Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. What traits is Fiorini better than Dave? I can't see any. Both are ordinary kick, but Dave is still faster, can play forward, shows more urgency, pressure. Most importantly, Dave is a class above Brayden in contest and tackling.
If we're comparing Dave and Fiorini 2019 (because he was barely played last year)

Fiorini is a better accumulator and tackler. He also provided more goal assists, and had more effective disposals and metres gained with less turnovers.

Forward wise their career average is 0.3 goals (Fiorini) vs 0.5 goals (Swallow), which would say that while yes, he is a better forward, neither are particularly adept forwards.

I also think his lack of speed is greatly over exaggerated in here. He may not be a bradley hill wing type but he finds plenty of space within the contest.

People have massive beer goggles when it comes to Swallow. I have absolutely adored the guy as our first ever pick in the draft, an absolute rock solid servant of the club and a great captain, but that doesn't change the fact that with all the injuries he's accumulated, he's become a shadow of the player he could have been.

Disagree. What traits is Fiorini better than Dave? I can't see any. Both are ordinary kick, but Dave is still faster, can play forward, shows more urgency, pressure. Most importantly, Dave is a class above Brayden in contest and tackling.

Fiorini Avgs more possessions has a better kicking efficiency ( but they are both poor), takes more marks and is 5 years younger so to me has more upside than Dave

tackles are 4 to 4.3 so not a massive difference but I agree that Dave is superior in the contest.

If we're comparing Dave and Fiorini 2019 (because he was barely played last year)

Fiorini is a better accumulator and tackler. He also provided more goal assists, and had more effective disposals and metres gained with less turnovers.

Forward wise their career average is 0.3 goals (Fiorini) vs 0.5 goals (Swallow), which would say that while yes, he is a better forward, neither are particularly adept forwards.

I also think his lack of speed is greatly over exaggerated in here. He may not be a bradley hill wing type but he finds plenty of space within the contest.

People have massive beer goggles when it comes to Swallow. I have absolutely adored the guy as our first ever pick in the draft, an absolute rock solid servant of the club and a great captain, but that doesn't change the fact that with all the injuries he's accumulated, he's become a shadow of the player he could have been.
For me it comes down to Dave would put his body on the line time and time again for the club where Fiorini just doesn't. Spitta is a heart and soul leader and to remove that for someone who plays similar but doesn't have that same leadership would be very silly

For me it comes down to Dave would put his body on the line time and time again for the club where Fiorini just doesn't. Spitta is a heart and soul leader and to remove that for someone who plays similar but doesn't have that same leadership would be very silly
Personally, I would keep him in over Fiorini for the same reason

but there is a real logjam of slower accumulator types in our midfield right now and I think realistically we can only have 2 of Greenwood/Swallow/Brodie and honestly, I see more upside coming from Brodie and Greenwood.

moot point though, he’s not going to be shifted out of the team, it just saddens me to see where he’s ended up due to injury. Was a real rolls Royce, generational mid type of player early on. Sad that his production has really dropped off and he’s starting to be a liability with his leg speed and kicking imo.

Hi Team,

New Episode of the podcast is up on Youtube for anyone that needs to fill in 36:03 mins of their lives. Predicting the upcoming season of fixtures as well as looking forward to the WC game this weekend.

Thanks to the guys who gave it a listen last week :)

Great discussion!

I do think though some people aren't giving us enough credit. I am actually pretty optimistic about the West Coast game, saints, blues, pies games where we can snag some wins and seriously put us in the spotlight.

I'm thinking we will get at least 10 wins this season

Great discussion!

I do think though some people aren't giving us enough credit. I am actually pretty optimistic about the West Coast game, saints, blues, pies games where we can snag some wins and seriously put us in the spotlight.

I'm thinking we will get at least 10 wins this season
Great to be positive mate but temper those expectations a little. We are still coming from a long way back

Brandon Ellis on Sauce
“He is probably one of the most powerful athletes I have ever met,” Ellis said.
“Literally in the gym he squats more than 200kg and benches more than 130kg.
“He is an absolute beast and he is so young. He has done a lot of ruck work this year alongside (Witts) and learning a lot from him.

“He was probably going to be our backup ruckman with Zac Smith and Matt and also go down forward, take a big mark and kick goals.
“It was unfortunate how he did it. It was in a little tackling drill and his leg just gave way the way like Cam Rayners’ did when we played (Brisbane). It is going to be a long road back but we will support him the whole way.”

Alex Rance motto
“Alex changed the word ACL from anterior cruciate ligament, to ‘always celebrate and laugh’.
“I’m going to tell Sauce (Conroy) that. There are going to be some tough times but if you can always go back to ‘always celebrate and laughing’ then hopefully that will help him get through and speed up the process.”

