Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Figured I'd create a thread about various media postings about the Suns. Seems to be a few missed articles, and this will hopefully bring people up to speed. If you see a good article, throw it up!

Here's one interviewing McKenzie.

In an ominous warning to North Melbourne, who the Suns face at Metricon Stadium on Saturday night, the wingman says he is starting to feel comfortable in the big league.

"I think a lot of us young boys are starting to get the confidence up," McKenzie said.

"The first few games was just a case of us finding our feet.

"I think with all of us, we are just getting more confident with every game we play.

"And I also think we are starting to gel better with each other, which makes it easier."

McKenzie headed into the season with not as much fanfare as the likes of housemate David Swallow and Zac Smith.

But those in the know expected good things.

The Victorian product is 191cm and still growing as well as being quick as they come with a booming left foot.

"I think we are a big chance," McKenzie said. "As a group we will take something out of (the West Coast) game, which was a good effort. But the Kangaroos are a good side so it is important we play to our strengths and hopefully get a win."

McKenzie is rapidly becoming my favourite player. :D

Good thread - hopefully people can start posting the less important articles in here for a god read rather then starting a new thread for every time the words "Gold Coast" get mentioned in an article.

I like what T-Mac has said in the article about the boys starting to find their feet. After an ominous start to the season, they are starting to show a little bit of form, and slowly getting a bit more consistency in their game.

I'm excited for the future, both near and far!

Just caught this regarding Ablett and the belief that he's quite sore. From FoxSports.

He(Gary) said his body was not taking too much of a battering even though he looked sore and sorry at Sunday's recovery session at Kurrawa after giving his all against the Kangaroos.

"There's big parts of my game I could improve (and) I have to make sure I'm doing my bit for the team," he said.

"The body has pulled up well. I feel good at the moment. I'm definitely doing a lot more recovery.

"I'll be fine. I love being out there."

Other news, Dave looks good to play against the Hawks.

No.1 draft pick David Swallow rolled his ankle and was moving gingerly but was expected to play against Hawthorn in Launceston on Saturday.

...and Brennan didn't turn up at recovery. Probably that hit in the ribs.

Former Brisbane Lion Jared Brennan was also sore after the match and did not take part in recovery.

Talking about upcoming Hawks match. Dean Solomon shares some thoughts here.

And their biggest threat is Franklin. Vice-captain Nathan Bock will get him if he plays deep but the big Hawk has been getting up the ground a lot more this season.

Suns defensive coach Dean Solomon is tempted to hand the challenge to one of his youngsters. "I watched him (Franklin) play Geelong and he's playing all over the field ... he's almost playing as a fifth or sixth midfielder.

"We haven't spoken about Hawthorn yet but we may throw a young kid on him just to see how they go and to give them an experience."

When asked who in particular he would consider for such a big task, Solomon said:

"There are a couple you would like to give the opportunity to like Lynchy (Tom Lynch), (Jack) Hutchins and these guys.

"We might rotate two or three guys on him."

Also, just in an article from Hunt, he mentions how the boys turned up.

The boys were very focused yesterday morning when we arrived at the club and know we have to bounce back quickly.

Woo! I'm on a roll with this media stuff! :D

Reserves Knocking On the Door

Reserves coach Shaun Hart was glowing in his praise of the back six, saying Jack Hutchins, Charlie Dixon and Joel Wilkinson should all come into consideration after superb displays against Morningside.

"Hutchins we thought had his best game, Wilkinson is rapidly becoming an AFL player in terms of his smarts and his discipline and Dixon was super in his role developing as a centre half-back potentially,” Hart said.

"I believe if he had clunked most of the marks he had gone for at senior level, he'd be one of the best centre half-forwards in the competition," Hart said of Dixon.

"But we've tried him at centre half-back and he didn't look out of place against probably the premier centre half-forward in the competition (Kent Abey) and he's shown he can be used in either position."

We'd be silly to think Hawthorn revolves around Buddy because they have a super side."

Not sure I like Dixon being down back... but like the sound of another defender getting the smarts. Be good to see Joel Wilkinson get a shot!

Keep it up, Sunny. :D

Would love to see Hutchins get another game. Thought he has shown more than May. Wilkinson's an interesting one. May as throw him in for a game, but perhaps not this weekend against a strong Hawthorn team. D:

Maybe throw Dixon back for a game or so, to develop his knowledge of playing forward. Would like to see him played predominantly as a KPF though.

If Dixon wants to be a forward he has to hold his marks, if he can't then spoiling as a backman is the obvious choice, I guess its up to him to start holding onto the ball.

BTW he took a few nice grabs in the 2's on the weekend and Hutchens was a great rebounding defender, not sure if he is fast enough or tall enough for Buddy, but then again who is?

Some articles over the past couple of days.

