Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of leadership did Lynch and May provided? Captains not committed to the club equals s*** leaders.
For sure Lynch and May’s actions in abandoning ship shows they were s**t leaders. My question is more from someone who has never witnessed the day to day training and interaction of the players. Are Miles and GHS demonstrating better leadership on a day to day basis (eg in training drills, team meetings etc) than Lynch and May whilst they were here?

I've been told light years ahead completely changed dynamic of the group. Far more mature, self motivated and team 1st mentality.
That’s what I was hoping to hear!! It sometimes felt Lynch and May were given the captaincy not because they were the best men for the job but because they were the only ones we had.

To be fair those guys have come from successful teams where they knew what it took to be successful.
Lynch and May were figuring it out as they went.
For sure. Probably added to the pressure which made the decision to leave easier. Pity Sprocket and the little weirdo etc. weren’t able to prepare them better for the task ahead.

Article about leadership on AFL.com this morning.

Swallow, Miller, witts, fiorini in particular named.

Hanley also had a mention.

Take about commitment to the suns and to improving as a group most important aspects not who is the best player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Article about leadership on AFL.com this morning.

Swallow, Miller, witts, fiorini in particular named.

Hanley also had a mention.

Take about commitment to the suns and to improving as a group most important aspects not who is the best player.

Interesting comment from Dew in the article....

"That's going to be a real breath of fresh air, someone who'll give everything and do as much as we are in terms of recruiting players, retaining players, have their say in the program, the direction of the club, the strategy.”

Sounds like a cheeky little dig at our outgoing captains.

To be fair those guys have come from successful teams where they knew what it took to be successful.
Lynch and May were figuring it out as they went.
Definitely agree with this.

It's fantastic that we have mature age players that have come from successful systems and be leaders and really have us make strides in that direction. I'm really delighted to hear that combined with guys like Fiorini and Weller really stepping up. Our future is looking the best it ever has.

But it's an complete indictment on our foundation setup and how much we failed those players. Lynch and May especially had virtually no-one to learn off of which is why there is such a difference to then and now. The only mature age guys that showed an ounce of leadership out of our initial crop are Harbrow and Rischa. Ablett is/was a gun player but we all know he's no leader. Just sucks that we've had to wait eight years to get this space right. I really feel for David Swallow. With what he's been through I wouldn't begrudge him at all for leaving, similar to how I don't begrudge Lynch and May. But for him to stay really shows what he's all about. He's our Nathan Jones from Melbourne.

It's fantastic that we have mature age players that have come from successful systems and be leaders and really have us make strides in that direction. I'm really delighted to hear that combined with guys like Fiorini and Weller really stepping up. Our future is looking the best it ever has.

But it's an complete indictment on our foundation setup and how much we failed those players. Lynch and May especially had virtually no-one to learn off of which is why there is such a difference to then and now. The only mature age guys that showed an ounce of leadership out of our initial crop are Harbrow and Rischa. Ablett is/was a gun player but we all know he's no leader. Just sucks that we've had to wait eight years to get this space right. I really feel for David Swallow. With what he's been through I wouldn't begrudge him at all for leaving, similar to how I don't begrudge Lynch and May. But for him to stay really shows what he's all about. He's our Nathan Jones from Melbourne.
As much as I love Harbs and Rischa they aren't exactly the best examples of on field leaders. Having blokes like Bock and Brown working against them couldn't have helped either.

I really hope Fiorini can have a decent injury free run for once next year - he seems to be one the boys are willing to rally around.

Harbrow not a natural leader either. Really grown into the role with his seniors standing I think. But probably one of those guys more comfortable behind the scenes than out in front leadership.

HS article today ‘8 reasons to get excited about the Suns’.
- talent we’ve drafted
- no China
- home base available this year
- experienced recruits
- young talent Brodie, Bowes, Fiorini developing further
- no expectations etc
- capable of upsets
- a fit 2MP to own the forward line

Nothing really new and the journo Chris Cavanagh can expect the sack for even attempting to be positive about us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HS article today ‘8 reasons to get excited about the Suns’.
- talent we’ve drafted
- no China
- home base available this year
- experienced recruits
- young talent Brodie, Bowes, Fiorini developing further
- no expectations etc
- capable of upsets
- a fit 2MP to own the forward line

Nothing really new and the journo Chris Cavanagh can expect the sack for even attempting to be positive about us.

And right at the end of his article he predicts us to finish last. LOL. Hardly something to get excited about.