Last edited:
Hi Team,

New Episode of the podcast is up on Youtube for anyone that needs to fill in 36:03 mins of their lives. Predicting the upcoming season of fixtures as well as looking forward to the WC game this weekend.

Thanks to the guys who gave it a listen last week :)

I listened on Spotify today to all 3 episodes.. good show and glad to have something else to listen to at work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching making your mark. It was a great doco to promote our great game. Was a bit unfortunate or disappointing that there wasn’t as much Gold Coast or Stuart Dew in the doco as other clubs especially Richmond- felt as if most of the episodes heavily focused on Richmond over the other clubs.

Just finished watching making your mark. It was a great doco to promote our great game. Was a bit unfortunate or disappointing that there wasn’t as much Gold Coast or Stuart Dew in the doco as other clubs especially Richmond- felt as if most of the episodes heavily focused on Richmond over the other clubs.
Good reason not to watch it, I’m sick of Richmond. Haven’t even watched the last couple of GFs to the end. Can’t stand the thought of Uncle Tom getting a medallion for joining a team that was already a premier

Hi Team,

It's our post round 1 podcast with Keegan, Matt and special guest Lincoln to talk all things Suns after our loss to West Coast in Perth. Slow starts, Matty Rowell, Mr 100% Jack Bowes, Hitting targets by foot, who impressed and who didn't.

We also touch on the North Melbourne game and how it is a must win for the club if they want to make progress.

Heard on 9 News Gold Coast tonight that we're currently running a promotion for Gold Coast juniors who sign up to play for a local club and by doing so they will receive a free football. It must be working because they also said our junior participation numbers are already up by 15%!

This is probably partially to do with the momentum in Queensland footy that was built last year but I'm sure the promise of a free footy is helping as well. A 15% increase in junior participation is significant and getting it right at the grassroots level will set us up nicely for the future.

Having a successful season on the field would definitely help as well! Anyone who is involved in junior footy on the GC would know a lot of local kids want to be the next Dusty Martin and currently support Richmond but we need to start winning on the field so these kids grow up wanting to be the next Matt Rowell/Ben King/Izak Rankine and dream of running out onto the ground in the red & gold guernseys.

Heard on 9 News Gold Coast tonight that we're currently running a promotion for Gold Coast juniors who sign up to play for a local club and by doing so they will receive a free football. It must be working because they also said our junior participation numbers are already up by 15%!

This is probably partially to do with the momentum in Queensland footy that was built last year but I'm sure the promise of a free footy is helping as well. A 15% increase in junior participation is significant and getting it right at the grassroots level will set us up nicely for the future.

Having a successful season on the field would definitely help as well! Anyone who is involved in junior footy on the GC would know a lot of local kids want to be the next Dusty Martin and currently support Richmond but we need to start winning on the field so these kids grow up wanting to be the next Matt Rowell/Ben King/Izak Rankine and dream of running out onto the ground in the red & gold guernseys.
Confirmation of the statistic provided on the news:

Despite the COVID-19 pandemic interrupting football at all levels last year, head of AFL Queensland Trisha Squires said there was no sign of the game slowing down with a 15 per cent registration increase on the Gold Coast already.

Really like this initiative. Anyone who played junior footy and had an AFL player visit their club at some point will have fond memories of that time. I especially like that Budders will go back to Labrador and Rory will go to Southport. That should instil a bit of belief with the juniors at those clubs that it is possible to make it to the AFL if you're a kid from the Gold Coast!

AFL Queensland: 25 rising stars of the game

Nice article. I will put SUNS belonging players into academy thread.
Auskick, community football and school-based competitions are all growing, while women and girls now make up nearly half of all participants in Queensland.

It comes as the re-emergence of the Brisbane Lions as a footy force has delivered the club an all-time membership record of31,000, passing the previous record of 30,941 set in 2004 after the historic premiership three-peat.

Brisbane TV audiences for Round 1 of the AFL last weekend were also up 47 per cent on last year, and 54 per cent compared to 2019.

Players registered with clubs in Queensland is forecast to hit 40,000 in coming weeks – the highest ever, according to AFL Queensland.

Last edited:
We want to make our fans proud: Stuart Dew (goldcoastfc.com.au)

We are behind you. Let's make finals for the first time in club history!

View attachment 1088290

It’s concerning if true, if we are still over paying then this team will not stick together as if (as an example) King becomes a 80 a year goal kicker we have no money to keep him

how does a team like Carlton pay big money for Saad, Williams, McGovan and Martin when you already have Cripps, Walsh etc and still have “wiggle room”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back