Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s probably a top bloke but all I ever see of him on Instagram is down in Melbourne with his Richmond buddies...

probably totally wrong and I don’t know him at all but can’t help but feel like we bought a lemon.

happy to be proven wrong - sure I will
I expect him to run on the wing all day long. He actually defends his space well. Anyway, I am happy for Powell, Sharp take over his role in a couple of years if he does not deliver.

He’s probably a top bloke but all I ever see of him on Instagram is down in Melbourne with his Richmond buddies...

probably totally wrong and I don’t know him at all but can’t help but feel like we bought a lemon.

happy to be proven wrong - sure I will
No offence but I find this comment utterly strange.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

SUNS forward Sean Lemmens says Brandon Ellis has added a new wave of excitement with his professionalism and running prowess since his arrival at Gold Coast.
Ellis is two-months into his move to the Suns and has already made massive inroads, forging a bond with the playing group and helping set the standard at training after leaving Richmond at the end of 2019.

Lemmens said the 26-year-old’s influence couldn’t be understated.

“It’s exciting with the professionalism and running power of Brandon Ellis, it’s bloody good to watch,” Lemmens said.

“I hated playing on him when he was at Richmond, he ran too much, and it’s pretty similar here at training with his running.

“He brings a new level of drive and off the field he shows that genuine care for people, that family aspect that we want at the club.

“He is a really approachable guy who talks to everyone in the group.”

Finally got round to watching the merger on Kayo about the Fitzroy/Brisbane merger

love hearing how they were at Carrara in temporary sheds, that the Melbourne media wanted it to be shut down, that they played for 500 people and kept losing drafted players..

sounds strangely familiar

Must be a slow news week. Kane Cornes sticking the boot into us again over the Weller trade...

3. LACHIE WELLER

Trade:

Fremantle traded Weller to Gold Coast for Pick 2

What Cornes said:

"Gold Coast traded pick No. 2 for Fremantle’s Lachie Weller. Weller is a handy citizen, he’s a foot soldier … but pick No. 2? Goes to show how desperate the situation is on the Gold Coast."

If Weller is just a foot soldier, Kane must be a fireman, because he’s not a journalist’s a-hole.

Must be a slow news week. Kane Cornes sticking the boot into us again over the Weller trade...

3. LACHIE WELLER

Trade:

What Cornes said:

"Gold Coast traded pick No. 2 for Fremantle’s Lachie Weller. Weller is a handy citizen, he’s a foot soldier … but pick No. 2? Goes to show how desperate the situation is on the Gold Coast."

If Weller is just a foot soldier, Kane must be a fireman, because he’s not a journalist’s a-hole.

And the actual trade I think was #2 for Weller and #41........Freo got Brayshaw with #2, a pretty good MID who is on the improve and we got Weller and Ballard. I'm more than happy to have those 2 instead of Brayshaw...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. LACHIE WELLER

Trade:

What Cornes said:

As if the Beams trade wasn't worse.
Collingwood gave up 3 first rounders for absolutely nothing except controversy and headaches in beams.
We gave up pick 2 and got a guy that is talented, brings outside run and right in our perfect age group. And Ballard who is a rising star. Between the two of them they've played 71 games in the past 2 seasons and could easily play another 300+ games on the coast.

As if the Beams trade wasn't worse.
Collingwood gave up 3 first rounders for absolutely nothing except controversy and headaches in beams.
We gave up pick 2 and got a guy that is talented, brings outside run and right in our perfect age group. And Ballard who is a rising star. Between the two of them they've played 71 games in the past 2 seasons and could easily play another 300+ games on the coast.
Except that’s not true. Korne’s is way out on some of those trades. What Adelaide gave up in the Gibbs trade is incorrect as well.

Collingwood traded 2018 picks 18 & 56 and 2019 pick 16 for Beams and picks 41 & 44.

Two. And what a waste that was. But given we also got Quaynor who was first round pick. But it was warranted at the time. That's the thing. At the time of these trades, they seem like good ideas. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes it doesn't, but you've got to try.
I completely understand why Collingwood traded out their 2018 first, and got back a couple of later picks for the points for Quaynor, as they were never going to get the chance to use that pick.

But Collingwoods medical team should have vetoed the trade. Beams was physically cooked, and it was pretty clear to some of willing to speak up at the time, that he was mentally cooked as well.

I completely understand why Collingwood traded out their 2018 first, and got back a couple of later picks for the points for Quaynor, as they were never going to get the chance to use that pick.

But Collingwoods medical team should have vetoed the trade. Beams was physically cooked, and it was pretty clear to some of willing to speak up at the time, that he was mentally cooked as well.
physically you can work with, as he had some good games last year. But mentally? stuffed, and especially now. Well.. he aint coming back anyways. Prefer it gets dealt with and the club can move on. But nevermind, you learn from experiences. The group seem to be on the same page from what I've seen at training, so it's clearly better without him.

Hindsight is an easy exercise. At the time of trade, I did not read one post from Lions fans that Beams is physically and mentally cooked and wanted him to go. I personally thought that Collingwood payed too much but could understand the reasons, so called the last piece of puzzle. Beams started very slowly in 2018 due to missing pre-season, father's death but he had excellent 2nd half. At that time, I thought he still has 1-2 years in him and is still better than Neale. It turned out to be utter nonsense.

Personally, I don't like labelling Beams 'mentally cooked'. My daughter is a psychologist and she would be pretty unhappy with you about this label. It's a sickness/illness, it can be treated sometimes with success sometimes people don't get better or even get worse. From outside Beams issues started with father's passing. Moving home to Melbourne could help him. Unless you are Beams psychologist/psychiatrist I would stay away from judging his state of mind.

Last edited:
Hindsight is an easy exercise. At the time of trade, I did not read one post from Lions fans that Beams is physically and mentally cooked and wanted him to go. I personally thought that Collingwood payed too much but could understand the reasons, so called the last piece of puzzle. Beams started very slowly in 2018 due to missing pre-season, father's death but he had excellent 2nd half. At that time, I thought he still has 1-2 years in him and is still better than Neale. It turned out to be utter nonsense.

Personally, I don't like labelling Beams 'mentally cooked'. My daughter is a psychologist and she would be pretty unhappy with you about this label. It's a sickness/illness, it can be treated sometimes with success sometimes people don't get better or even get worse. From outside Beams issues started with father's passing. Moving home to Melbourne could help him. Unless you are Beams psychologist/psychiatrist I would stay away from judging his state of mind.
I’m talking solely on the field.

I’m fully aware of what he’s gone through. I’m also talking about what I personally saw onfield in 2018.

There were a couple of us on the Lions board who spoke up during the 2018 season.

No one (well very few) wanted Beams traded. But it was discussed right through the season, we had a thread for it. Largely on the back of Jake Naill and Caro’s reporting of rumours from Melbourne/Collingwood.

Except that’s not true. Korne’s is way out on some of those trades. What Adelaide gave up in the Gibbs trade is incorrect as well.

Collingwood traded 2018 picks 18 & 56 and 2019 pick 16 for Beams and picks 41 & 44.
ok, my point still stands.

I was there - some good talent for sure and given the conditions, some good movement by the red team particularly.

I didn't stay for the full game - it was very wet! For those who take a genuine interest in the young players potentially coming through, these are good games to attend. Some names to keep in the book who showed promise - Charlie Blok, Kaleb Baines, Rylan Matthews, Will Graham and Marlin Corbett. It'll be good to see who and how many get through to U18s in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back