SUNS WON'T ROLL OVER FOR DOGS

GOLD Coast defender Jarrod Harbrow has warned his former Western Bulldogs teammates they are in for a far more competitive match on Saturday than their lopsided round three encounter.

"I reckon we've improved a hell of a lot in all different areas. We're going to be a lot more competitive side than what you saw in round three and that starts from every player playing their role from the start," he said.

Fresh from a victory over Adelaide, Harbrow believes the Bulldogs would have gained confidence and expects coach Rodney Eade to have them primed for a first-quarter ambush.

"It's going to be a big match for us. We need to start well again and hold that. We can't just play for a half of footy again, that's just let us down too much."

Although the Suns are struggling to play four consistent quarters and thus win games, they have excelled in winning contested footy.

"There's not many games where we've got wiped out of the game with contested footy," Harbrow said.

Hope we're not setting ourselves up to fail with that article. Although I do think this is a great opportunity to see how far we've come since round 3. No doubt, we have improved.

---

SUNS THROW CAUTION INTO THE WIND

GUY McKenna has encouraged Gold Coast to take some risks as they seek their third win of the season against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

Since defeating the Brisbane Lions in round seven, Gold Coast has lost five straight matches but shown they can compete with competition heavyweights for extended periods of time.

With Gary Ablett and Michael Rischitelli leading the way with centre clearances, McKenna said the step to creating more scoring opportunities would come from playing with more adventure.

"We need to play fast footy because the more we do that the better we're going to be. As soon as we play safe we get gobbled up," McKenna said.

"We understand if we let teams off the hook it (conceding goals) can happen really quickly and the Doggies have some quality players.

"The season is only going to get harder and we need to embrace that and put a smile on our face and harden up and get better."

Confidence seems to be high this week! Feels like we're slowly building for something.

One article can be seen here.

It was less than four weeks ago the GC SUNS made the longest trip in the game and pushed the red-hot Eagles to within 18 points.

Bock said while a third trip to Perth this season (they also played West Coast in the NAB Cup) would be tough, he believed the young GC SUNS would be better for their recent experience.

"It's all part of AFL and you've got to get yourself up for these games and these long trips. We performed really well against West Coast last time and I think this week will be no different.

"Having played there twice already it gives the boys a bit of knowledge about the ground.

"It's longer than most grounds and the performance we put on the park last time against West Coast will give the boys a lot of confidence I think."

"I've had the opportunity to play on Pavlich many times and he's a great player and I'm looking forward to the challenge," Bock said.

"The body is feeling really good, I'm enjoying my footy and enjoying the challenges of being able to play on these good forwards each week. It's going to be a tough back end of the season but I'm mentally prepared and really looking forward to the challenges ahead."

--

McKenna saying some things about recent stuff too.

GOLD Coast Suns coach Guy McKenna insists the wide open spaces of Patersons Stadium suits the playing style of his young side.

They had dropped off in recent weeks before producing a much better performance against the Western Bulldogs at Metricon Stadium on Saturday in a match they probably should have won.

"Our review from last week is probably still up on the whiteboard. I just wrote up one word -- slow," McKenna said.

"We played slow footy against North Melbourne and Hawthorn.

The second half of the season promises to be brutal for the Suns as they have already used up their two byes for the year. But rather than shy away from the challenge, McKenna said the club would embrace it.

http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/favourite-sun-happy-to-stay/page-1/
Homesick Gold Coast SUNS teenager Harley Bennell has emphatically confirmed his desire to stay at GC SUNS, saying he hoped to be a 10-year player for the club.

The GC SUNS dropped Bennell for the following round against North Melbourne and his passage back to the seniors was confirmed this week with a seal of approval from Gold Coast SUNS leadership group.

The quietly spoken Bennell conceded what he did was wrong, and said he had done everything in the past month to win his teammates over.

"I copped it on the chin. I'm really happy just to get back. I've done everything I could," Benell said after training on Friday.

"I had to train hard and buy into the program. It's my dream to play AFL football and I'd love to stay at the club for 10 years."

He lived with fellow Western Australians David Swallow and Brandon Matera - who were both with the GC SUNS in the VFL last year - to begin with and has now moved in with Karmichael Hunt and Hunt's girlfriend Emma Harding.

"K has played a big role, he took me under his wing and his partner Emma as well, and I'm really looking forward to the next couple of months with them," Bennell said.

"I've been there a week now and I just feel at home every time I walk through the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC Suns Hopeful Ablett Will Face Tigers

Following the positive report, GC SUNS General Manager – Football Operations, Marcus Ashcroft said Ablett would be given every opportunity to prove himself fit to play against Richmond on Saturday.

“We believe Gary is a good chance to play this weekend.”

Ashcroft said the GC SUNS medical and fitness team will devise a plan with Ablett that, if he can meet, would make him available for selection for the match against Richmond.

“It’s fair to say that if Gary can get through the majority of Wednesday’s training session, we’d expect him to be available for selection this week.”

