Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEN Breakfast host Garry Lyon believes Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris would be a valuable addition to the Gold Coast Suns.
But before you complain about Lyon linking the corpse of Dale Morris to the Suns, he doesn't mean as a player:

Lyon suggests that Morris could make his influence felt in the coaches box rather than on the field at the Suns.

“Make him cultural coach,” he said. “Pay him what he needs to be paid.”

“It’s like a virus. Embed him in amongst the group and let his goodness spread.”

Here are some stats and facts for us all you espouse when we get the arguments The Suns should fold or relocate to Tassie, its also why we won't

“Facts don’t lie, the total participation this year in Queensland in AFL is up 5.2% to 265,760 registered participants.”
Cochrane went on to speak about the success of the Queensland Schools system, with 578 teams registered in the AFLQ Schools Cup in 2019, up from 174 in 2015.
Next year the Schools Cup is projected to surpass 600 teams.
“The Schools program and competition participants totalled out this year at 202,609 – that’s the third-highest in Australia behind the up-and-coming states of Victoria and WA,” Cochrane said.
“Female participation this year has peaked at 111,642 which is up nearly 19% of the previous year.
“We even have accredited over 4,000 coaches now in the great state of Queensland and over 3,000 umpires, so we let everybody participate.”
It’s not just in the Gold Coast region either, the game has also grown substantially in the SUNS’ Academy zones in North Queensland.
The total participation rate in schools and clubs in North Queensland has grown to 50,00 players, with roughly 20,000 of those being females.
Participation on the Gold Coast and Northern New South Wales is up to 59,000, with Cochrane pointing out 10 years ago that figure was 20% of what it is now.
“So in both our zones combined, in a non-AFL state as we’re constantly reminded, we have nearly twice the participation rate of the entire state of Tasmania,” The SUNS Chairman said.

Anyone else notice Michael Whiting's change of tune on AFL.com.au this week? He seems to be suggesting we could be on the way up and a rapid rise could be on the cards in the near future.

Anyone else notice Michael Whiting's change of tune on AFL.com.au this week? He seems to be suggesting we could be on the way up and a rapid rise could be on the cards in the near future.

Should save this opinion until we get the PP

Rarely says anything positive about us so can only assume it’s to stop us getting assistance

Where is the article?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll admit I’ve really only watched the Hawks when they play us.

Burgoyne has always come across as the quiet type on the field.

I’m not sure he’s in the same mold as Hodge as an on field general.

Burgoyne does have some leadership qualities, but he's not Hodge. Add onto the fact that I think he's just as old as Hodge and we're offering him multiple years? He has maybe one year left in him at about 10-15 games. That's it. Starting to break down now with hamstring injuries.

It does reek a little bit of desperation.

Burgoyne does have some leadership qualities, but he's not Hodge. Add onto the fact that I think he's just as old as Hodge and we're offering him multiple years? He has maybe one year left in him at about 10-15 games. That's it. Starting to break down now with hamstring injuries.

It does reek a little bit of desperation.

Burgoyne is 2 years older then Hodge he was born 1982 while Hodge was born in 1984.

Brisbane got very lucky with Hodge, who is a fantastic leader and still had plenty of good footy left in him. Brisbane also has a very good and underrated young backline with Andrews, Gardiner, Witherden, Answerth and another experienced head in Rich. Now everyone thinks that by finding another Hodge, it will help poor teams rise again. News flash - Luke Hodge’s don’t grow on trees. Burgoyne is very close to the end and is no Luke Hodge. Sounds like Malceski mk3 (given Hanley is Malceski mk2). Big NO from me.

I would, he looks good in a well structured quality team, we are neither of those things. It would be a waste of money and a list spot IMHO
There is not many that want to come anywhere, who you had in mind. I don't mind the negative but who is really out there that want to come. Please don't suggest nathan/zak Jones from sydney/Melbourne both disposal are bad in well structure team.
Name me out of 17 other club which are not well structure but got good players that are willing to come. I am happy to agree to your suggestion.
Adelaide?
Carlton?
Essendon?
And so on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back