Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, power to him and I hope he goes well but it just feels weird seeing him back so soon. After what I heard he was incredibly burnt out and needed a big chunk of time away from footy
What you heard is from media.

Francou was in charge of development before covid/HUB hit.
Francou will join the club as Head of Development & Integration and be responsible for overseeing coaching and development throughout the GC SUNS Academy, NEAFL & AFL programs.

I like the Shaw appointment and I think he'll flourish outside of Victoria like he did with the Swans. I'll just throw this out there because why not.

Does getting Rhyce Shaw potentially increase the chances of Bailey Scott requesting a trade to us? Let's be honest, North are in absolute shambles right now and look a long way off playing finals. Clearly Bailey would have a closer relationship with Shaw than any other coach in the AFL right now so I wonder if that may be used to convince him to come home. I'm not entirely convinced he would actually make our best 22 right now but it would be a feel good story to bring a highly rated GC junior home when we (hopefully) start our serious push up the ladder. I also know several posters on here don't like the way he handled the situation and the baggage that comes with his father so I guess that's a factor as well.

I guess we are all wrong , this new developmemt coach replace all three fracou , Nick Malceski and Andrew swallow . Cost cutting - paid one but get three role .

YOUNG SUNS RISING
Gold Coast is edging closer to a finals spot
COACH STATUS
Coach Stuart Dew has a further two season on his deal, which will take him through until the end of 2022. By then, Dew would want to have his young side well and truly in contention.

The Suns entered the AFL in 2011 and are still yet to play a final. This club needs success, but surely this time it has gotten the formula right.

This talented group should put together a period of sustained success for Gold Coast. Only mismanagement and horrendous luck will prevent them from doing so.

The club needs to do whatever it takes to hold on to its core of young stars. Noe excuses.

GAME PLAN
In 2018, Dew instructed his team to play one-on-one and focus on fundamentals, and now a system is being installed. They have an average age of 24, which is the youngest in the AFL, so it will take some time.

But there is a bit to work with. Gold Coast loves Ben King's sharp acceleration and fluent set shot, and Matt Rowell is a jet.

Tough midfielder Hugh Greenwood has become the Suns' ozone layer and was the AFL's No.1 pressure player of 2020.

As a team, the Suns' pressure was off the charts. Despite finishing 14th, they were ranked No.5 for pressure.

But the Suns need to improve their turnover game. They conceded the sixth-most points from a turnover and ranked 12th for points scored from turnovers this year.

Too many of their players hack the pill, and they need to find some good ball users.

TRADE TABLE REPORT
It was a quiet trade period for the Suns. They considered making a play for now ex-Magpie Adam Treloar, but that failed to materialise. It's probably for the best - Treloar is not a great kick and they already struggle with their ball use.

They added some speed with Rory Atkins and former Tiger Oleg Markov for little cost. Big man Peter Wright and a future third-round selection departed in return for a future fourth pick.

THEIR 2020 DRAFT HAUL
Even at pick seven, Eliijah Hollands is considered a steal for the Suns. Some recruiters say he could have gone as No.1 had he not ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament last February.

The explosive mid-forward wants to get back in time for the start of the 2021 season, but the Suns should be cautious. He's a long-term investment.

Gold Coast did very well out of the draft, pre-listing academy stars Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey on to its primary list before the draft.

It was a big win for the Suns as both players would have been top-20 selections on the open market. They continue to stockpile young talent.

PLAYERS THEY CAN REINVENT
It's not exactly a reinvention, but one of the big questions regarding the Suns is whether the excitement machine Izak Rankine can add a layer of consistency while still keeping the showboating brilliance.

Hamstring and hip issues prevented the form No.3 draft selection from making his debut in 2019. But the forward burst on to the scene last year with some eye-catching efforts, including three goals on debut.

He was, however, accused by some of getting ahead of himself - at times trying to take the spectacular option when it was not needed. Rankine is still finding his feet and the experience will come. The priority, though, should be on his consistency.

READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP
Matt Rowell burst on to the scene like a blazing Haley's Comet to open 2020. He chalked up three best-on-ground efforts, then was wiped out for the season with a devastating shoulder injury.

He has shown he has the toolkit to dominate games at the elite level. But can he do it for a season?

It will be fascinating to watch. Opposition teams are fully aware of his ability, and no doubt they will test his close-checking and heavy hits on that rehabilitated shoulder.

Ben Kind is the Suns' other budding superstar. If he manages a level of consistency, a 50-plus goal season is not out of his reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he was kept but moved to a different role now taking forwards im pretty sure
In another word , actually before covid too many staff doing the same role .
Even Hawthorn change Sam mitchell role for next year .
copy from wiki Sam Mitchell

He is currently serving as the head of development with the Hawthorn Football Club and head coach of Hawthorn's VFL affiliate team, the Box Hill Hawks.

* My opinion is purely guessing not fact , guessing mean google information and match with what other club do with this covid cutting staff situation and compare .

Last edited:
I like the Shaw appointment and I think he'll flourish outside of Victoria like he did with the Swans. I'll just throw this out there because why not.

Does getting Rhyce Shaw potentially increase the chances of Bailey Scott requesting a trade to us? Let's be honest, North are in absolute shambles right now and look a long way off playing finals. Clearly Bailey would have a closer relationship with Shaw than any other coach in the AFL right now so I wonder if that may be used to convince him to come home. I'm not entirely convinced he would actually make our best 22 right now but it would be a feel good story to bring a highly rated GC junior home when we (hopefully) start our serious push up the ladder. I also know several posters on here don't like the way he handled the situation and the baggage that comes with his father so I guess that's a factor as well.

I can’t see Scott breaking into our best 22, and if he did come no way would he be taking under the average wage.

I’m not saying we are super good but we have his positions filled

Shaw is a phenomenonal appointment. Every club in the league would have been looking at him as a player development guy. That's what he is amazing at. Builds awesome relationships with players and gets the best out of them.

This is one I'm really excited about.
100% he will flourish with some Vitamin D.
Seriously my friend who was let go from the Club thinks it's an excellent appointment and he is highly regarded especially in the area the Club has appointed him. Thinks Head Coach was just not his particular skill set.

Any mentions of Heath Shaw potentially joining our list as a SPP for one year? He has said he is open to going around another year and could provide good leadership for our young backline.

I can’t see Scott breaking into our best 22, and if he did come no way would he be taking under the average wage.

I’m not saying we are super good but we have his positions filled
I'm not entirely convinced our outside mid depth is as strong as some think. That's potentially an open spot for Scott if he continues develop.

Kaine Baldwin

Many observers believed the pack-crashing Glenelg forward would have been a top-10 selection if not for consecutive anterior cruciate ligament injuries. The 18-year-old has moved to the Gold Coast for study and will play for the Suns’ under-19 academy squad in the NAB League. Although he is not due to return to the field until April or May, Baldwin will be tough to overlook if he shows he is over his knee issues.

Kaine Baldwin

Many observers believed the pack-crashing Glenelg forward would have been a top-10 selection if not for consecutive anterior cruciate ligament injuries. The 18-year-old has moved to the Gold Coast for study and will play for the Suns’ under-19 academy squad in the NAB League. Although he is not due to return to the field until April or May, Baldwin will be tough to overlook if he shows he is over his knee issues.

Good move for the club to get a look in at a promising forward who has has some injury issues.

Kaine Baldwin

Wow. I had heard a rumour we where really into him but didn't have the draft picks available. Guess that rumour was true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back