Suns in the Media - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Not sure whats the difference in price in terms of finals tickets. the last two years in finals, while pies members got early access before the public, I think my tickets for weeks 1-3 was probably.. uhh between 50-70 concession. I'm not sure what the price was for the general public if you didn't have a membership.
Don't think its about the price its about getting more of a chance to get the tickets. I have a mate who is a Eagles supporter but buys memberships for the giants every year cause he knows they will play finals and if eagles plays them he gets 2 chances to get tickets.

Don't think its about the price its about getting more of a chance to get the tickets. I have a mate who is a Eagles supporter but buys memberships for the giants every year cause he knows they will play finals and if eagles plays them he gets 2 chances to get tickets.
That's a sneaky yet smart.

And very good point. Big games could sell out finals tickets before it gets to public sale. And even if it hadn't, by the time the public goes on sale, all the good seats are gone. You have to deal with top level.

For Solomon, it was near midnight on his trip home from the club’s Round 11 draw with Essendon on the Gold Coast when he got the first indication he may depart the club.

It came on the back of COVID forcing the reduction of football department salary caps by around $3 million.

“I was surprised when I was called in for a meeting to have a chat (with football manager Jon Haines). They suggested there was no role for me next year,” Solomon said.

“I spent 10 years there. I was heavily invested in the future so that was a bit of a surprise to me that I was one of the coaches who wasn’t going to go ahead on the journey.

“The playing group are a ripping group, there are some great characters there. They have some good times ahead and I would have loved to have been part of that.

“If someone said to me that when (inaugural Suns coach) Guy McKenna rang me and said I got the job that I’d have 10 years at the footy club that I would have taken it every day of the week so I’m grateful for that.

“I probably just didn’t see it coming.”

Solomon said he didn’t get a detailed reason about why he was leaving or why other coaches remained outside the 2IC.

“We didn’t get to that point. The decision was made due to COVID. In hindsight, if I had my time again I would have dug a bit deeper but it is what it is.

“It’s a really tough time for so many people during this period, the reality is I’m pretty lucky compared to some.”

Speculation mounted about a potential fracture in the relationship between Dew and Solomon.

Dew has publicly denied it and Solomon said there was also no angst on his end.

“We got on well. Dewy is a very good coach. His football brain is very sharp and I learnt things from him,” Solomon said.

“That talk doesn’t bother me. There was nothing from my side. I do wonder why (I left). I still had two more years on my contract. Who knows, Stuey came out and said publicly it was nothing so that is all we can go with I guess.”

Solomon and the Suns agreed he would finish the season with the team but the scrutiny around his exit led to his decision to make the club’s 63-point win over North Melbourne in Round 14 on August 30 his last.

It meant Solomon could only say his goodbyes in person to around half the list in what he detailed as an emotional farewell.

“At that stage there was a bit of media and in the end it’s about the players,” Solomon said.

“They didn’t need it, the club didn’t need it and I didn’t need it as far as the negativity.

“It got to a point where it was becoming an anchor for everyone.

“It was hard saying goodbye. The players were amazing. They all lined up and shook my hand and gave me a hug. I have been blown away by the message from the players. That puts me at peace a bit, knowing I have had some impact on them.

“My philosophy with coaching was that it was more about the person than the player. The player comes second. If you help support and shape them to be great humans then the footy will flow on the back of that.”

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
No? where was that said? Maybe he could, but he seems to have moved on. I doubt that would be his line of thinking.
Tom Browne was asked on Sevens coverage where does Solomon go next. He said “he could sue the club, Essendon would be pretty keen to get him as is other clubs but he has a major business interest in Queensland that he is pretty invested in”

Tom Browne was asked on Sevens coverage where does Solomon go next. He said “he could sue the club, Essendon would be pretty keen to get him as is other clubs but he has a major business interest in Queensland that he is pretty invested in”
In the article, he mentions he will take the next month to weight up options, but is opening up a gym in NSW. So we'll see where that lands. He could totally do both if he decides to. Has gotten calls from clubs about prospects.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

"Could sue the Club" only if both parties didn't come to terms on his contract......can you see that happening or has that appeared in the public domain anywhere else....No! I haven't seen it anywhere else either...so once again this bloke just sprouts sh*t that will hopefully keep him in a job.

He is the perfect example of : "believe NOTHING that you read and only half what you see".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back