Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOLD COAST SUNS

A few tweaks that coach Stuart Dew experimented with late in 2019 are set to become more regular this year. Gun tall Jack Lukosius, who played back during the second half of last season, has been training with the defensive group this off-season, meaning we’ll see plenty of his accurate kicking and rebounding off half-back. Lachie Weller, who spent the first half of 2019 as a wing/half-back before moving into an on-ball role, has spent the summer with the midfield group. Also expect recruit Hugh Greenwood to play mainly on the ball but float forward occasionally.

Swallow looks like the hulk and surprisingly Rowell isn’t far behind which is extraordinary

GHS and Brodie not so much

chemistry in the group is excellent
I'm surprised about Brodie. I thought he was really bulking up. That's not always a good thing though. Some blokes get carried away with adding muscle. Jesse Lonergan seemed to take it too far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised about Brodie. I thought he was really bulking up. That's not always a good thing though. Some blokes get carried away with adding muscle. Jesse Lonergan seemed to take it too far.
Brodie looked to be carrying a little bit of weight but that could be deceiving as most of the boys are ripped

Some players are stripping their weight. There is an article about it in GCBulletin. Wright is also much leaner.

Ellis was told by the Tigers midway through the 2019 season that he would be moved on, a decision that opened the door for his shift to Queensland where he will spend the next five years playing for the Suns.
“I was pretty shaken up and upset when I was told,” Ellis said.

“But it’s a business at the end of the day and these sorts of things happen.

The 26-year-old, who consulted with former Suns and current Tigers Dion Prestia and Tom Lynch before making the move, said he wanted to bring the same fun approach to football that enabled Richmond to go from a club under siege to one that has won two of the past three premierships.

The approach was made famous by vision of Tigers player Jack Higgins telling jokes between quarters.

It may be harder to cut-through at the Gold Coast where wins have been scarce but Ellis said that is exactly why they needed it.
“Football is just a game, it doesn’t define us as people,” Ellis said.

“It’s our job at the end of the day. I remember when I was playing football when I was young it was all about fun.

Some players are stripping their weight. There is an article about it in GCBulletin. Wright is also much leaner.

Brodie and Wright look like two of our 'heavier runners' so being a bit leaner will help them. As long as Peter continues to develop strength in the air.

If Brodie need to spend time on the forward line he needed to be less heavier.

“I want to bring a bit of fun up here as well.”

In the three months he’s been at the club the winger has already made an impact.

He’s a larrikin amongst the group and doesn’t mind trading banter with his teammates, which is a result of how comfortable he’s been made to feel in his new environment.

“Everyone’s been fantastic,” he said.

“The boys have made the transition as easy as possible – I didn’t think it would be this easy.

“They’ve welcomed me with open arms and I’m absolutely loving it.

“I think there’s some really good signs in the group and I think it’s going to be an exciting year for the SUNS.

Last edited:
He’s probably a top bloke but all I ever see of him on Instagram is down in Melbourne with his Richmond buddies...

probably totally wrong and I don’t know him at all but can’t help but feel like we bought a lemon.

happy to be proven wrong - sure I will

He’s probably a top bloke but all I ever see of him on Instagram is down in Melbourne with his Richmond buddies...

probably totally wrong and I don’t know him at all but can’t help but feel like we bought a lemon.

happy to be proven wrong - sure I will
Nothing wrong with that. He spent 8 years with them, so of course they are close. But he has changed this group already. Doesn't mean he doesn't love this team. What he brings cannot be learnt or taught.
I do believe he'll prove you wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back