Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think its a bad idea?
Yes.

Just trade him. We should have traded him two seasons ago, really. We've treated Brodie horribly - and it's still starting to get embarrassing by trying to up his forward craft. The guy is absolutely elite at winning the ball and getting it forward.

Yes.

Just trade him. We should have traded him two seasons ago, really. We've treated Brodie horribly - and it's still starting to get embarrassing by trying to up his forward craft. The guy is absolutely elite at winning the ball and getting it forward.
Yeah. I think it is better for him to go elsewhere. By the quotes, it doesn't imply his forward craft is going well; so why change him out of something that suits him (inside mid). There are clubs that will die for someone that he provides.

Yes.

Not sure why it's embarrassing. Even Rocket said that it will take min 3-4 years for Brodie to develop. Yes, elite inside skills, in early days nothing else, struggling to defend, struggling with tank. Getting some forward skills is handy, multiple positions is a necessity.

I was quite excited watching Brodie against Cats in the preseason. I thought he was one of the best, marked ball quite well. So I will disappointed if he leaves. Especially, after he extended, bought a house and wanted to take the team where it belongs in the preseason interview.

Maybe Greenwood or Swallow should pretend that they need a break 2-3 games. But I agree he is behind them and when Swallow was rested, Fiorini got an opportunity (I would prefer Brodie).

The problem I see is what will happen next year if Greenwood and/or Swallow go down? Who will be our inside bull? Yes, Rowell and Anderson will play significant minutes there but they are still young, possibly Fiorini if he is with us, Bowes. None of them has really the physical presence at the moment.

Will is fantastic overhead, brave and a ball winner
He at least deserved a shot over the repeatedly failing DMac

TBH Flanders has had a taste now, he'll be good in the future, but it's nut cutting time with Brodie.

Give Flanders a spell and give Brodie a chance to show something - give him a reason to stay by finding something as a forward who can pinch hit in the middle and come up to the ball at stoppages, a chance to showcase himself or prove to all he's not any good.

Just give him a chance to see what we've got at this level.

Out-of-favour Gold Coast Suns midfielder Will Brodie making a switch to the forward line

More quotes

Terms like “ not a bad kick” and “ going ok” are code for not in our plans. This is going to come back to bite us when he is killing it at another club as an INSIDE MID which is what they ******* drafted him as

Terms like “ not a bad kick” and “ going ok” are code for not in our plans. This is going to come back to bite us when he is killing it at another club as an INSIDE MID which is what they ******* drafted him as

If the club think he's good enough they could just hold him to his contract.

If he's too far down the pecking order then he probably should go.

How many players leave that were not getting a game with us, that we didn't want to lose, and go on to be world beaters when they leave our club ...Trent McKenzie, Mav Weller, Henry Schade, Daniel Gorringe, Aaron Hall...

If the club think he's good enough they could just hold him to his contract.

If he's too far down the pecking order then he probably should go.

How many players leave that were not getting a game with us, that we didn't want to lose, and go on to be world beaters when they leave our club ...Trent McKenzie, Mav Weller, Henry Schade, Daniel Gorringe, Aaron Hall...
In fairness we have not had a history of players sitting in the 2s, apart from Schade all on your list were best 22 when healthy and this comes back to poor player recruiting

those that we didn’t want to lose that have gone on to bigger and better include Uncle Tom and Meatball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wants the gig beat Rowell or Greenwood at training and get the spot

feel for the kid as a few have passed him in the pecking order, but if he leaves and finds success good on him.

can’t play them all and unless he’s bashing down the door in the 2’s why should he get a game?
This has been my issue with the way Brodie has been developed the whole time though. He IS bashing down the door of the twos. He’s been in the best week in week out for 3 years now. You just have to look at his finish to last season to know that he has the talent to be in the team. Forced his way into the side round one too and got dropped after 95% of the team had a shocker vs Port Adelaide, as though he was the main issue. I’d hate to see him lose because the coaches wouldn’t reward 2nds form.

