Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is genius. Money maker and get young fans early. Give all of them family membership. Wonder if this will mean more carkparks now?
Great idea. Rather something like that than sending the boys to China to make a buck.
Just make sure Primus and Bluey aren’t in charge of their development and the kids will be fine

Great idea. Rather something like that than sending the boys to China to make a buck.
Just make sure Primus and Bluey aren’t in charge of their development and the kids will be fine
Absolutely. I think more clubs will be doing stuff like this with pokies and selling off games becoming less common.

Yikes.

We don't need more draft picks.

I look forward to hearing all about how we should fold etc from the media down here for the next week.
Nope. Two ambassadorial roles where the AFL offers say $800k+ for three years, outside the cap and list, for two Veterans around the 29/30 years of age who have genuine finals experience. The big caveat is that they aren't physically cooked and have a realistic chance of playing the next 3 seasons.

Nope. Two ambassadorial roles where the AFL offers say $800k+ for three years, outside the cap and list, for two Veterans around the 29/30 years of age who have genuine finals experience. The big caveat is that they aren't physically cooked and have a realistic chance of playing the next 3 seasons.
I like that. A pretty nice idea.

Yikes.

We don't need more draft picks.

I look forward to hearing all about how we should fold etc from the media down here for the next week.

We need a lot of something.

That is what the AFL have the power to provide.

Ideally we would want 3 A grade mids with 150 games experience but the way the AFL is set up you can not compel players to move.

It would be negligent of Cochrane not to open negotiations with the AFL by not asking for it.

I’m for helping the Suns.

It would require the AFL to come out and say they were negligent in your initial set up, not giving you a proper chance to succeed.

I’m dead against a beginning of first round pick, but I currently can’t see a better option, as others have mentioned, you can’t compel players to up sticks and move north.

Pretty sure if we added Walsh to our midfield this year the club would be looking a lot better. The midfield is the weakest part of our team. Being bad when the Blues were atrocious (how did they only win 2 games last year) has hurt us.

Also pretty sure that if we add Rowell and Anderson to the mix next year our best 22 would look a lot better as well. Would take #1 as a priority pick quite happily when we really need gun mids. Can only get a PP once, but this is the year to do it. Ask away Tony.

I’m for helping the Suns.

It would require the AFL to come out and say they were negligent in your initial set up, not giving you a proper chance to succeed.

I’m dead against a beginning of first round pick, but I currently can’t see a better option, as others have mentioned, you can’t compel players to up sticks and move north.

That is a major part of the problem. We keep trying to overpay for B grade players looking to move but they keep saying no to a move. We offered more to Jeremy Howe and Seedsman, as examples.
There are enough options for that type of player that moving interstate to a non-footy state, especially with a young family or a girlfriend, is well down the list.
We are stuck with second chance players that no-one wants and that you hope comes good (Mitch Robbo a great example, but most are second chance players for a good reason), or overpaying C graders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you should get a "marquee allowance". The ability to offer 1 player in the league a ridiculous amount of money to lure them up here. Someone who can help draw crowds just like Gary Ablett did in the early days. And a priority pick giving you guys picks 1 and 2. That'll help generate buzz off field and help you guys become more competitive on field.

I think you should get a "marquee allowance". The ability to offer 1 player in the league a ridiculous amount of money to lure them up here. Someone who can help draw crowds just like Gary Ablett did in the early days. And a priority pick giving you guys picks 1 and 2. That'll help generate buzz off field and help you guys become more competitive on field.
What about a concession like GWS had - they were given priority access to 2 x 17 year olds but had to trade access for these kids out for picks or players or both. GC originally bid for O'meara and the crows bid for B Crouch. That way is does not compromise the draft this year and it will net the club picks / players in an auction style bidding process. The 17 year old kids cannot play AFL for 1 season but if clubs really are keen on a particular kid or 2, then it opens up some good avenues for GC this time around

What about a concession like GWS had - they were given priority access to 2 x 17 year olds but had to trade access for these kids out for picks or players or both. GC originally bid for O'meara and the crows bid for B Crouch. That way is does not compromise the draft this year and it will net the club picks / players in an auction style bidding process. The 17 year old kids cannot play AFL for 1 season but if clubs really are keen on a particular kid or 2, then it opens up some good avenues for GC this time around

Do you recall what was bid to secure these players?

Do you recall what was bid to secure these players?
The crows parted with multiple picks - 2 x 1st rounders - 10 and the phil davis compo pick. A similar scenario this year might have clubs trading multiple 1sts to get access to such kids and it could have GC end up with 4 or 5 1st rounders under such a scenario. That would be a nice little warchest to go after players from other clubs with!!

Gosh, I swear I'm not seeing things lol But I could have sworn someone made a comment about the priority pick and how it should only to be to trade for someone.
This is the very thing that was talked about on the couch tonight. They were saying how the suns don't need another 18 year old. I mean look at Walsh, he has made an impact, but doesn't change the win/loss ratio. Need someone willing to come to the coast, someone with experience.

If only it was like US sports and the players didn't get a say in where they get traded to. There wouldn't be this problem as we would have asked and got good senior players when the likes of JOM, Lynch and May left.

This is why the draft, trading and free agency is ultimately inherently flawed and the deck is stacked against us unless we can break the cycle and become competitive and then be in a position to be smart and manage ourselves like the Swans to have sustained success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back