And right at the end of his article he predicts us to finish last. LOL. Hardly something to get excited about.
I had a laugh at the ending too.
But any article that doesn't mention Tasmania, or Victorian clubs chasing our talent is a positive one in their eyes!

Matt Thompson from AFL.com is just about the most annoying AFL person I can ever remember.
He however, thought Carlton was a shoe in for last in a recent podcast.

We're no worse than Freo St Kilda Carlton and Brisbane
Wouldn’t be surprised if we finish above all four with the worst list ever given a good run with injury. St. Kilda and Freo are very average, Brisbane are a few injuries from being a bottom 3 side, and Carlton are Carlton. Hopefully our blokes will learn how to hold onto a 6 goal lead at 3 quarter time at home, and how to back up after a great win.
The loss of Lynch and May is somewhat overstated IMO, especially going by their 2018 performances. Lynch only played the 10 matches, and Lynch and May only featured in 7 matches together, with both well down on their best form.
That said, it’s really going to come down to the improvement from our young guns if we’re going to move up the ladder. Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Bowes, Brodie, Fiorini, Weller simply must step up. Another year of stagnation and we’l finish bottom two more likely than not.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we finish above all four with the worst list ever given a good run with injury. St. Kilda and Freo are very average, Brisbane are a few injuries from being a bottom 3 side, and Carlton are Carlton. Hopefully our blokes will learn how to hold onto a 6 goal lead at 3 quarter time at home, and how to back up after a great win.
The loss of Lynch and May is somewhat overstated IMO, especially going by their 2018 performances. Lynch only played the 10 matches, and Lynch and May only featured in 7 matches together, with both well down on their best form.
That said, it’s really going to come down to the improvement from our young guns if we’re going to move up the ladder. Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Bowes, Brodie, Fiorini, Weller simply must step up. Another year of stagnation and we’l finish bottom two more likely than not.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-29/brutal-running-program-pushing-suns-to-the-limit

A bit worried that Alex Rigby will kill the players in our summer heat. Hopefully he knows what he is doing. On the other hand it's pleasing to hear that we train as hard as Geelong, Port. But then Barlow was saying the same things the last preseason. The injuries will be the key. If we can have a decent run with them we will be competitive. I can't wait for season to start.

Lynch re-injured his PCL round 3 so really not much contribution from him. Even before that he seemed unable to elevate in contest. It will be interesting to see how he recovers. Can he actually return to his best.

Last edited:
I’m willing to stump up a $10 scratchie that both Freo and Bris finish above you.

*Friendly bet*

**No, the offer is not open to all and sundry.
Yes, Brisbane fans are quite bullish about next season. Hopefully your dream injury run will last and Lions depth will not be exposed. Consider 2nd QClash last year as a warning :) Suns were missing 9 best, Lions 2 - yet Lions barely sneaked in.

What position do you expect Lions to finish?

Also I am curious about Hipwood. I have seen some pictures of him early preseason and he seems still quite skinny. Is it his body type so he is not able to bulk up? Other players looked good.

I’m willing to stump up a $10 scratchie that both Freo and Bris finish above you.

*Friendly bet*

**No, the offer is not open to all and sundry.
You realise if we had beaten you in the last Qclash in round 22 where you only won by 4 points you would have come 17th and we would have come 15th. The gap between Brisbane and Gold Coast isn’t very big and we’re not the only team who lost their captain in the offseason

You realise if we had beaten you in the last Qclash in round 22 where you only won by 4 points you would have come 17th and we would have come 15th. The gap between Brisbane and Gold Coast isn’t very big and we’re not the only team who lost their captain in the offseason
First Qclash was even better. Suns were missing 4 best 22, Lions full strength. In the game Suns handled Lions well until the last quarter when Suns were cooked. With normal schedule and hopefully Alex Rigby impact Suns should be able to pressure teams for much longer periods this year.

Yep, well aware what the ladder positions would have been.

We didn’t lose our captain. Might have slipped your memory, but Zorko finished the year as our captain.

If you’re referring to Dayne Beams, who stepped down as our captain half way through the season, I amongst others, was very critical of his performances on field last year, and don’t believe his loss will be as big as some might expect.

Jarrod Berry and Harris Andrews are the two born leaders at our club, while this year is to early for them to be named captain and vice captain, they’re certainly driving standards at our club and will be in the leadership group.

I’ve said it before, I believe the gap between Brisbane and GC is two years.

I believe a lot of our improvement will come from the continued growth and development of our second and third year players, with our mature recruits, except for Lachie Neal who’s a genuine gun, providing more depth rather filling out our best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back