This has been my issue with the way Brodie has been developed the whole time though. He IS bashing down the door of the twos. He’s been in the best week in week out for 3 years now. You just have to look at his finish to last season to know that he has the talent to be in the team. Forced his way into the side round one too and got dropped after 95% of the team had a shocker vs Port Adelaide, as though he was the main issue. I’d hate to see him lose because the coaches wouldn’t reward 2nds form.
He isnt better then Greenwood or Miller though, you can't carry that many slow inside mids through the team. He is probably better as inside mid then Dave is atm cause Dave's body is half cooked but at least spitta can go forward. Our midfield is slow enough as it is, alot of the time we look like we are playing in quicksand when oppo teams break out of the middle away from us.

Tony Cochrane led the Qld. govt Bid, with its 90 page documentation, to procure the AFL GF for Brisbane.

A major part of his arguments to Goyder & Mclachlan were the current strong growth of GR AF in Qld.- &, possibly more importantly, how hosting the GF would turbocharge future AF GR growth in Qld- possibly "add an extra 120,000-1500,00 taking up the game in the next 5- 6 years" ie new AF participants in Qld. An ambitious claim.

(scroll to my posts #104, 107,108)

He isnt better then Greenwood or Miller though, you can't carry that many slow inside mids through the team. He is probably better as inside mid then Dave is atm cause Dave's body is half cooked but at least spitta can go forward. Our midfield is slow enough as it is, alot of the time we look like we are playing in quicksand when oppo teams break out of the middle away from us.
I actually think ceiling wise he is better than Greenwood, which is why I’d be rotating Greenwood and Swallow between Mid and forward and keeping Brodie as centre. His clearance work is on par, he is quicker than Greenwood and he gets more of the football. Needs to be playing.

I actually think ceiling wise he is better than Greenwood, which is why I’d be rotating Greenwood and Swallow between Mid and forward and keeping Brodie as centre. His clearance work is on par, he is quicker than Greenwood and he gets more of the football. Needs to be playing.
Reckon Greenwood is a better clearance player then Brodie, and a lot better defensively as a mid. I get where you are coming from, its going to be unfair on someone that's just football

Greenwood is 3rd in the AFL for stoppage clearances and 10th in centre clearances at the moment and leading the tackles by 23 for the AFL this season. Brodie does some nice things, but his impact is not on the level of Greenwood.

Greenwood is 3rd in the AFL for stoppage clearances and 10th in centre clearances at the moment and leading the tackles by 23 for the AFL this season. Brodie does some nice things, but his impact is not on the level of Greenwood.
Reckon Greenwood is a better clearance player then Brodie, and a lot better defensively as a mid. I get where you are coming from, its going to be unfair on someone that's just football
Factoring in that he's still young to my evaluation, But remember that Brodie was 7th in the competition for average centre clearances last year, and thats including the couple of games where we seemingly parked him at FF to try and improve his offensive output. Greenwood is also 6 years older than him so i'm giving him a bit of 'benefit of the doubt' in regards to comparing them on clearance work.

Defensively, Greenwood is miles ahead as far as outside spread and pressure are concerned, but I think the whole 'brodie doesn't defend' argument is also just shortsighted. he averaged 5.5 tackles last year which is more than solid and had 10 tackles against Carlton head to head vs Patrick Cripps in his last game in 2019. He's not an outside player. We're also blessed in the sense that Miller, Greenwood and Swallow are all generally defensively minded midfielders and really it's only been Macrae this year that has absolutely dominated against us.

I also just think that development wise, Brodie's ceiling is higher than Greenwood. He's had games where he's absolutely dominated opposition midfields and he's only been in the AFL side 20 times.
Consider:
28 disposals, 10 tackles, 6 clearances vs Carlton
29 disposals, 9 marks, 9 tackles, 1 goal, 6 clearances vs North
24 disposals, 3 tackles, 8 clearances vs St Kilda
27 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances vs Sydney
27 disposals, 6 tackles, 6 clearances vs Carlton

I'm also not advocating him in the side over Greenwood, Miller or Swallow. Greenwood I absolutely love his work and he's been way too important to consider dropping, Miller has taken the next step this year and his and Swallows leadership is crucial. But Brodie also offers something our current mids, minus Rowell lack, which is the ability to accumulate plenty of the ball.

If I were in charge of team selection I would drop flanders back to the 2's to develop, park Brodie at Centre where he plays his best football, and rotate Greenwood and Swallow (who can be genuine forward threats and secondary marking targets) in that forward pocket spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back