coaches Matthew Primus and Dean Soloman.

They’re a duo Lyons says have had the greatest influence on his career since moving north.

“I’ve worked really closely with Matty and Dean, they’ve been terrific to bounce off,” the former Sandringham Dragon explained.

“They were both very good players in their own right, premiership players, so I’ve kept a really close relationship with them.”

But perhaps the biggest change he made in his move to the Suns was his position within the playing group.

Before having a career-best year in 2016, Lyons spent the majority of his time at the Crows on the fringes of selection but, after joining the Suns, was suddenly a leader.

“I went from basically middle of the pack to being a senior straight away. I wouldn’t say that position within the club was a challenge, I would say it was more of a shock.

“I just had to bring what I learned at the Crows and they’re a great club in that regard.”

Lyons has further improved his game this season, averaging 25.6 disposals — above last year’s average of 21.65 — which may put him on a pedestal as one of the best recruits in 2017.

And it’s that form which Lyons wants to continue for the remainder of the season, while seeing the team continue to improve.

“The way I’ve played in the last two weeks is the benchmark I’ve set for myself,” Lyons said.

“Prior to that, I had been playing like the team has — a little bit inconsistent. It would be nice to bridge that gap from your poor performances to your best.

“As a team, we are in no position to look forward beyond each week, but the evenness of the competition makes it almost a final for us each week from here on in.”

Write up on the players association website on Jarryd Lyons.
TR051216MW00715-e1497399084812-760x438.jpg

SUNS EXPERIENCE IS 'DIFFERENT TO WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE'
By Brayden May Jun 15, 2017

When Jarryd Lyons arrived at the Gold Coast Suns last year he didn’t know what to expect.

The Queensland club had battled on the field, and off it, appeared resigned to losing the likes of Jaeger O’Meara and Dion Prestia.

Upon walking inside the club’s four walls, however, everything was different to what had been suggested.

“Before I came to the Coast everyone said the culture of the club was poor,” Lyons told Aflplayers.com.au.

“But I’ve been nothing more than impressed. The boys have worked really hard and that was obvious from day one of pre-season.

“Obviously you hear things in the media, and you can speculate, but it’s definitely different to what I thought it would be like.”

sunscamp.jpg

If it wasn’t for coach Rodney Eade’s sales pitch, things could have quite easily been different.

Plenty of clubs were interested in the 24-year-old who had managed 20 games for the Crows in 2016. Yet, it was the Suns who eventually won the Victorian’s signature.

“I had a meeting with Rocket and all the club’s support staff. They spoke well and were open and honest with me about where the club was going and that sat well with me.

“It all happened so quickly during the second week of the trade period.”

After 55 games with the Crows, Lyons was intent on making a statement in the infancy of his Gold Coast career joining the likes of Michael Barlow, Pearce Hanley and Jarrod Witts as experienced heads to move to Metricon.

Making a statement can be a difficult task when switching clubs for the first time, but Lyons went the extra mile to get to know his new teammates.

“It was honestly like being a kid at their first day at school,” Lyons added.

“I came over a little bit earlier with Michael Barlow and trained with the younger boys just to make sure we got to know a few blokes before rocking up on the first full day of pre-season.

“You get into a routine at a footy club and that gets disrupted when you move. You have to start it again, and I’ve enjoyed doing that and changing it up.”

lyonspreseason.jpg

As his first pre-season in Queensland progressed, he grew closer to midfield coaches Matthew Primus and Dean Soloman.

They’re a duo Lyons says have had the greatest influence on his career since moving north.

“I’ve worked really closely with Matty and Dean, they’ve been terrific to bounce off,” the former Sandringham Dragon explained.

“They were both very good players in their own right, premiership players, so I’ve kept a really close relationship with them.”

But perhaps the biggest change he made in his move to the Suns was his position within the playing group.

Before having a career-best year in 2016, Lyons spent the majority of his time at the Crows on the fringes of selection but, after joining the Suns, was suddenly a leader.

“I went from basically middle of the pack to being a senior straight away. I wouldn’t say that position within the club was a challenge, I would say it was more of a shock.

“I just had to bring what I learned at the Crows and they’re a great club in that regard.”

Lyons has further improved his game this season, averaging 25.6 disposals — above last year’s average of 21.65 — which may put him on a pedestal as one of the best recruits in 2017.

And it’s that form which Lyons wants to continue for the remainder of the season, while seeing the team continue to improve.

“The way I’ve played in the last two weeks is the benchmark I’ve set for myself,” Lyons said.

“Prior to that, I had been playing like the team has — a little bit inconsistent. It would be nice to bridge that gap from your poor performances to your best.

“As a team, we are in no position to look forward beyond each week, but the evenness of the competition makes it almost a final for us each week from here on in.”
GUN

I reckon he is our best trade acquisition yet excluding players drafted with picks we traded for.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back