Suns in the Media - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As much as I love Charlie he at best is a medium sized intercepting defender. Even though he has the height he doesn’t have the strength to play as a key defender. Collins is also more a intercepting defender as well, so there is definitely a spot for Day there
1 season in - I dont think we have seen Ballard's best footy yet. Could have a 10+ year career and be anything. 3rd tall defender not beyond the realm of possibility at all for my mind

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So he pulled up lame rather than the usual twist or hyperextension.
Sounds odd.
The heading sounds like Hamilton is suggesting the dreaded ACL.

Poor old Rory is just injury prone - Collins and Hombsch will cover the two central back spots - I'd leave Day up front with Wright and makes a pretty strong and durable spine (with Day a possible exception) but he needs one good injury free year to show how good he can be.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Terrible for Rory. Had arguably career best year last year and now coming into a contract year. Was probably hoping for a gun year to get that last good contract for his career.

In my head I feel like we can cover him okay, but still feel gutted. I think it's just because we all have a soft spot for him given he's a foundation Sun and a really nice guy.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Terrible for Rory. Had arguably career best year last year and now coming into a contract year. Was probably hoping for a gun year to get that last good contract for his career.

In my head I feel like we can cover him okay, but still feel gutted. I think it's just because we all have a soft spot for him given he's a foundation Sun and a really nice guy.
Hombsch, Collins and Burgess will now play a key role in defence. I think we will be ok if we can apply pressure on the balls coming into the backline.

Gutted for Rory though.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
*, two ACL's before round 1. gutted for rory, was hoping he could shine this season with may gone. echoing sunny's sentiments that he's such a vital player for the gold coast area being a local and foundation player.

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just when things were starting to look a little bit positive the Suns again get hit with a giant sledgehammer.
Was thinking all summer that the one big thing we needed was a bit of luck with injuries, now in the space of seven days everything has turned sour.
Rory is not the greatest player going around but is a guy who gives 100% and is by far our best defender.
How we stop other sides top forwards becomes a major concern.
Tomorrows game will give a couple of new guys a chance to show there wears against good opposition.
Good test for our midfield which I consider our biggest weakness going forward.Not sure we have the strength ,size or class
to trouble the better teams.
Really disappointed game is being played in the middle of the day in hot conditions.(ridiculous scheduling)
have a good weekend all.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Isn’t Leslie still on the list as well?
Only just now getting fit though, had no pre-season. I suspect ideally he won't play at all in the first half of the season so he can build fitness in the 2s.

KPD depth down back would be:

Collins
Hombsch
Burgess
Day
King
Leslie

KPF forward would be:
2MP
Corbett
Burgess
Day

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only just now getting fit though, had no pre-season. I suspect ideally he won't play at all in the first half of the season so he can build fitness in the 2s.

KPD depth down back would be:

Collins
Hombsch
Burgess
Day
King
Leslie

KPF forward would be:
2MP
Corbett
Burgess
Day
In desperate times Lukosius, Graham, Ballard can also play second tall in both defence/offence . Crossley KPF.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Exactly!!! One Job.

I think it is time, considering your expert knowledge, that you show to all us fellow in-advised SUNS fans and staff which of those injuries were avoidable?

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In desperate times Lukosius, Graham, Ballard can also play second tall in both defence/offence . Crossley KPF.
And it’s Groundhog Day again. Youngsters whose bodies are not ready being thrown into the deep end to battle it out against much bigger, stronger, fitter and more experienced opposition. Bashed up too early. Thank God we recruited Collins and Burgess rather than mids as our mature aged concessions.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it is time, considering your expert knowledge, that you show to all us fellow in-advised SUNS fans and staff which of those injuries were avoidable?

It’s wider than those injuries, there are players on the list still not ready on competition eve.
When you have a job there are results required. That’s what I go about doing Mon-Fri.
Their job-produce a healthy fit firing list for Round 1.
Has that occurred? Hell No.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And it’s Groundhog Day again. Youngsters whose bodies are not ready being thrown into the deep end to battle it out against much bigger, stronger, fitter and more experienced opposition. Bashed up too early. Thank God we recruited Collins and Burgess rather than mids as our mature aged concessions.
Not desperate times yet! :) It would not surprise me if we get 1-2 more mature bodies before March 15 or even during middle season draft.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
It’s wider than those injuries, there are players on the list still not ready on competition eve.
When you have a job there are results required. That’s what I go about doing Mon-Fri.
name one club that’s gone through a pre season without injuries? It’s a part of the sport, the game in its modern form calls for the players to be top tier athletes and therefore the clubs need to push those players over the preseason or be left behind

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seriously, your comments are something else.
I assume you do a great job Mon-Fri, with no injuries to you despite a lot of body contact.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
name one club that’s gone through a pre season without injuries? It’s a part of the sport, the game in its modern form calls for the players to be top tier athletes and therefore the clubs need to push those players over the preseason or be left behind

I hate saying this but Geelong’s list is pretty close to fully healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back