Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can you give a short summation of what he was on about?
Just defended the club very well with Robbo and Whately trying to bring it down with the usual Vic media drivel. Said he’s here for the long haul which the AFL have at least prepared to wait 25 years until we’re a success. Also mentioned how he had a private audience with the Pope which to me sort of said to them, we’ve got a heavy hitter in charge, we’re not just a bunch of northern yokels.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just defended the club very well with Robbo and Whately trying to bring it down with the usual Vic media drivel. Said he’s here for the long haul which the AFL have at least prepared to wait 25 years until we’re a success. Also mentioned how he had a private audience with the Pope which to me sort of said to them, we’ve got a heavy hitter in charge, we’re not just a bunch of northern yokels.
Robbo was trying to push the typical Victorian vitriol by questioning our long term viability and seemed taken back when Cochrane said the AFL were willing to invest for at least 25 years to make the Gold Coast Football Club solvent. For Cochrane it was just business as usual and he pointed out that people had the exact same criticisms of the V8 Supercars before it was highly successful (Tony was serving as the executive chairman of the V8 Supercars back then). Also, Robbo seemed far more interested in TC's connections to the Pope and Keith Richards, which probably speaks volumes about his professionalism as a journalist but it certainly gave the impression that Tony had friends in high places.

Towards the end of the interview, Robbo took another shot by asking how the AFL is going to get return once the 25 year commitment has elapsed. Cochrane then had to explain the return comes in the form of a gigantic rise in participation (approx 30k to 250k in the last 10 years). I'll also add that greater exposure in two of the three biggest markets in Australia (Sydney and south east QLD) means the AFL can continue to push their TV rights deal higher and that's tangible return on their investment.

So, there you go. Robbo did exactly what we knew he would and Cochrane came in with legitimate statistics and facts to dispute what he/Whately were saying.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Robbo was trying to push the typical Victorian vitriol by questioning our long term viability and seemed taken back when Cochrane said the AFL were willing to invest for at least 25 years to make the Gold Coast Football Club solvent. For Cochrane it was just business as usual and he pointed out that people had the exact same criticisms of the V8 Supercars before it was highly successful (Tony was serving as the executive chairman of the V8 Supercars back then). Also, Robbo seemed far more interested in TC's connections to the Pope and Keith Richards, which probably speaks volumes about his professionalism as a journalist but it certainly gave the impression that Tony had friends in high places.

Towards the end of the interview, Robbo took another shot by asking how the AFL is going to get return once the 25 year commitment has elapsed. Cochrane then had to explain the return comes in the form of a gigantic rise in participation (approx 30k to 250k in the last 10 years). I'll also add that greater exposure in two of the three biggest markets in Australia (Sydney and south east QLD) means the AFL can continue to push their TV rights deal higher and that's tangible return on their investment.

So, there you go. Robbo did exactly what we knew he would and Cochrane came in with legitimate statistics and facts to dispute what he/Whately were saying.
Is this the same Robbo that ran a headline recently asking everyone to give the AFLW a chance and stop rubbishing it?
That competition is costing far more to run than our club ever will. Robbo is all over the joint.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26121298/afl-draft-doerre-reselecting-top-20-2017-draft

Knightmare has done a few 'redrafts'
I've only read the 2017 version but it reads pretty nicely for us!
Considering Wil Powells trajectory could prove to be a very nice value draft for us.
+ Lachie Weller

I like reading Knightmare, but feel he over relies on stats, rather than vision.

For example, rating Brodie just ahead of Bowes. I remember watching one GC game last year, can't remember the opposition, and Bowes had some moments where his movement and time with the ball was very similar to McCluggage, where both players just seem more composed, able to find that extra space and time in congestion and able to pick the right option.

At the beginning of 2016 Will Brodie was firmly in discussion for the number 1 pick, with players such as SPS and Ainsworth. Largely off the back of his NAB Academy performances against Norths VFL team and can't remember who they played the week before. And largely because he was a bigger bodied kid, more able to compete against men early in the year.

We saw this every year with the NAB Academy, where the bigger bodied kids were rated highly, but often slipped somewhat by the draft. Last year, Sam Walsh was the first kid the buck the trend of the bigger bodied kids being rated more highly at the beginning of the year.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Big fan of the Cochrane.
Passionate but realistic.

Mistakes made but his focus is on fixing those mistakes and then improving the club in all areas. Good.

And accepts it will take time. A few years on field but more like 15 years to bed down the Suns in southern Qld. Good, because it will take time.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Big fan of the Cochrane.
Passionate but realistic.

Mistakes made but his focus is on fixing those mistakes and then improving the club in all areas. Good.

And accepts it will take time. A few years on field but more like 15 years to bed down the Suns in southern Qld. Good, because it will take time.
Yeah
I'll be dead by then. :oops:, but I guess it sets us up for some continued churn over the next 5 years
Bit more realistic than a premiership in 2015

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
The only bit that raised some alarm bells, was when Cochrane was talking about Stewie Dew. There was something there that didn't quite sit right. Very much felt like a "he's got the full backing of the board" statement, two weeks before the coach gets canned. Not saying that's going to happen, but it's the vibe, as an outsider, that I got.
Knowing someone that has spoken to a someone high up at the Suns (so 2nd degree information) words along the lines of 'We should have had Stewie Dew from the start' came up, the higher ups seem to really love the bloke.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The only bit that raised some alarm bells, was when Cochrane was talking about Stewie Dew. There was something there that didn't quite sit right. Very much felt like a "he's got the full backing of the board" statement, two weeks before the coach gets canned. Not saying that's going to happen, but it's the vibe, as an outsider, that I got.
I got quite the opposite vibe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs

Really?
You must have gone into that interview thinking that Dew was not up to it as a senior coach.
I am reserving judgement, but that interview showed very strong support for Dew from the Cochrane. If you came out thinking the vibe was off, strongly suggest you went into it with that view.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coastrecruit Anthony Miles opens up about his journey to the club and his ambitions for Suns
Tom Boswell, @TomBoswellGCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
17 minutes ago

If we bring what we do well, that’s the pressure and doing the basics well, win our contests, there is no limit on where we can get to this year.
We’re here to win premierships.
The promise and signs this club is showing you are going to want to be around in a few years because things are moving pretty quickly.

Coming up here you have look at the stadium, the facilities and the Gold Coast lifestyle, I have just been blown away by that aspect.
The other aspect of the playing group have been extremely tight knit and welcoming as well which has made my transition really easy. I have loved since I have arrived at the club.
The club is extremely well run. It’s one of the things I didn’t know coming up here.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Gold Coastrecruit Anthony Miles opens up about his journey to the club and his ambitions for Suns
Tom Boswell, @TomBoswellGCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
17 minutes ago
Wouldn’t it be great if this became the narrative instead of all the negative BS

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
1552716163127.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back