Gold Coast Suns captain Gary Ablett believes team can climb off canvas.

GARY Ablett is adamant his Suns side can climb off the canvas and beat Adelaide at Metricon Stadium this Saturday.

Suns skipper Ablett said there was no excuse for the Gold Coast's listless performance against Brisbane at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna publicly baked the Suns' effort and lack of basic skill in the 62-point loss to the Lions in Sunshine Stoush II, saying not many players "flew the flag" for the fledgling club.

Ablett was less kind.

"I don't think we could name one player that played well. We were all pretty disappointing," Ablett said after collecting a team-high 28 disposals.

"We'll review the game on Monday and I'm sure there'll be a lot of honesty.

"But we'll make sure we get ourselves up for next week because that's another winnable game at home . . . it would be good have a win at home next week. We haven't had a win there yet."

Ablett said the Suns could not use youth as an excuse for never being in the hunt against the Lions. He said the loss stung more than most this year.

"We have only won three games this year but I think there have been a lot of games where we have been competitive," he said.

"I think the lack of effort was pretty disappointing.

"It stings because you don't want to play that kind of footy. If we go out and have a crack and play the way we want to play and lose by 60 points, then so what . . . the scoreboard doesn't matter.

"But there's going to come a day when we've got to stop using that excuse (youth).

"These kids have got 15-20 games in them now.

"There's no doubt it's been a long season for a lot of the young kids but at the same time, if we stick to our structures, it should make the game easier. When you don't stick to your structures, you do a lot of chasing and it makes the game harder."

I'm glad that they aren't covering this up with youth. Will hopefully bounce back this week!

Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Ashcroft was on SEN. Check out his audio on the site.

Few points worth mentioning.

The Suns are currently in the process of signing their boys for contracts past 2013, and some even 2014. So expect some more contract renewals to get through and announced soon.

From the sound of it, the Warnock pick-up was solely to release Bock or Brown to go up forward. This wouldn't come as a surprise considering how good Bock was in the forward line for us. Expect Warnock to maybe be our Bock replacement, since Brown was promised he wouldn't be moved from defence.

The Suns will NOT be getting anyone in the PSD. The list will be completely 100% full after they use their two picks in the draft. End of first round compo pick I think and pick 24.

There was some talk about Caddy, but nothing really new to speak of. He said Caddy was already back on the coast and training, getting ready for the pre-season that starts on Monday. Seems happy, and there is no bad-blood whatsoever. Brennan in particular seems stoked that Caddy is still a Sun. ;)

The club really back themselves to be able to keep Josh, and are confident that getting regular games will help them secure him in the future. Also, plans are being developed in where Caddy is able to go home in every free moment he has off. Weekends, staying longer in Melbourne, etc. This is more-so than the standard player will get.

He also re-iterated that all players have plans in place to ensure they do not get homesick. Whether it be staying for a few extra days, heading home during days off, etc.

Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Ashcroft was on SEN. Check out his audio on the site.

Few points worth mentioning.

The Suns are currently in the process of signing their boys for contracts past 2013, and some even 2014. So expect some more contract renewals to get through and announced soon.

From the sound of it, the Warnock pick-up was solely to release Bock or Brown to go up forward. This wouldn't come as a surprise considering how good Bock was in the forward line for us. Expect Warnock to maybe be our Bock replacement, since Brown was promised he wouldn't be moved from defence.

The Suns will NOT be getting anyone in the PSD. The list will be completely 100% full after they use their two picks in the draft. End of first round compo pick I think and pick 24.

There was some talk about Caddy, but nothing really new to speak of. He said Caddy was already back on the coast and training, getting ready for the pre-season that starts on Monday. Seems happy, and there is no bad-blood whatsoever. Brennan in particular seems stoked that Caddy is still a Sun. ;)

The club really back themselves to be able to keep Josh, and are confident that getting regular games will help them secure him in the future. Also, plans are being developed in where Caddy is able to go home in every free moment he has off. Weekends, staying longer in Melbourne, etc. This is more-so than the standard player will get.

He also re-iterated that all players have plans in place to ensure they do not get homesick. Whether it be staying for a few extra days, heading home during days off, etc.

Talk is we will only use one live pick in pick 24 , the other 2 will be zone picks ( Allen and Sexton ) , does that leave us any picks in the psd ??

O'meara to become like Ablett

Or we can only hope ;)

Jaeger246a.jpg

Thought this deserved a mention:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125292/default.aspx

"GEELONG Falcons midfielder and small forward Devon Smith played one of the games of the NAB National Under-18 Championships when he had 28 disposals and kicked six goals in Vic Country's second-round game against Northern Territory."

"He said his most challenging interview at the Draft Combine was with Gold Coast, which gave him a form guide and told him to call the last 200m of a race. "It was challenging," he said, smiling. "

Interesting approach to recruiting players. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back