Suns in the Media - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coast player Brad Scheer earns senior call up as he pushes to earn a new deal with the Suns

The Palm Beach Currumbin State High School graduate said it provided enormous motivation to overhaul his body in the pre-season where he stripped 6kg from his frame to now hold 84kg.

“(The contract) has been a big motivation of mine,” Scheer said.
“Being on my last legs I may as well leave it out there and give it my all, work on my body and get that down pat.
“I have nothing to lose but hopefully that isn’t the case and I can play on.”

He managed to limit Boston to 21 touches while gathering 28 disposals and making eight tackles himself.
“I got a role, executed it and got the rewards,” Scheer said.
“That’s all I need to do for Dewy.”

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Excited to see what Scheer’s got. Sounds like he had a nice pre-season and was unlucky to get injured when he did but has done what he needs to do since returning.

Not a bad replacement for Holman IMO. Can play a similar role in the middle and can spend time up forward.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Gold Coast player Brad Scheer earns senior call up as he pushes to earn a new deal with the Suns

The Palm Beach Currumbin State High School graduate said it provided enormous motivation to overhaul his body in the pre-season where he stripped 6kg from his frame to now hold 84kg.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Scheery being assigned a tagging role in the seniors for a few games. I think it fast tracks midfielders to learn their trade a lot faster when your following the oppositions best midfielder.

And free up Touk for a more attacking role. See if he can start hitting those 30+ possession games and maybe a bit more outside to his game.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
I wouldn’t be opposed to Scheery being assigned a tagging role in the seniors for a few games. I think it fast tracks midfielders to learn their trade a lot faster when your following the oppositions best midfielder.

And free up Touk for a more attacking role. See if he can start hitting those 30+ possession games and maybe a bit more outside to his game.
I'd like to see this.
I don't think he's had the opportunity to put his best foot forward in the seniors in *most* of his other opportunities, as much as we talk about him being able to play forward, to me at least he seems like a pure mid, with no better forward craft than say a Touk or Miles etc.
Pretty sure one game against Melbourne he was given a role like Corkie suggests, going to Oliver (after Oliver was already on a hotstreak). So totally not beyond the realms of possibility.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just for fun as I consider Hamilton a terrible journalist and I don't trust anything he writes. This is what he wrote in Courier Mail yesterday

On Ah Chee
The former No.8 draft pick is one of the several big-name players yet to re-sign at the Suns after backing himself to earn a better deal with a strong second half of the season.

On contracts
Gold Coast are playing hardball with contracts as they try to build war chest to recruit Docker Stephen Hill and retain top-10 draftees Izak Rankine, Jack Lukosis and Ben King.
It is understood initial offers to Ah Chee, fellow West Australian Jack Martin and forward Sam Day were all under what the players had expected.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Just for fun as I consider Hamilton a terrible journalist and I don't trust anything he writes. This is what he wrote in Courier Mail yesterday

On Ah Chee

On contracts
As much as I love Sam if he and the other 2 aren’t happy with FAIR PAY as the days of over playing are gone then bye.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As much as I love Sam if he and the other 2 aren’t happy with FAIR PAY as the days of over playing are gone then bye.
Agree Biggun.
If it was a toss up between retaining those guys and attracting Stephen Hill I'm afraid it's bye bye
All of them decent servants but we need something elite in the midfield that can turn games, not jacks of all trades "doing a job"

Any of you with Twitter - check this - 7 Gold Coast News
View attachment 702218
I just watched it. A bit misleading. They make it out in that headline how playing senior footy will cause him harm. But he was just speaking about what it took to get him back in the team. His toughness from injury.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
I just watched it. A bit misleading. They make it out in that headline how playing senior footy will cause him harm. But he was just speaking about what it took to get him back in the team. His toughness from injury.
Didnt he say the wound from his surgery busted open in the last quarter, and he just played on? thats how i took it... doubt thats what his surgeon wants to hear :p

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
No doubt these footballers are tough cookies.

Report also said he was out for 14 weeks which isn't correct.

Hope he gets rewarded and some midfield time.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good at running does not mean you are a good footballer or know how to defence. Some running around like a headless chicken without any purpose when the goal dried up.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There was a good post on our board about the full article on AFL.com.

I hate to say it, but being one of the “top” distance running teams is not a positive.
Nobody claims that higher running numbers means better teams. Obviously, less possesssions and turning ball over leads to chasing opposition, increased running. Suns players did improve their running capacity this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back