Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Ummmmmmm....

We finally (finally) have a set up where young players are keen to stay b/c they like the club and not b/c they are being overpaid. That merry-go-round had to stop and the signs looks good that it has at least slowed down. Lots of credits in the bank for that.

After a massive clean-out, foundations are being laid.

There will be some collateral damage along the way. Not every good footballer will be happy with how they are going, not every staff member will stay the course.

But does anyone remember the shemozzle of the last couple of seasons? This year is several steps up from that rubbish. Don't let perfect get in the way of the good things that are happening.

I have a decent memory so I am more than happy to give the current program a lot of rope. A lot.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Can’t believe that old chestnut is being rolled out. Thought we’d buried that well and truly.
Be great to see a 20 team competition with Tasmania and maybe Canberra in it.
I don’t care if it reduces the competition Quality a bit. More access to fans and players and a bigger pie would be good.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can’t believe that old chestnut is being rolled out. Thought we’d buried that well and truly.
Be great to see a 20 team competition with Tasmania and maybe Canberra in it.
I don’t care if it reduces the competition Quality a bit. More access to fans and players and a bigger pie would be good.

Would be better to reduce the amount of teams in Melbourne

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Of course I read the article and will said exactly what I’ve been saying for the past two year.
View attachment 689881
Dew is a very stubborn person and he hates it when people challenge him, that’s something the board have ask him to work on.

Don’t get me wrong I think he can be a successful coach but he needs to change a few things.
He runs and hides from conflict instead of facing it head on
This is an issue apparently

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
This is an issue apparently

Isn't there a match committee that select the teams (i.e. more than one person) as opposed to one person who is unchallenged who could be letting personal biases affect selection

TheSecondComing

Senior List
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Isn't there a match committee that select the teams (i.e. more than one person) as opposed to one person who is unchallenged who could be letting personal biases affect selection
Team selection is just one of many issues that has been raised by senior players and board members after last season.

The main thing Dew was ask to work on was the way he deals with people (that included players other coaches and staff) that challenge him and have different opinions then him.
Atm he just shuts them down and wants nothing to do with them instead of taking the feedback onboard

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
For anyone that is familiar with the NBA

Dew might be our Mark Jackson
Sam Mitchell to jump on board in a few years and be our Steve Kerr.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Team selection is just one of many issues that has been raised by senior players and board members after last season.

The main thing Dew was ask to work on was the way he deals with people (that included players other coaches and staff) that challenge him and have different opinions then him.
Atm he just shuts them down and wants nothing to do with them instead of taking the feedback onboard
That sounds like a pretty big accusation, Do you have a source that backs up this claim?

TheSecondComing

Senior List
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That sounds like a pretty big accusation, Do you have a source that backs up this claim?
I was waiting for one of you two guys to say that.
It never get old.

You can believe whatever you want, but when you have someone with the credibility of eppo67 backing you up and you still have the audacity to questions us you don’t deserve our time.

Instead of accusing me of making s*** up go and talk to people at the club yourself.
Go to a Southport sharks game on the weekend and talk to some of our old coaches.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Don't get offended by the guy slagging on Dew due to what he's heard from people at the club and salty people who've left.

Coaches are humans like the rest of us. They have personality flaws like the rest of us. They develop like the rest of us. If that's the worst thing about Stewie then he will be fine. I know a few current and ex AFL players and my best mate plays state league with a bunch of ex AFL players. Some stories about the top coaches of all time would blow you away. They aren't perfect.

Also some of the best coaches are hard headed campaigners.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Dewey has also consistently maintained he’s building this side for two to three years time, so just maybe his decisions surrounding team selection and other things are driven with that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back